We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I don't want to mark all posts at once as read, just single threads.
    I've often wished for something like this as well; when looking at the list of unread posts I can usually tell if I want to read a post or not, but have to open it in order to get it marked as "read". So a "mark as read" button in the post list would be nice.
      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
      • 21 Posts
      Quote from: thapriest86 at Dec 08, 2012, 10:40 PM
      I would suggest auto closing posts after a certain time period (say two months).

If that is a close for new replies, i agree. Otherwise, disagree. I, as a beginner revo user, get alot of info of topics that are much older than that.

I would like to support this view. As a relatively new user, I also often find a lot of help from older posts, particularly when the issue is something a bit niche that doesn't come up that often.

I don't want to waste other people's time by asking questions which have been asked before.

Equally older posts with no replies just clog up the system.
        • 793 Posts
        Kudos for the new categories! smiley
          • 110 Posts
          Quote from: AMDbuilder at Dec 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
          Quote from: markh at Dec 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
          I do like the idea of hiding posts that were marked as spam X times, but that needs some more thought to prevent abusing it to get rid of posts someone simply doesn't agree with.

If you limit users to reporting a post as spam only once, and require say 5 different forum users to report a post before removing it, you should be fine I would think.

I think you could even take it a step further and say that in addition to a post needing at least 5 different users reporting it as spam, the number of spam reporters has to be at least 25% of the total views of the post. In that case, a post with 200 views would need 50 reports of spam, not just 5.

Then, if you really really wanted to take it a step further, you could factor in the original poster's number of posts, age of account and reputation (track record of past spam reports) and generate a user-specific spam threshold. Then apply that same formula to the users reporting a post as spam to determine how trustworthy the report is. In that case, Mark's posts would have high credibility while a brand new user's posts would have much lower credibility. At the same time, we would limit the ability of a new user to come in and just mark everything as spam or post spam that is hard to remove.

As a last resort to the above, the author of a spam post could also have the ability to dispute it, which would send it to a moderator. Also, to make this system truly effective, accounts that are frequently producing spam would be terminated.

I think with a little tweaking, an automated spam filtering approach could be effective and eliminate a great deal of moderator interaction. I look to Stack Overflow on almost a daily basis and I wish MODX had something similar. A reputation score could help push the forums more in that direction.
            Sal Sodano
            President & Co-Founder of SkyToaster
            My Website Salscode.
          • We use Rampart a lot to keep spammers from registering. It has tremendously cut down on the amount of spammers that make it to the forums. It will be interesting to get some feedback and community participation on spam remediation when Discuss is released later this month. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • I'm still confused over how Rampart actually works. The docs don't make that very clear. Been meaning to ask though.
                Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
              • As far as I can see, it's a blacklist made up of username, email, IP addresses, including allowing access to Project HoneyPot's blacklist. It uses a plugin so that anyone coming in on a blacklisted IP will get a custom 403 Forbidden page.

Three snippets to use as pre-hooks are provided for Formit, Registration and Quip that check username and/or email against a blacklist. It also provides a Registration email verification feature. [ed. note: sottwell last edited this post 11 years, 5 months ago.]
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • There is a lot happening with Rampart. If we don't finish documenting it before the Discuss release, that's high on the list of priorities for soon thereafter.
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • Ok, is it just me or did something get organized a little funky like... If 2.0 is being archived it should be moved into that area imo (same in Evo section).

This just seams weird to me, anyone else?
                      Patrick | Server Wrangler
                      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                      • 236 Posts
                      I feel there is some crossover between sections. Take the following as an example "Revo Discussions & Support", "Revo Development", and "General Support" They all tend to feel a bit like a support free-for-all mixed up with discussions. I think it would be helpful if these categories could be a little more distinctive, at the moment they all feel a bit blurred imo. There are Revo specific support requests in "General Support" and vice versa for example. If this could be clarified I think it would really help with navigating the forums and knowing the appropriate place for your post. These categories need there own identity is maybe what I'm trying to say?

Not sure if I've made much sense there, maybe it's just me. It's a bit tricky to put your finger on.