We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • As I've seen on other forums with less than always useful search, a choice to use either the Solr or Google on the forum pages would be nice.

I haven't had much luck seeing other sources of information with the google site:forums.modx.com search string, usually what I need is in the first page of results.

Those who would use google will end up using it anyway, it would just be simpler using it within the forum if there was a choice.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
      "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
      Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
    • Quote from: rethrash at Jan 04, 2013, 04:40 AM
      We have stayed away from Google Custom Search because there are private resources that also need to be searched. That's why we use Solr (for now).

How about Sphinx? It really works well with MySQL. http://sphinxsearch.com/about/sphinx/
        zaenal.lokamaya
        • 143 Posts
        Quote from: rethrash at Jan 04, 2013, 04:40 AM
        Appreciate the offer and feedback very much; the search definitely needs improvement on how it weighs results.

We have stayed away from Google Custom Search because there are private resources that also need to be searched. That's why we use Solr (for now). Would love to have some help working through solutions to the challenges whether it's Google CSE, Solr or otherwise.
        I have created a CSE and PM'd Ryan with details. I'd like to start with a limited audience of 1, then 2, then add more people to beat it up slowly. Stay tuned...
          Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.