We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • As we look to streamline MODX, and make it easier to get help, we thought a reorganization of the forums is in order. Many topics could likely be merged, and we may want to reorganize other areas. If you have any thoughts or suggestions on how we should approach this, please let us know here.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
    • I would suggest auto closing posts after a certain time period (say two months). It's always weird reading a post that's a few years old and no longer relevant, but one person responded so it's back in the spotlight.

My thoughts on reorganizing would be:

• Combine Evo Legacy into one category
      • Restructure Add-ons to match extra site catagories
      • Combine Evo Core Dev/In Dev/Addon Dev - Evo is basically abandon so no sense in the three topics
      • Combine Revo Core Dev/MODX Next - They are slightly similar
      • Combine Blue Sky and Web Lounge
      • Combine General Addon and Revo Addon topics - basically the same

The archive could likely die off if you really wanted to clean things up, but you never know when one of those old posts could come in handy...
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 265 Posts
        I would suggest auto closing posts after a certain time period (say two months).

If that is a close for new replies, i agree. Otherwise, disagree. I, as a beginner revo user, get alot of info of topics that are much older than that.
        • Thanks for the reminder. I don't think we've ever consider removing posts that are topical. We have nuked spam posts and spammers. But an auto-close would be an interesting idea to prevent necro-posting (bringing back ancient topics from the dead that may no longer be relevant years later). 90-days for some reason seems like a good necro-posting threshold for a warning, and six months to a year for preventing reviving old topics outright. (You can always start a new topic and reference the old one with a link.)
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • I would say do a warning at two months (60 days) and close the topic at three months (90 days). I can't think of a three month old topic worth reviving personally, at that point a new topic should be required to avoid confusing the issue.
              Patrick | Server Wrangler
              About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • Great suggestions overall Patrick … open for any more, too!
                • 98 Posts
                I would think Patricks points cover 80% of it, so that's a great start smiley

I'm quite new at the forums, but I have experienced most of Patricks points, especially the ones touching on MODx Evo. I would love for Evo related stuff (general categories and extras) to all just be put under LEGACY .. well hidden away from me .. or at least well separated from Revo stuff smiley

An other small issue I've come across is keyboard shortcut CTRL + R, takes you to Quick Reply .. and reloads the page at the same time. Would be great if this was configurable from the forum settings.

---
                [EDIT]
                I have an other suggestion that maybe doesn't belong in this thread, but I'll just shout it out.
                I would love to be able to rate forum posts, OR to be able to say "Thank you" by a click.
                XDA Developers forum has this Thank you feature, and I think it's great since most viewers just don't need to give a full reply on a post, but just acknowledge that it's been read and that the viewer likes it. It would certainly give more life to the forums.
                .. Maybe a "Nice" button, with a little counter and expandable list of people who "Niced" it .. you get my point smiley [ed. note: Eminos last edited this post 11 years, 4 months ago.]
                • Quote from: Eminos at Dec 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
                  An other small issue I've come across is keyboard shortcut CTRL + R, takes you to Quick Reply .. and reloads the page at the same time. Would be great if this was configurable from the forum settings.

The shortcut to reply is just "R", so indeed ctrl+r would do both actions... I agree that can be annoying (especially if you just want to refresh). What do you want to make configurable, using the shortcut at all or what shortcut you use?
                    Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                  • So far the actual functioning and behavior seems very smooth.

What irks me is the layout; having the right sidebar causes longer usernames to extend and overlay whatever is next to it. But then I think I have my browser set to enlarge the font so I can read it, so that probably has something to do with it.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                      • 793 Posts
                      I confirm this. You would have to downscale several steps to get rid of the overlay - to a scale that the text becomes unreadable...