We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 345 Posts
    For those interested, I always thought this was a nice implementation of a table free gallery.

The Tutorial
    http://www.icant.co.uk/articles/dyngallery/

and the actual gallery example
    http://icant.co.uk/articles/dyngallery/gallery.html

Definitely I would rather have a fluid design with CSS margins/padding to space them appart. Glad to see that in the "To Do" list.

Just some ideas.
      • 345 Posts
      Problem.

I have the snippet on my server now, but I’m getting an upload problem.

When trying to upload a single 1MB jpg file (or multiples) and I get the error message...

« MODx Parse Error »
      MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
      « PHP Parse Error »

PHP error debug
        Error: 	imagecreatefromjpeg(): 'assets/galleries/75/21100_0091.jpg' is not a valid JPEG file	 
        Error type/ Nr.: 	Warning - 2	 
        File: 	/homepages/35/d146950517/htdocs/modx/assets/snippets/maxigallery/watermark/Thumbnail.class.php	 
        Line: 	183	 
        Line 183 source: 	$this->img["src"] = ImageCreateFromJPEG ($imgfile); 	 

Parser timing
        MySQL: 	0.2272 s s	(23 Requests)
        PHP: 	0.4760 s s	 
        Total: 	0.7031 s s

It looks like a valid jpeg file and the file opens in both Photoshop and Google’s Picassa. Any idea what’s causing this? Is upload timeouts a symptom of having friendly URLs enabled?

AND...

Upon further investigation the files appear to be uploading to a sub folder, but they don’t show up in a gallery or the gallery manager. So does that mean the Jpeg thumbnails aren’t being created or the mySQL database isn’t accessable. I checked and there is a modx_maxigallery field already there.

EDIT:
      Upon suggestion I resized the images to 1024 wide and they uploaded just fine. So apparently there’s some limit on my server.
        • 16 Posts
        Quote from: doze at Apr 06, 2006, 10:25 PM

Hi,

So I’ve been doing this more advanced gallery snippet for a while and thought, that it’s ready for the public viewing now. It is still pretty much work in progress, but very usable in the current state too. I started to work on this snipped based on EtoGal and many thanks goes to it’s authors (hugelmopf + mikef) for their hard work. MaxiGallery is evolved from it’s origin alot and have tons of great new features. Main features being:

Interesting to see what you’ve done with Etogal, but disappointing to see you’ve not provided any means for people to identify the original authors (a nickname from another board isn’t much of a credit!). I’d have thought a link to the authors’ sites to show what they’ve done with it would have been appropriate, and a link to the original source. (And, just out of politeness, a message to them to let them know what you are doing with it.)
          • 16 Posts
          Quote from: jbjones at Apr 09, 2006, 04:43 PM

For those interested, I always thought this was a nice implementation of a table free gallery.

Definitely I would rather have a fluid design with CSS margins/padding to space them appart. Glad to see that in the "To Do" list.

Just some ideas.

... and easily done already with the original Etogal and its support snippets.
            • 16 Posts
            Quote from: jbjones at Apr 09, 2006, 06:30 PM

Problem.

I have the snippet on my server now, but I’m getting an upload problem.

When trying to upload a single 1MB jpg file (or multiples) and I get the error message...

My guess would be that the upload is exceeding a PHP limit, either for maximum upload size, maximum memory usage, or maximum execution time.
            Try with a much smaller image, both in terms of filesize and pixels. A large filesize will have a direct on the three maxima above, a large pixel size will have an indirect impact - Imagecreatefromjpeg creates a bitmap image - and for a six Mpixel image image will require 18 Megabytes of memory just for the bitmap - this is likely to be larger than the limits configured for PHP.
            • Quote from: mikef at Apr 09, 2006, 07:58 PM

Interesting to see what you’ve done with Etogal, but disappointing to see you’ve not provided any means for people to identify the original authors (a nickname from another board isn’t much of a credit!). I’d have thought a link to the authors’ sites to show what they’ve done with it would have been appropriate, and a link to the original source. (And, just out of politeness, a message to them to let them know what you are doing with it.)

That’s a very fair statement. However the reality is that any communication from MODx to anyone at Eto is invariably labeled as "recruiting" or "promoting" or some other nefarious activity. So PMs are typically out and I’d honestly discourage people from using that channel for any purpose remotely related to MODx ... even tangentially.

Likewise, many folks don’t have their email addresses listed on their forum accounts so that channel is out, as all emails from the forum go through IPB and those are easily monitored by the forum owners (and I’m not saying they are, just that it’s easily doable). Etomite also makes it impossible to link directly to the snippet library, or at least it used to do so, so that’s kinda difficult too. Just like they  make it impossible to post even the mere word "MODx" on their site so communicating those things even via PM is an exercise in censorship, confusion, vagueness and/or futility...

I’m totally open to other reasonable suggestions about giving proper credit where credit is due. Thanks for helping keep us honest, fair and above board. smiley

P.S. Just took a look at your infrared photos... beautiful stuff! laugh
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 61 Posts
                Quote from: doze at Apr 09, 2006, 12:05 PM

Quote from: ddecjc at Apr 09, 2006, 11:09 AM

My $path_to_galleries is set correctly. The problem I’m having is that, when I set "embedtype" to "popup," the link that are created for the thumbnail images are incorrect.
                Oh, now I get it by looking at your site.. you have "Use friendly alias path" set to yes? right? I have not done any testing with that on yet, sorry. So I bet that’s causing both of the troubles you’re having.. I’ll release a new version of the gallery today as I have allready done some bugfixing, I’ll look into this problem now and hope I can patch it to the next version also.
                Didn’t have lots of time to play, but the new version appears to be working fine for me now. Positioning of thumbnails on the page is messed up in IE6 (this was true with original version, too), but I think that’s probably an issue with the CSS in my template.

Thanks for the quick fixes!
                  Dave
                  • 345 Posts
                  Another question...

I don’t undertstand what the following snippet variables mean:

&picture_target = [ number ] :
                  ID of the document what will be used for browsing the pictures, there must be the same snippet call in that target document with &is_target=`1` parameter added to the call.

&manage_target = [ number ] :
                  ID of the document what will be used for managing the gallery, there must be the same snippet call in that target document with &is_target=`1` parameter added to the call. If manage_target is not set, the document what holds the gallery will be used.

&manage_gallery = [ number ] :
                  ID of the gallery to be managed. The ID is the document ID of the page what has the gallery call. Use this to not having to go to the gallery page. Set the same parameters to the call what are in the gallery itself.

It looks like it’s telling the snippet which document it’s already inserted into. And since it works fine without those stated then I assume that’s not what they are used for. So, In what type of instance would those be needed? Or what do they actualy do?

• 4,213 Posts
                    Quote from: mikef at Apr 09, 2006, 07:58 PM
                    I’m sorry that the credits were not clear enough, I’ve edited my post and tried to make it more clearer. I have also removed the snippet from download and I’m now contacting you and the original creator of Etogal to confirm if I can proceed with this snippet without any problems. I have never tried to cause any harm and I’m sorry to see that you are not liking this. I have sent you a PM with more information.

Quote from: jbjones at Apr 09, 2006, 09:48 PM
                    I don’t undertstand what the following snippet variables mean: &picture_target = [ number ] &manage_target = [ number ]
                    You can set some other documents ID to these parameters and they will be used when you view the gallery pictures or manage the gallery. You have to have the same snippet call in these target documents, but add &is_target=`1` parameter to the call. So you could for example have a page what has a blog entry and some pictures related to the blog entry in a sidebar. Normally, when you click the thumbnails, it would open the larger pictures in the sidebar (if not using embedded display type) and that would mess up the layout of your site probably. You can instead use &picture_target and/or &manage_target to have the pics open in a different document where the snippet call is in more appropriate place of the template. Or if you want that the pic browser uses a competely different template.. and so on.

Quote from: jbjones at Apr 09, 2006, 09:48 PM
                    &manage_gallery = [ number ]
                    You can use this if you want to open the managing of some gallery straight away when entering the page. Try it out in some document and you’ll see what I mean. You can use it for example if you wan’t to create a "centralized" gallery management thingy.. smiley

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                      • 16 Posts
                      Thanks doze! - you have a reply. For my part I hope we can settle this amicably. smiley

rthrash - yes, communication between the two camps does seem unnecessarily hampered, but I don’t know the history (and don’t want to!). The inability to mention MODx is going to be a pain if we try to cooperate, but given that doze and I are working from a common code base its likely we will hit common problems from time to time, and it would be silly if solutions had to be found separately every time. (and even though the code may diverge with time the underlying tools (PHP, MySQL and the GD library) and their limitations will remain the same.)
                      and I’m glad you like the photos wink

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.