We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 93 Posts
    Although I am glad to see the "its my code base" issue being worked out amicably and like true gentlemen, it disturbs me that the progress of users/developers and more importantly the philosophy of OSS is put on the back burner by a seemingly counter point attitude of "give me my due or I will, will, say it again."

Thanks for working it out nicely guys. I am a deep believer in OSS movement and the philosophy behind it.

"I am less, that others may be more."
    -unknown
      • 4,213 Posts
      Ok, I have now talked to the original developer of etoGal (Frank Siegert) and he was very glad to see what I have done with etoGal. He gave his blessing to the snippet and also informed me, that they agreed together with Mike Finley that the etoGal snippet uses GPL licence. So there are no issues for me to continue my work with this snippet. I have also talked to Mike and he was glad to see that I changed the credits from the nickname to full name and included a link to his site.

I have also contacted some of the authors of the javascripts that are used in this gallery to ask what licencing they are using, because there was nothing visible. Everything used in this snippet is now confirmed to be either GPL, LGPL or Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Licence. So the snippet is absolutely free for any modifications and free to use in commercial projects. Just remember to keep the author informations intact.

I have done an extensive credits section to the head of the snippet what should now please all parties and I can go on with the developement of the snippet. And just to be perfectly clear, there is no grudge between me and the developers of etoGal.

This was a good lesson for me to learn, because to this point I have lived under the assumption that if open source code is posted somewhere and no licencing / copyright information is given, then I can use the code like it would be released under GPL. That is, to give credits for the original authors and release the code back as open source. But I was wrong and that’s not the case. If there is no licence information visible, you have to contact the author and ask for it! Otherwise it will be considered as stealing the code. But fortunently I found out everything to be under GPL/CC-attribution, so there are no worries. I will definitely make sure that every future 3rd-party class / script / whatever I use in this snippet will be either under GPL, LGPL or CC-attribution 2.5 so the snippet will stay for free to use in anyway you want.

I will now put the snippet back for download. Thank you all for your patience.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
      • Thanks for clearing it up doze. smiley
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 1,495 Posts
          That’s a fabulous job that you did that there Mr. Doze...

I’m looking forward for more features to be developed on this snippet.

Sincerely,
            Wendy Novianto
            [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
            [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
            • 4,213 Posts
            Going to tackle the templating feature next and I’m arming myself with your chunktpl library Wendy. ...So what’s the licence on that one? grin

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
              • 93 Posts
              Great job Doze. Thanks for the snippet and thanks for the grace you display.

Your snippet in action (roughly) at http://www.myndscapes.com click gallery.

Any chance there will be able to link to a gallery upload in a seperate page on the same site. i.e. link to a pic in a blog post? I looked at perhaps straight url copy that didnt seem possible. Any other ideas?
                • 4,213 Posts
                Quote from: jwtyler at Apr 11, 2006, 01:32 AM
                Your snippet in action (roughly) at http://www.myndscapes.com click gallery.

Any chance there will be able to link to a gallery upload in a seperate page on the same site. i.e. link to a pic in a blog post? I looked at perhaps straight url copy that didnt seem possible. Any other ideas?
                Looks like you’re off to a good start there.. You know that if you use &thumb_shadow_bgcolor=`99A0AA` parameter in your snippet call, you can get rid of that white space in your thumbnails (you have to reupload the pics). Also to get the slidebox navigation enabled, go to the picture management and click "save settings" so it will write the required xml file. I’ll fix this to the next release, that it’s not required to click that button after uploading pics.

If I got it right, you want to link to some pic of your gallery from another page? You can do it with building an url to the picture yourself, but because you are using the lightbox, you can’t see what the picture id’s are (Note to self: I should probably make them visible in the picture management for next release). But this is how you can link to a certain image: http://www.myndscapes.com/gallery.html?pic=16

So just ad the ?pic=[NUMBER] parameter to the link of your gallery and the picture in question will be opened in the normal browse mode.

• 26 Posts
                  Doze-

This is awesome. I haven’t set up a website in something like 8 years, and a friend of mine told me to start with MODx. I wasn’t sure how powerful MODx was until I saw this thread, installed your snipped and had a slick photo gallery in under a day. Thanks. Two things:

1) I couldn’t get things working until I told the pages to be uncacheable. I found that in one of the comments, but you might want to put it in your original post.

2) Speaking of attribution, I’m using this on my little website .. should I credit you in some way? At the moment, when people click on the galleries, they see lots of pretty stuff, but nothing that says "Doze wrote the gallery code" (or "Doze modified the EtoGal code to make this gallery code" or whatever).

Thanks,

-michael
                    • 4,213 Posts
                    Quote from: mglerner at Apr 11, 2006, 04:32 AM
                    1) I couldn’t get things working until I told the pages to be uncacheable. I found that in one of the comments, but you might want to put it in your original post.
                    Yes, I should probably make that more clear. If you have a cached page, you can still call the snippet uncached like [!MaxiGallery!] and it should work too.. If you have it on an uncached page, calling the snippet in the normal way [[MaxiGallery]] is the best way to go.

Usually whenever you have snippets on your documents, it’s most likely that they need to be uncached.. Depends on the snippet/usage though. I’ll put this info to the install guide, thanks for the input!

Quote from: mglerner at Apr 11, 2006, 04:32 AM
                    2) Speaking of attribution, I’m using this on my little website .. should I credit you in some way? At the moment, when people click on the galleries, they see lots of pretty stuff, but nothing that says "Doze wrote the gallery code" (or "Doze modified the EtoGal code to make this gallery code" or whatever).
                    No need to have any names visible anywhere on the front-end side. Just in the code.

• 826 Posts
                      That’s a fabulous job.

If I can allow myself, can one consider, in the futur version, the possibility of adding a function of protection against the copies of images and respect of the royalties.

Thanks.
                        Marc
                        I'm French... Sorry for my bad English, I use ' Google Translator' or other... but that remains that tools wink

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.