We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    I had the same problem here on modx forum a month ago while trying to login from Google Chrome but everything was normal form Mozilla FireFox. Weird!
      • 10 Posts
      I have spent two days on this problem, reading through these forums and Bob's Guide. It began when I tried to change my password within the manager to one that contained punctuation marks. When I next tried to login it didn't accept my new password or my old password. I tried the "Forgot your Login?" route but it didn't work. Changing the password manually in the DB's modx_users table didn't work. Cleared out files in core/cache manually, no dice. Restored files in core/cache from backup made 3 days ago, no dice. Log files contain no error messages. Tried changing value of session_cookie_secure in modx_system_settings to '0', no dice. Did likewise for compress_css and compress_js, no dice. Clearing out browser caches & cookies, trying from other computers, all fail.

Clicking Login only redirects to the manager login page.

I am on LAMP:
      Ubuntu 12.10
      PHP 5.4.6-1ubuntu1.3
      mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.31
      ModX Revolution, but can't login to Manager and don't know where else to look for the exact version

Does anyone have any other avenues to try? Might there be something with permissions in the core/ folder that could cause the behavior?

Thanks!
        • 24,544 Posts
        Later versions of MODX will warn you if you use punctuation in the password.

Here's what I think I'd do in your situation:

Back up the site.
        Upgrade the site to the latest version of MODX (you shouldn't need to log in to upgrade).

Install the same new version in a fresh new install somewhere else.
        Make sure you can log in to the Manager.
        Go into PhpMyAdmin and cut and paste the fields from the first record of the modx_users table from the new site to the same record at the busted one.

On the bad site, manually delete all files in the core/cache directory and clear your browser cache and cookies.

You should then be able to log into the bad site using the credentials from the fresh install.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 10 Posts
          Bob, thanks for the reply. I have a dev version of the site that's identical to the production site. I can log into the dev manager interface using the same credentials that exist in production's modx_users (and got the version number: MODX Revolution 2.2.4-pl (traditional)). So I performed the same operation you suggested between the two, copying the manager record from the working dev site's DB to the incapacitated production site's DB.

There was one difference in the record: dev, which works, had a value in the 'cachepwd' field and production did not. I updated the production DB's manager record but the production site still refuses entry.

I have gone through the files with diff and ensured there is perfect synchronicity between dev and production in file content, ownership, and permissions. I also ran utilities on MySQL to make sure none of the tables were corrupted; they all came back with a clean bill of health.

I do know the modx_session table is not identical between dev and production, because I truncated modx_session earlier as a possible remedy discussed in the forums.

Could this in some way track back to an odd caching issue? Is there a way to manually flush permissions on the non-functional production site so that the site will refresh itself from the settings in the DB, which are correct?
            • 24,544 Posts
            Be sure to delete all files in the core/cache directory and clear your browser cache and cookies.

I'm not sure about the session issue. I think Login does use a $_SESSION variable as part of the login process, but I'm not sure of the details.
              My MODX Extras
              • 10 Posts
              Thanks again for the reply, Bob. I finally got back in by editing the default admin user record in modx_users to point to another email I have access to and to have a different username. I don't know why that worked when changing the password in the modx_users table and logging in with the old username didn't. It's perplexing. So, since it's a voodoo solution it probably won't help anybody else out who has this problem, but on the off-chance it might I thought I'd post it here and call this one SOLVED for me.
              • I had this issue with MODx a couple of times (which were solved by changing the compress_js and compress_css system_settings to 0) with newly installed versions but not with existing functional sites.

I worked on two sites upto October and returned this January 6, only to find I cannot log in to neither of them. Tried a couple of the suggestion made on this post. No joy.

The last thing I did worked: Repaired the session table and because sometimes clearing cache via the browsers Internet Options fail to work, I decided to restart the system and viola!

Note this trouble and solution was on a local development environment.
                  • 1 Posts
                  Quote from: igregurec at May 19, 2013, 07:09 PM
                  I had the same problem here on modx forum a month ago while trying to login from Google Chrome but everything was normal form Mozilla FireFox. Weird!

I am having the same issue and Firefox also works while Chrome does not.

Is there a replacement manager login screen that I could use?
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Do you have any add-ons in Chrome? If so, try disabling them.

Many of us use Chrome with MODX every day.
                      My MODX Extras