We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    That sounds interesting, even ryan said he was having troubles with friendly URL’s on IIS, but then he’s got the killer apache setup, so why bother.
    Hosting Review Control Panel Round-up gave the h-sphere control panel 5 stars, and I don’t think they rated anything else that highly that I could tell.

Friendly URL’s with Plesk control panel’s might be a problem then?
    I had a host all picked out with that one, should I keep shopping.
    There’s no rush I guess.
    The homepage for h-sphere control panel is just http://hsphere.com
    thanks.
    • If you’re going to pay for hosting, why not buy a plan on an Apache/MySQL host? You can’t go wrong with hosts like Media Temple or Dreamhost for affordable but pretty darned good hosts.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1 Posts
        I thought you were ignoring windows IIS posts wink

It’s all about what can I do, when I get a chance on Windows Server Boxes, where I work (learning curve).
        When I can persuade them, that php cms’s are too cool to ignore...
        I’ve got to persuade them to install PHP for starters, that’s the first obstacle.
        Unless I can just have them configure a really cool server just for me & ya never know.
        First on the list before all of that is getting them to upgrade my POS 600-something pII processor, with only 256 Ram, and sometimes less than 1 gig of free hard-drive space, and no place to back up anything.
        That’s some issues right there >:(
          • 1,732 Posts
          Friendly URL is very easy to confiure on IIS. All you need to do is to make sure that you have your custom 404 and 405 settings redirected to /index.php!

I’ve never used Plesk for windows so I don’t know how possible it is but if there’s a section to configure custom error pages then it should be simple as mentioned above:

* Custom error page 404 point to url /index.php
          * Custom error page 405 point to url /index.php

That’s it! No .htaccess or rewrite rules!

If you really need to rewrite rules I think there’s a package somewhere on the net that allows you to do just that. I think you can search for "IIS rewrite rules" or some other combination.
            xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
            • 1 Posts
            How’ld they do it... posting a link to a code solution for a CMS(mambo) that substitutes for using mod_rewrite on IIS...
            forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=1255 SEF without mod_rewrite
            Could any of this code be applied on modX someplace to produce the same results?
            Just wondering, if any of this code was applicable here. Keep in mind this is code from a different CMS system, I’m just trying to get a grasp on the coding techniques, thanks.

simple way to avoid the mod_rewrite ability in order to use SEF urls

Apache
            1. Enable SEF in mambo configuration
            2. do NOT rename the htaccess.txt
            3. open /includes/sef.php and change this line: (~ line 217)
            return $mosConfig_live_site."/".$string;
            to
            return $mosConfig_live_site."/index.php/".$string;

IIS
            for IIS or if you can’t get the above working use :
            return $mosConfig_live_site."/index.php?".$string;

it could also be needed to add this to your sef.php

$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = (isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) ? $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] : $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']);

// Append the query string if it exists and isn't null
            if (isset($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']) && !empty($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'])) {
              $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] .= '?' . $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
            } 

Feel free to move this to general discussions threads, please do.
              • 12 Posts
              I realize this issue has pretty much passed but I thought I would share some info I had found on the subject ... getting MODx working on a Windows ISP server.

I had actually come across this a while ago but had forgotten about it until I just tried a new MODx install on my Windows ISP. I was having the same problem with getting a blank page or just ending back at the admin login page when I tried to login. That’s how I came across this thread ... I was searching for an answer why. Reading this thread jogged my memory.

I had found that after I added the following code, at the top of the file manager/includes/config.inc.php, I was able to login as the admin.

ini_set("variables_order","EGPCS");   //was set to "no value"
              ini_set("session.save_path","\\tmp"); //was set to ".\"

I hope this may be of help to others.

Regards,
              Dennis
                • 242 Posts
                hello xwisodom,

a long time ago you said
                All my modx installations uses IIS. So I have no problem with it thus far

mmh, i have a installation on a iis as well, but iam not sure about the pathes and get a login error on diffrent machines.

1. paths.

the real path(document_root) is d:\iis\w023\www\

if i set the filemanager path to "/iis/w023/www/" (forward slashes, no masking or driveletter), the file manager will appear correctly.

but the ressourcemanager show a empty window with all kinds of notations i know "d:\\iis\\w023\\www\\assets", "d:\iis\w023\www\assets" or "/iis/w023/www/assets/"

2. login

i can login with no problems, but the editor of the site can’t, he get always the message "could not load DBAPI class". I try all my browsers, i can’ t comprehend his problems... no idea..

3. manager

if i save a document or an other item like sippet, plugin, etc. the following screen in the right frame is emtpy... no idea...

Thats it.. i am going to desperate....

Tank you for all, help, links, whatever.

ciao, Stefan
                sorry for my english
                  • 4 Posts
                  I just installed modxcms on a Microsoft SBS 2003 and got it up and running. Permissions are a bit funny. The fact that a user does not have write or modify access to a file does not make it ’read only’ in windows. That little check must be present in the properties window for php to consider that file read only.