We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hey I’m having trouble finding the specific information needed for windows IIS installation.
    I’m still trouble shooting the install and would like to make it work.
    I can’t seem to track down anything, or i’ve just missed it.
    Putting windows iis install or whatever in the forum search just brings back be more specific... how to use the search better for one thing too then.
    But just post me the links I’ll dig.
    Specifically now I can’t log in to the manager, I managed to get the latest install, I’m going to have to deal with what exactly needs write permissions, that’s such a gray area, making it easy to give up all together, but I’m stuck with windows hosting, in my work environment for one. I’m not a developer by trade just a designer.
    thanks for any roadMaps all ya’all.
    I think maybe I could google the forum’s better than the site search seems to be working, maybe I’ll try that.

Wow... no responses at all so far...
    I can’t log in to my manager section, it’s really just the second glitch in my install, no doubt there will be more on my host, I’ll try to push through it but without some suggestions I’m sure I’ll have no luck.

Can anybody clarify any of these comments regarding write permissions and cache issues:
    That config file is the latest version (0.9.2.1). It is a permanent file that MODx uses every time it connects to the database (meaning constantly), but it never needs to be written to again as long as the database connection info stays the same. I’ve uploaded these manually many times instead of using the installer to write them and it’s never caused a hiccop.

The images are all stored in the images folder. You don’t really need to allow write permissions on that directory either if you don’t mind uploading your images via FTP. It’s actually more secure if you do it that way, but you do lose the ability to upload images from within the admin scripts (and gallery scripts won’t be able to make thumbnails ad whatnot either).

I’m not 100% sure about the cache files, though. Someone who knows should weigh in on that one. I know that you can turn off caching and therefore not use the document cache file, but I’m not sure whether you can do that with the publishing cache file and I’m also not sure whether these files need to be executable or not (they do end in .php, after all).

Paragraph one I’m good with I did manually upload the config.inc.php... anybody needs help with that PM me.
    thanks again.
      • 1 Posts
      bump*ed grin
      Use it or lose it...lol!
        • 1,611 Posts
        Hello again -

Well officially the directories that should be writeable are:

• /assets/cache (and its files)
        • /assets/export and
        • /assets/images
        So your first step is to try setting those as writeable and see what happens (although you should still be able to run MODx with some limitations without making images or export writeable).

The only question hanging there is due the fact that your host insists that a writeable directory can’t also be executable. So this means that the cache files will not be executable, and I don’t know if that matters or not. If it does matter, you can turn off caching of documents but I’m not sure what would happen with the publishing cache file in that case (anyone?).

If you still can’t login to your manager, tell us what’s happening and what you’ve changed recently that may be affecting it so we can try to figure out why.

RE: the forums search - I don’t know about the forums here, but in general I find that no forums search for 3-letter or shorter words, so IIS would be ignored (and Windows and install are very common terms). Have you tried putting "windows iis" in quotes? Quotes are often the magic solution to such searches.
          "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
          • 1 Posts
          I really didn’t try quotes or anything in the search, just takes some practice I suppose.
          I didn’t change anything in the manager...Here’s a link to the install the only way to get to the bottom of it I suppose.
          I’d have to change the password to allow anybody to know that.
          http://www.goproshop.com/modX921/ go to this directory and that’s where all of the files are, I couldn’t get any page to even load at the manager link. One day old install and I’ve already lost interest for now, bummer. sad
          Again I changed nothing in the setup files just overwrote the config to get one of those in there.
          My username for manager was still just admin, but I can’t share the password just now unless i change it to a generic one,
          Thing is it just comes up a blank page anyways.
          Not sure about the cache files issue, that’s gonna take some looking into... my host supports virtual directories and application roots, no idea what application root is, but would either of those help with anything?
          I’m supposing nobody wants to bother with a windows install then?
          I’ve barely got much time this week, maybe next week I’ll have a chance to mess around with it more. I know how it is get your app running then it’s tooooo busy to visit the old forum’s until there is a problem or issue.
          I was guessing there might be some windows server guys in the house, I’m starting to think otherwise.
            • 1 Posts
            It could be something stupid and not a windows server issue at all...Does the user name and password need to match that of the mySQL database username, I was guessing not... what would the password be for admin by default, incase mine never got successfully logged?

Hey guess what now I’m getting an error message, incorrect username or password, I coulda swore it tripped out to any empty white box yesterday... maybe there is life, Egor flip the switch!
            BUT when I enter the correct user name and password it loads a blank page at:
            http://www.goproshop.com/modX921/manager/processors/login.processor.php ... not good.

I’m thinking I need a debugger of some sort, it’s already been mentioned by my host that I’ll need to add an include to see error messages generated in PHP, so that’s a problem. Trying to find something maybe a firefox extension for debugging PHP scripts, not to make it look like I’m relying on ya’all for everything.
              • 1,611 Posts
              YES the username and password have to match your database (as do the other details in the config file, including the database type...).

The manager script does seem to be executing, but the files outsite the manager don’t. So that does look like a server setup problem. Although without knowing what the sam hill is going on with your database connection it’s hard to say...

You need to have a serious chat with your hosting provider about setting up your permissions correctly. Once that is done and s/he explains how your database connection works so you can configure that properly you’ll be in much better shape. Unfortunately until you deal with that it seems like your problems go way beyond MODx and into the realm of general PHP script usability on your server.

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                • 1 Posts
                They offer a WordPress install at my host, does it require much different script access privlege’s than modX would?
                Doesn’t seem like it would, a couple more attempts at setting something up w/ my current host, and I’ll just blow that popsicle stand, free or not, no use in it holding me back. Previously it was holding me back because I just had the budget hosting, no PHP or .Net, but the PHP is turning out to be problematic anyways. Who knows how the .NET stuff would go probably better on a Windows server, I would hope.

I may get around to turning error’s on, several examples of code for that, setting the password up to a general, then anyone who want’s to take a look at it might be able to know more.

I’m from the "Upload it and it will run" school of web apps.
                  • 1,611 Posts
                  Wordpress requires essentially the same permissions and setup as MODx, so if that can be done than so can this.

.NET only runs on Windows servers, of course (and I’m going to refrain from dissing it since there’s really no need)...

Again, you should definitely talk to your host and tell them to make the directories mentioned above writeable, everything else executable, and have them give you the proper database connection values for your config file.

• 1 Posts
                    The config files all setup, everything passed in the installation.
                    Step two after all of that was logging into the manager...
                    Was the modX setup supposed to setup all of the user permissions My webhost recommended that I get:
                    Database Maintenance
                    Please note that our MySQL support is limited to the creation of the database and the operation of the server. Any maintenance (table creation, schema changes, etc) must be performed by you. You have several options to maintain your database; we recommend one of the following:

MySQL Administrator/Query Browser http://dev.mysql.com/downloads
                    MySQL Front http://www.mysqlfront.de
                    PhpMyAdmin http://www.phpmyadmin.net

They offer no mySQL admin functions in the regular control panel, does that mean a user never got setup then, that’ld be a piece of cake with the right control panel the top one looked cool http://dev.mysql.com/downloads
                    Game Plan?
                      • 1,611 Posts
                      Well you will definitely need a tool to access your database, but something else is going on as well.

I get a blank page when I go to:
                      http://www.goproshop.com/modX921/index.php

So you still have permission problems somewhere, since that’s probably happening because this or other needed PHP files are not executable.

If you added an admin user in the install process, it should have been added to the database so you should see it there. But that’s just for the admin scripts anyway. If your public scripts aren’t showing up then that’s a horse of a different color.