We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Would there be any thing in the config file that needs changed since the site is not in the root directory, but in a folder named modX921,
    something in here maybe?
    // automatically assign base_path and base_url
    if($base_path==""||$base_url=="") {
    $a = explode("/manager",str_replace("\\","/",dirname($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"])));
    if(count($a)>1) array_pop($a);
    $url = implode("manager",$a); reset($a);
    $a = explode("manager",str_replace("\\","/",dirname(__FILE__)));
    if(count($a)>1) array_pop($a);
    $pth = implode("manager",$a); unset($a);
    $base_url = $url.(substr($url,-1)!="/"? "/":"");
    $base_path = $pth.(substr($pth,-1)!="/" && substr($pth,-1)!="\\"? "/":"");
    $site_url = (!isset($_SERVER[’HTTPS’]) || strtolower($_SERVER[’HTTPS’]) != ’on’)? ’http://’ : ’https://’;
    $site_url .= $_SERVER[’HTTP_HOST’];
    if($_SERVER[’SERVER_PORT’]!=80) $site_url = str_replace(’:’.$_SERVER[’SERVER_PORT’],’’,$site_url); // remove port from HTTP_HOST
    $site_url .= ($_SERVER[’SERVER_PORT’]==80 || isset($_SERVER[’HTTPS’]) || strtolower($_SERVER[’HTTPS’])==’on’)? ’’:’:’.$_SERVER[’SERVER_PORT’];
    $site_url .= $base_url;
    }
      • 1,611 Posts
      The base directory config should be set in your database (although you can also set it in index.php). Have you looked to see if your database was created properly and contains the expected data? And have you doublechecked that all the scripts are executable (you could upload a simple PHP script to each directory to test)?
        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • 1 Posts
        Page 2 Moral support:
        OK... OK... I’ve learned my lesson good hosting is worth paying for.

Will I do much better with a full Plesk control panel running 7.5.6 hosting same server Windows IIS 2003?

I’d have control over permissions issues, the dude tells me it runs identical to the demo version here:
        Plesk Windows Info.
        If there’s any of the Plesk stuff that looks optional that I really would need, or should check on give me a shout.
        Does anybody onboard have a windows setup running, there’s been what 24,000 downloads or something like that, or are my numbers off?
        Will I need still need PHPmyAdmin for example, does that run on the host server or on my home machine, I’m still mixed up about that then too?
        My current host with their permissions issues, submitting a ticket and waiting for it to resolve are just tooooo time consuming and impractical to my learning experience and hence career.
        Rock on ya’ll have a good weekend!
          • 1,611 Posts
          Honestly? You are asking for headaches using a Windows IIS server for anything but .Net or ASP scripts. But you shopuld be able to at least make it work (no friendly URLs, though) if you have control over file permissions.

If you really want everything to just work with no problems and be amazed at how easy it can be, go to a decent host who offers Linux and Apache.

phpMyAdmin runs on the server, not on your machine (it’s a PHP script). There are other ways of managing your database directly (including ODBC from your machine), but that’s what most people use. Any way that you can access your database directly that doesn’t cause you too much grief is fine, though.

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
            • 1 Posts
            Hey Zap you da man, (sucking up for more help)
            Hey I verified that I am not an idiot, not that you ever said I was...
            All of the tables got written I can paste the list.
            Anyways I found a one page upload admin sorta thing to verify the tables did get written, and it has a box to allow mySQL queries. I found it at globalissa.com EasySQL.
            Next step’s gonna be sorting out the write permissions issues I guess, that and taking more of a beating around here for even attempting a windows setup ha!
              • 1,611 Posts
              Hee hee hee. We’re not trying to beat you up for it. At least I’m not, anyway. I just find it’s always like banging my head against a wall. And yes it does feel good when you stop.

If your tables were written then at some point those PHP scripts were properly executing (since that’s what wrote em), and that also indicates that your database connection values in your config file are correct. So you’re 99% there! All you need to do now is to get the rest of your permissions taken care of and see if you have issues with the cache files.

The nice thing about these sorts of problems is that you only have to tackle them once and then you can forget all about thet frustrated hours spent on them.

• 1 Posts
                Quote from: ZAP at May 03, 2006, 04:31 PM

Well officially the directories that should be writeable are:

• /assets/cache (and its files)
                • /assets/export and
                • /assets/images
                So your first step is to try setting those as writeable and see what happens (although you should still be able to run MODx with some limitations without making images or export writeable).
                The only question hanging there is due the fact that your host insists that a writeable directory can’t also be executable. So this means that the cache files will not be executable, and I don’t know if that matters or not. If it does matter, you can turn off caching of documents but I’m not sure what would happen with the publishing cache file in that case (anyone?).
                I requested write permissions for the three folder’s, and am checking into what exactly the virtual directory setup does, if it might allow for write permissions and scripts that are exectuable, I can set one of those up for the cache folder... I pasted the techies at my host the whole forum answer, we’ll see if they can come up with something, not holding my breath though...
                • The files inside the cache folder are equally as important.
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 1 Posts
                    Would it be possible to have the cached files written to a folder just outside of the cache file and have the scripts find those files there then, like assets/cacheFiles/ .
                    Which might be easier to move up a level, the files or the scripts from cache folder?
                    Moving the location of the script in the cache folder would probably be harder to do, just guessing. Wait and see if they have any ideas at my host, like I say, doubt it.
                      • 1 Posts
                      Ok my write permissions were changed, still nothing in the manager.
                      Should I try having the cache file write permissions removed, because that’s not going to allow the scripts to execute in the cache folder?????
                      I totally recognize my need to be able to control permissions myself, but if I could get this running in the long run it would be worth it.
                      If the scripts could be seperated from the area that the content is written too, it wouldn’t be a problem, or the list of problem’s would get shorter. Meanwhile who knows how many window’s hosts are this picky...
                      Thanks.

They had nothing to suggest, and even quoted the rule again for good measure:

NOTE: Though this directory has write permissions enabled, it does not
                      have script execute permissions. We do not allow write and execute
                      permissions in the same directory as a security precaution. This is a
                      security policy in place to protect your data, as well as the server in
                      general. Allowing write permission and script execution in the same
                      directory is a known security hole for Windows server environments.

Still checking on if the virtual directory would allow both, they disregarded that question, they tend to do that. lol.