We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 145 Posts
    Quote from: donshakespeare at Sep 27, 2016, 07:05 PM
    Currently diagnosing...

For your information, Roxy is a nice simple solution to media browsing, but it is the least of the four browsers provided/supported by TinymceWrapper Extra.

From top to bottomless pit, here is the grading...
    3 and 4 are easily swappable, depending on your mood and needs

1. - elFinder
    2. - Responsive FileManager
    3. - MODX Native Browser
    4. - Roxy

No, TinyMCE does not have a free native browser.

What should I call you? Don? Sir Bard? Maven from Avon?

I'm not trying to be finnicky about choosing a file manager (browser). I'm just upset that we paid $$ to upgrade our ModX system and ended up with an editor downgrade. Roxy would have been fine functionally if it weren't broken. I don't know why the developer wasn't aware that it was so flawed.

A few quickies please.

1. Do you know what browser came with TinyMCE 5 years ago? Whatever it was it was totally acceptable, which makes Roxy triply disappointing.

2. I see you rated the ModX native browser above Roxy. How can I try that? Is it already installed with every ModX system or must I install it? Can I try it initially on my own userid without impacting what the others are using or must it apply systemwide? (I'm not experienced installing ModX components and don't want to put my client's system at risk.)

3. Do all browsers primarily provide only graphic selection and also other file selection, such as PDFs, while your editor does all the heavy lifting?

4. What would your recommendation to me be, unless you prefer not to go there.

5. Apparently Roxy isn't just flawed for my client. Are its flaws confined only to its interface with TVs, as in our case? Is it a waste of time for me to find out who the author is and see where s/he stands on the issues?

6. Lastly, in your other post on this subject you hinted that you might have a remedy for me in the next version of TinyMCE. I don't know what you have in mind. If we lived with the current manual intervention workaround with Roxy, do you know when a solution may be available?

If I've asked you too many questions, could you concentrate on #2 and #4.

Thanks for your interest "Don...".
      • 181 Posts
      Quote from: samg at Sep 29, 2016, 08:36 PM
      1. Do you know what browser came with TinyMCE 5 years ago? Whatever it was it was totally acceptable, which makes Roxy triply disappointing.
      I don't know if TinyMCE came with its own browser. In MODX you probably used the native browser, see below.

2. I see you rated the ModX native browser above Roxy. How can I try that? Is it already installed with every ModX system or must I install it? Can I try it initially on my own userid without impacting what the others are using or must it apply systemwide? (I'm not experienced installing ModX components and don't want to put my client's system at risk.)
      It's "native", so it's the one that comes with MODX out of the box. You can just activate it in the TinymceWrapper plugin's properties (do yourself a favour and use a custom property set instead of the default properties; this is described here, for example).

The property is called "autoFileBrowser". You can choose any of the four browsers named by donshakespeare; the three browsers not coming with MODX are provided by TinymceWrapper.

3. Do all browsers primarily provide only graphic selection and also other file selection, such as PDFs, while your editor does all the heavy lifting?
      I don't really understand the question. TinymceWrapper is just that - a wrapper that makes the different components (TinyMCE, the file browsers, etc.) available and configurable. Which isn't meant in a derogatory way - it's a great MODX extra!

4. What would your recommendation to me be, unless you prefer not to go there.
      If the native MODX file browser is all you need, it's probably the least eror-prone way to go. The other two browsers mentioned by donshakespeare have some additional nice features. If you can't test them in your productive site, just install MODX on a separate subdomain and try what they can do for you. Until now I only installed TinymceWrapper on existing sites, and my customers wanted what they already knew - the native MODX browser. wink

The other questions have to be answered by donshakespeare, I guess.

Cheers,
      Jan
        This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.
        • 145 Posts
        Quote from: enigmatic_user at Sep 29, 2016, 09:18 PM

It's "native", so it's the one that comes with MODX out of the box. You can just activate it in the TinymceWrapper plugin's properties (do yourself a favour and use a custom property set instead of the default properties; this is described here, for example).

The property is called "autoFileBrowser". You can choose any of the four browsers named by donshakespeare; the three browsers not coming with MODX are provided by TinymceWrapper.

Cheers,
        Jan

Jan, thank you for your time in giving me this advice. It seems that the native browser would serve our purposes, especially if the one I liked that came with TinyMCE 5 years was the ModX native browser.

Do you know from your experience if it suffers from the same restrictions that upset me about Roxy. That is, I want to single-click (or double-click) my selected graphic and by that single action 1. make that graphic available to my TV and therefore to the resource and also 2) Show a preview to the user on TinyMCE's TV page?

If I read your other comments correctly it seems that the only way I can try the Native Browser is to force it on all other users while I'm exploring it. Is that correct? I was hoping that ModX offered each user the opportunity to select their editor of choice or browser of choice by a simple selection and without applying it systemwide. I don't have the experience to install another instance of ModX for such an experiment.

It's looking like I'm stuck with that flawed Roxy browser, at least until such time as donshakespeare implements a fix for Roxy.

Sometimes, nothing's easy I suppose. Thanks, Jan.
          • 181 Posts
          Quote from: samg at Sep 30, 2016, 03:50 PM
          Do you know from your experience if it suffers from the same restrictions that upset me about Roxy. That is, I want to single-click (or double-click) my selected graphic and by that single action 1. make that graphic available to my TV and therefore to the resource and also 2) Show a preview to the user on TinyMCE's TV page?
          Yes, I'm using it for that purpose. Both things work fine. Of course the template variable and maybe the path settings (system settings) have to be configured correctly.

If I read your other comments correctly it seems that the only way I can try the Native Browser is to force it on all other users while I'm exploring it. Is that correct? I was hoping that ModX offered each user the opportunity to select their editor of choice or browser of choice by a simple selection and without applying it systemwide.
          Not out of the box, at least I can't think of an ultra-easy way to do it.

I have an idea regarding this, but I didn't find the time to test it, and I'm not sure if it'd work at all...

Cheers,
          Jan
            • 181 Posts
            @donshakespeare: I'm not sure if something is misconfigured in my test system, but when trying to use the elFinder, one or more URLs seem to be explicitly called using HTTP, which causes problems when the MODX Manager is called via HTTPS. Can you confirm this?

Cheers,
            Jan
              • 145 Posts
              Quote from: enigmatic_user at Sep 30, 2016, 07:45 PM
              Yes, I'm using it for that purpose. Both things work fine. Of course the template variable and maybe the path settings (system settings) have to be configured correctly.

If I read your other comments correctly it seems that the only way I can try the Native Browser is to force it on all other users while I'm exploring it. Is that correct? I was hoping that ModX offered each user the opportunity to select their editor of choice or browser of choice by a simple selection and without applying it systemwide.
              Not out of the box, at least I can't think of an ultra-easy way to do it.

I have an idea regarding this, but I didn't find the time to test it, and I'm not sure if it'd work at all...

Cheers,
              Jan

Thank you Jan. I'm happy to hear that the native version ism't flawed like Roxy. For the most part the developer who upgraded our 5 year old ModX did a good job but I can't believe nor accept that they didn't know about Roxy's problems. And even when I complained and explained the problem, they told me they recommended we live with the workaround. The honorable reaction should have been to install the native version at no cost.

I wish I knew how to do the installation myself. Of course my client is a group of lawyers so all may not be lost.

Thanks again ... Sam
                • 181 Posts
                Quote from: samg at Sep 30, 2016, 10:21 PM
                For the most part the developer who upgraded our 5 year old ModX did a good job but I can't believe nor accept that they didn't know about Roxy's problems. And even when I complained and explained the problem, they told me they recommended we live with the workaround. The honorable reaction should have been to install the native version at no cost.
                That's indeed a strange behavior... Well, additional work can of course cause additional costs, but to refuse to do the work is not what I would do.

I wish I knew how to do the installation myself.
                Well, as the MODX browser comes with MODX, there's nothing to install. As I said, you can just choose the browser in the TinymceWrapper plugin's property set (property "autoFileBrowser"). If everything else is configured correctly, it should work immediately.

Cheers,
                Jan
                  • 145 Posts
                  Quote from: enigmatic_user at Oct 01, 2016, 12:03 AM

That's indeed a strange behavior... Well, additional work can of course cause additional costs, but to refuse to do the work is not what I would do.

I wish I knew how to do the installation myself.
                  Well, as the MODX browser comes with MODX, there's nothing to install. As I said, you can just choose the browser in the TinymceWrapper plugin's property set (property "autoFileBrowser"). If everything else is configured correctly, it should work immediately.

Cheers,
                  Jan

Thank you Jan. I didn't realize that the native version was already installed. Is this really as easy as flipping a switch? Once I see it and test it I can just leave it there and if I want to revert back I would just select Roxy (or whatever it's called) and switch back?

'donshakespeare', are you still planning to fix the Roxy problem in your next version of TinyMCE or did I misinterpret your intent? If you are, can you predict the time it will be available and can I get on the notify list or I suppose I'll see it when your notice appears here?
                    • 1,145 Posts
                    RE: samg
                    https://forums.modx.com/thread/97694/support-comments-for-tinymcewrapper?page=32#dis-post-545328
                    Quote from: donshakespeare
                    The Leading Annoying Disgraceful Forward Slash
                    This behaviour is a type of absolute urling. This is one of the few ways a file browser can accurately and always safely find ya file. So, this issue is actually not an issue.
                    Of course you can tweak a callback to strip the returned url however you want ...

In rereading my last post, you'll find that the "issue" is not a problem at all - but expected behaviour...Roxy and any other custom browser will behave the same.
                    The browser of 5years ago, that you speak of, had a callback to strip the slash and possible domain root folder name.
                    The current Native MODX Browser functions according to your taste. So use it instead of Roxy!

I will add a callback sometime in the future - don't wait for it wink - no unpaid time right now

To be fair, your developer probably did good work, and in the end saw four browsers to choose from, and ended up with Roxy - not a crime, in my books! In your turn, open up your settings and FLIP THE SWITCH

Attached to this present post is an image to signify things.

1 In the left sidebar resource/element tree
                    2 Find Plugins section ...
                    3 Open TinymceWrapper Plugin ... select Properties Tab
                    4 CTRL + F to find autoFileBrowser - double click its right most field to CHOOSE YOUR BROWSE OF TASTE ...done!
                    5 Scroll back up - save property set, then save plugin

TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
                      Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
                      5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
                      • 145 Posts
                      Quote from: donshakespeare at Oct 01, 2016, 03:29 PM
                      RE: samg
                      https://forums.modx.com/thread/97694/support-comments-for-tinymcewrapper?page=32#dis-post-545328
                      Quote from: donshakespeare
                      The Leading Annoying Disgraceful Forward Slash
                      Attached to this present post is an image to signify things.

1 In the left sidebar resource/element tree
                      2 Find Plugins section ...
                      3 Open TinymceWrapper Plugin ... select Properties Tab
                      4 CTRL + F to find autoFileBrowser - double click its right most field to CHOOSE YOUR BROWSE OF TASTE ...done!
                      5 Scroll back up - save property set, then save plugin

DonShakespeare, I can appreciate how busy you are and want to thank you again for the plethora of information you've been providing me. I also appreciate your spoonfeeding me the instructions (incl. graphic) to change browsers. I believe I'll take your advice. I was glad to read your comment that all 3 of the custom browsers would have presented my problem and not just Roxy. I wanted to be more forgiving of the developer and you've enabled that.

In re-reading previous information I'm somewhat stuck on the following:
                      "1. You Love Roxy so much and want to keep using it: change replaceDefaultFileImageTVbutton to NO ...You get to use the browser you admire, and still use MODX native method that you cherished of old"

I don't understand what it means to not replace the default file image TV button. If I read this correctly you're saying that entering "NO" retains a button (method) from MODX Native. What is the "file image button" and how is the native button different from Roxy's? Sounds like a big deal if many of us might 'cherish' it.

Again, thanks very much for your support here.