We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    There’s always the possibility that one or more files was corrupted or missed during the file transfer. It happens more often than you might think.
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • Quote from: BobRay at Feb 17, 2011, 01:35 AM

There’s always the possibility that one or more files was corrupted or missed during the file transfer. It happens more often than you might think.

I did not ftp my install, I installed from the server itself (using wget and unziping) precisely to make sure I didn’t get corrupted transfered files.

That aside, it was working perfectly for a week or two, it was just today that started to behave like this.

Any ideas?
        • 24,544 Posts
        We’re grasping at straws here, but the only things that come to mind are the host implementing suPHP or suExec or site hacking. See if there’s anything suspicious in index.php or manager/index.php.
          My MODX Extras
        • Quote from: BobRay at Feb 17, 2011, 03:05 AM

We’re grasping at straws here, but the only things that come to mind are the host implementing suPHP or suExec or site hacking. See if there’s anything suspicious in index.php or manager/index.php.

Its a VPS, i set it up myself. It is a standard setup, nothing fancy and nothing weird in the way it was setup. The server is always offline when I am not using it and it is on a domain name that is not indexed anywhere.

As I restored from a working backup and continue to have problems, I am certain it is nothing in the files itself. The only thing I can’t restore since I didn’t make a backup off was the DB.

All that aside, as I explained twice before, this same issue has happened to me every single attempt I’ve had on Modx Revo. I never had issues with Evolution, but Revo has always after a few days or weeks ended my experience with exactly the same problem. Each install of Revo I’ve done has been on a different server.

This latest install was clean, no addons, no plugins, nothing. The only configuration variable I touched was the setup of Friendly URLS which is working correctly on the front end.

I have tried nearly anything my experience points me to and all I have found documented, this is extremely frustrating.

Jose R. Lopez
            • 24,544 Posts
            I hear you. I’ve been there myself with other software. It’s really frustrating when everyone trying to help you is running the same software with no problems.

I wish I could be more help. About the only thing left I can think of for you to do is install something like NetBeans with a remote debugger and step through the code, but setting that up is no picnic.
            Maybe someone else will have a better idea.
              My MODX Extras
            • Could this be something to do with your computer or network configuration, a firewall setting or browser security settings? Have you ever installed Revo on a localhost environment?
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • Quote from: sottwell at Feb 18, 2011, 08:07 AM

Could this be something to do with your computer or network configuration, a firewall setting or browser security settings? Have you ever installed Revo on a localhost environment?

I thought this could be at one point but I can easily prove it is not. I have both mac and PC and two different connections one at work and one at home from two different ISP. I have a third different ISP on my phone service. All 3 devices result in the same problem. I am sure it is not a network or computer specific problem. I have this feeling that it has to do something with a configuration variable in the DB.

I feel this is the case because I am using a remote DB for which I had not created a backup yet. I had created backup of the web server itself. Restoring the web server to a working backup connected to the same DB results in the same problem. So the only constant here is the DB. I’ve been poking with all the settings I feel could be relevant in the DB with no luck still.
                  • 47 Posts
                  I’m not sure if I’m having the exact same problem, but here’s what’s happening:

In Chrome (not Firefox) the manager login is not persistent. Any action I take leads back to the login screen. For admin users and "editors". On multiple computers in the office.

Something interesting I found:

Right after I log in, my PHP session cookie and modx_session table ids do not match. When I try to take an action (edit document, click on home, look at settings), I immediately get sent back to login screen, but *then* the PHP session cookie and modx_session table ids match. And this happens over and over.

Worse yet, if I truncate the modx_session table, it will work for a bit, then broke again.

I’m looking at moduser.class.php. If I find anything, I’ll post it here.
                    • 47 Posts
                    My problem seems to go away when I comment out line 362 of moduser.class.php...

//session_regenerate_id(true);

Bug posted: http://bugs.modx.com/issues/3875
                      • 80 Posts
                      Having the same issues with the manager login page re-directing to the login page after logging in.

I commented out line 362 as suggested but it doesn’t seem to fix anything. It’s a local install and what is interesting is that it is happening intermittently. Lame, right when I thought I’d get some real work accomplished undecided I’m not sure what happened, I went to bed last night and everything was working fine. Now I’m having this problem, not just on one install of modx, but on multiple installs of revolution (all locally installed). Occurs in Firefox & Safari.

• logging in with correct username/password gives login re-direct.
                      • clearing browser cache fixes problem for first initial login but then problem comes back if I try to access the manager from another browser tab I am presented with login page and if I try to login (which is strange since normally when I’m logged in I don’t have to re-login when accessing the manager from a new browser tab) the page redirects back to manager login
                      • [li]upon resetting the password from login page, new password works and login page redirects properly. (however, if I try to access the manager from another browser tab I’m presented with the same redirect back to manager login)

update:
                      strange behavior:

• After a successful login to the manager, I right-click on the ’admin’ link (top right of page) and choose ’Open in New Tab’ -> works properly ie. opens new tab with the manager page already logged in.
                      • Now, if I repeat this, right-click on the ’admin’ link choose ’open in new tab’ -> doesn’t work ie. opens new tab with the manager login page as if I’m not currently logged in. when I try to log in the problem of redirecting back the login page occurs.
                      • If I try to navigate to the manager manually (rather than right clicking one of the only ’non-javascript’ links in the manager) I’m presented with the login page and problem persists.

update:
                      more strange behaviou:

• I click on ’logout’ link in modx manager -> dialog box says ’are you sure you want to log out’ -> I click ’yes’ -> nothing happens.
                      • After nothing happens, I refresh the page -> redirects me to login page -> I enter my user/pass and login works correctly!
                      • I try to open a second browser tab by either ’right-clicking’ the ’admin’ link at top of page OR by manually typing in the address -> I’m forwarded back to the manager login page (as if I’m not logged in)

update:
                      Back to normal behavior

• woke up this morning, problem gone smiley am I going crazy? no, already am crazy apparently... maybe there is a ghost in the machine?

update:
                      Back to strange behavior

• problem is back: just tried to log into my rev 2.0.8-pl site and am stuck at the login screen once again. Problem exists in Firefox 3.6 & Safari 4.1
                      • Reset Safari browser Safari -> Reset Safari, seems to fix the issue.
                      • Clear cache in Firefox does not fix it... restarting Firefox does not fix it either.

• *Can someone tell me what to look for in Firebug to give more information regarding this issue? Me == Confused
                      • [li]’Forgot your password?’ feature fixes issue... so I will just get use to this work around for now

Environment:
                      modx: Revo 2.0.8-pl & 2.0.4-pl2 rev
                      localhost: MAMP Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) PHP/5.2.11 DAV/2

Environment:
                        modx: rev 2.0.8-pl
                        localhost: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) PHP/5.2.11 DAV/2, MySQL client version: 5.1.37