We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Tattoo, like MODx, will allow you to create infinitely customized and personal web applications. Hence, the tagline:
    make your mark

There’s a lot more about it that will be revealed in due time...
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 129 Posts
      Quote from: rthrash at Feb 03, 2006, 07:17 PM

Tattoo, like MODx, will allow you to create infinitely customized and personal web applications. Hence, the tagline:
      make your mark

There’s a lot more about it that will be revealed in due time...

Well, if it is all nearly as cool as everything that MODx is so far I am sure it will be great. I work in marketing so I certainly understand what it is like when that manager that has not been at any of the meetings walks in and says he hates the new brand that you slaved for months over just because of one simple little subjective thing and turns the sway of the whole room and sends you back to the drawing board. I certainly don’t want to be "that guy". So, if you guys say you have good solid reasons for Tattoo and it is great and I will love it all. Then great, I believe you and I will say TATTOO! Make Your Mark! with pride. Ok, yeah, maybe that was a BIT over dramatic, but at the least I promise not to complain! grin Good work guys!
        "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
        -- Sydney Harris
        • 59 Posts
        Quote from: aNoble at Feb 03, 2006, 06:47 PM

Quote from: BeeStar at Feb 03, 2006, 06:29 PM

BTW, I am very glad Tattoo doesn’t have a pathetic exclamation sign (!) at the end! grin

Well that’s good because Tattoomla! was our second choice tongue
        ;D ROTFL grin

Bee
          • 1,732 Posts
          Quote from: aNoble at Feb 03, 2006, 06:20 PM

MODx was given it’s name because it was originally a mod and that’s probably the first thing that people think when they hear the name. And adding an X to a name seems a bit 90’s to me personally.

Sorry man that was never the case with the name MODx. I sat for days tring to come up with a name that had a ring to it and something that sound unique. I came up with MODx which meant MODular and Extensible.

Even though it was a module for Etomite it was designed to be modular and extensible.

Personally I have reservations about the name Tattoo but will go there again. While this is free software and we are not paid to work on I think we should take every bit into account.
            xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
            • 129 Posts
            When I get my Infinite Branding feature I am going to call mine "Willow"

It is strong, flexible and beautiful.

Grounded by design and you can carve it into what ever form you wish.

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
              -- Sydney Harris
              • 680 Posts
              Quote from: xwisdom at Feb 03, 2006, 07:32 PM

Sorry man that was never the case with the name MODx.

Oh, my bad. I had always assumed it was MOD because it was a mod (seemed logical).

Maybe it’s just because I’m a gamer, but to me, mod is short for modificaton. In fact there are a couple MODxes already out there related to gaming.
              • Whitefen, you’re not talking about removing all references to the originators of the software – the folks that have poured thousands and thousand of hours into it – are you?
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 372 Posts
                  I don’t understand why the name needs to change at all, but then I’m not a developer and I don’t know lots of things smiley

Therefore if for some reason you guys need / want to change the name then I guess its your project your 1000’s hours and therefore rightly your decision.

Having said that heres my few cents foryou consideration:

The name Tattoo should work well, its all about how you market and brand it. If you go with dark colours and a ruff edgy interface, yea, I think you’ll scare people.

However if you continue with the clean interfaces (although under a new brand) you have used to date, then people will at least run it and go "wow" this is different, like I did when I first tried MODx.

As for double branding, I’m thinking it is an unnecessary complication. and sure Ford might make Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Saab, Jaguar, Rover, however most of those are through take overs and they continued to sell the original product under its own branding as a separate product.

So in my view its a little different and the more different names or brands you have the more work it is. Coke, Nike, McDonald’s are good example, one corporate brand done well. Its all about name brand recognition.

A major point is that I am not forced to have the name Tattoo anywhere on the site, therefore the name Tattoo is only used in marketing to web designers and not really used in the end result. So the name is not really an issue to the coperate user, you might just have to point that out to them.

Although that seems like less marketing for the CMS, MODx did the right thing, most of the vistors aren’t web designers and don’t care what makes the site tick.... hell could be running on a PSP as far as they know smiley

The marketing needs to be focused at those who will run Tattoo not the coperate managers not their sits visitors.

It would be nice at some stage to know why the name change and what it all means, but I’m happy to wait till the big unavailing if that fits in with your marketing strategy.

Last point, at least Tattoo is in the spell checker, unlike MODx LOL

Cheers.

PS I market the product to any other web designer I can, by word of mouth, a far stronger method grin
                    [img]http://www.emanz.ac.nz/assets/images/logo/emanz-icon_16x16.gif[/img] Emergency Management Academy of New Zealand [br] http://www.emanz.ac.nz[br][br]MODx Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle [br]
                    Admin Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle
                    • 129 Posts
                    Quote from: rthrash at Feb 03, 2006, 08:35 PM

Whitefen, you’re not talking about removing all references to the originators of the software – the folks that have poured thousands and thousand of hours into it – are you?

What I need is a customizable tool that allows me to create solutions for my clients that meet their requirements. At times, one of the requirements is that their site is not labeled by authors or tools outside of the company. If that is a violation of the terms of the MODx license then obviously I would need to look elsewhere for a solution and I could continue to use it for the projects/clients where this was not an issue. A lot of it will depend on where and how prominent the placement needs to be and what I can negotiate with my clients. In the meantime, from a front end perspective, I don’t believe that there are any requirements for banners of any kind and there is where 99% of the viewers will be (maybe there is a requirement that I don’t know about).

I am in no way suggesting that I would obfuscate the fact that MODx is an important tool in my tool box but I look at it from the perspective that if every tool I used required me to put the tools logo on my product then every one of my design pieces and Web sites would have "Powered by PHP, MySQL, Photoshop, BBedit, MODx, Illustrator, Flash etc.." on it. Now, in some cases it is appropriate to include these banners and it is nice to hand out credit where credit is due but there also times when it is not appropriate.

I can also see how there are some differences in MODx’s case because its manager is a Web Application and going back to my example before, my customers don’t run a my copy of Photoshop in order to make modifications to the graphics I send them (unless they choose to do it on their own outside of the arranged work flow).

Perhaps an answer would be that you charge for the option run a brandless version. I really don’t know anything about how this sort of thing is normally handled so feel free to educate me. I know that my clients that are in this category would be more than happy to pay for a product like this if that was part of your model.
                      -- Sydney Harris
                      • 674 Posts
                      i like modx, more professional
                      i like tattoo, more visual and descriptive
                      why not the two in two templates?
                      why not a license per site to buy a template manager (could be 2 or tree diferents and easy to customice, i think is beter all css and icons sets) blank to references to sweet "professional" websites (think is beter a little payament, for example for pay the modx|tattoo|coke|pepsi|microsoft!... developers).
                      its my personal opinion the software need (because his high potential) to be a real combination of framework and cms (could be in the installer of modx the option to select framework for avancer users or cms for easy base website creation.
                      i think is not a bad idea has the two names modx for framework and tattoo for cms. and in the tatoo "portal" a link NEED MORE POWER,....
                      its a simple thinking.
                      I think too is a very short in time a cuestion about the bussines model of modx..., is a good way the joomla! model?, im thinking is more good a way (i dont thik if is posibol) the way to create a modx site whith the freatures added by the developer for made a site sweet to all kind (for example) a property business, called MODxproperty and the autor/s update the sistem whith the MODX updates and have the posibility to sell his modded site to a lot of clients well buying to modx a licence to has personal backend or give to the comunity free or has the two MODxproperty one free and other by payament whith for example (suport and/or sweet feet to client freatures and/or hosting and/or rebranding and/or give external services to a property company like a bank.... the list is oo but all could be done in the framework modx page......
                      uff a very long post
                      whats your opinion....?
                      hi.
                        Jabiertxof (formerly XYZVISUAL)
                        My bussines: http://marker.es
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/jabiertxof/videos

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.