We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Tattoo will absolutely not be a commercial CMS, although it is definitely going to be aimed more at the enterprise level (and is a long ways off). As a result and likely necessity for acceptance, it will most likely be dual-licensed and commercially supported to help mitigate concerns for that market. Same type of model as MySQL, btw.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 4,213 Posts
      Quote from: rthrash at Mar 16, 2006, 10:37 PM
      As a result and likely necessity for acceptance, it will most likely be dual-licensed and commercially supported to help mitigate concerns for that market. Same type of model as MySQL, btw.
      Just to be clear, when you reference to the MySQL licence, do you mean that the Tattoo is free for personal use, but not free for developers to use, if they are selling the sites built with Tattoo?

Because this is the case with MySQL. It’s free to use in noncommercial softwares, but if you’re going to sell your software, you have to buy MySQL licence. I remember that it was something like this with MySQL: If your commercial sofware requires MySQL database, i.e. does not work with any other database like PostgreSQL, DB2, etc., you have to buy the licence. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
      • The MySQL license prohibits you from distributing it. You have to download it from their servers I think, or maybe not. At any rate, there will be a totally free (in some form of opensource license) even for developers to use and abuse version, and a there might also be a commercially licensed version with full commercial support. But  there’s a lot of business infrastructure to put into place before we take that step.
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 4,213 Posts
          Ok, thanks for clearing that up, even though the answer was just as I expected. laugh Sounds all cool to me and I actually hope that you get that business infrastructure up and running and hopefully eventually get some income out of all this too..

EDIT: btw, not a lot of logos in the thread... grin

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
          • The logo’s already decided and Lucian Slatineau did a great job with it. smiley
              • 1,495 Posts
              Quote from: rthrash at Mar 17, 2006, 12:26 AM

The logo’s already decided and Lucian Slatineau did a great job with it. smiley

That’s not a good move Ryan. You just throw a galon of gasoline into the fire, now you just make the whole community curious with Tattoo again, which includes me tongue Heheehee...
                Wendy Novianto
                [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
              • Everyone will get to see it when it’s ready and in the interim get to enjoy a lot of knowledge transfer down into MODx post 0.9.2. smiley
                  • 3,250 Posts
                  Quote from: OpenGeek at Aug 05, 2005, 04:33 PM

;) I’ve seen the future, and it looks good...

Ditto!
                    • 3,975 Posts
                    I’ve not seen the future, and but I am sure it will look good...

*ahem*

;D
                      Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                    • As long as it doesn’t include that EYE!!! <shudder>
                        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.