We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,611 Posts
    I can’t reproduce this no matter how hard I try, which makes it difficult to debug. You’re using MODx 0.9.6, correct? I can’t get the Manager to change my content at all unless I use a RTE.
      "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
      • 925 Posts
      Quote from: ZAP at Aug 19, 2007, 03:15 PM

I can’t reproduce this no matter how hard I try, which makes it difficult to debug. You’re using MODx 0.9.6, correct? I can’t get the Manager to change my content at all unless I use a RTE.

Yep, using 0.9.6. If you want, I can give you a Manager Account to the install in question, so you might be able to figure out why it’s doing it.
        My Snippets
        -> PopUpChunk v1.0
        • 205 Posts
        Hi

I have an issue with Ajax Search on this version, It works fine in Firefox but does not work in IE7, just defaults back to home page.

My code is
        [!AjaxSearch? &ajaxSearch=`0` &AS_landing=`24` &extract=`1` &AS_showResults=`0` !]

and on the landing page
        [!AjaxSearch? &ajaxSearch=`0` &AS_showForm=`0`!]

I cannot see any think I am doing wrong - any ideas?
          • 205 Posts
          OK I fixed my own problem, If the results page is unpublished it still works in Firefox but not in IE7
          • Quote from: edge at Aug 20, 2007, 04:49 PM

OK I fixed my own problem, If the results page is unpublished it still works in Firefox but not in IE7

Is this because you had an active Manager session within Firefox?
              Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
              MODx Ambassador / Contributor
              [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
              For some reason, when I’m editing a page in the Manager Control Panel, outside of the text areas for editing information, the mouse action get stuck on "Working/Busy", aka the *Hourglass* animation. Sometimes this happens in Opera with Javascript, but pressing Esc stops it --- that trick doesn’t work in this instance.

I don’t think it’s a big issue, but it might mean that Opera is "recycling" the command it was given or something. I also have this occur in some other pages randomly, but the Edit Page/Chunk/etc. is where I can reproduce it with ease.

EDIT: I also pinpointed where the /assets/ bug creeps up. Seems it wants to do it to anything with a IMG XHTML tag.
                My Snippets
                -> PopUpChunk v1.0
                • 1,611 Posts
                I am having a very perplexing experience with 0.9.6 on an Apache/PHP4 server. I can’t seem to disable caching of pages no matter how I try (uncached pages with uncached snippets, uncached pages with cached snippets, etc.). I’ve never had this happen before...

It doesn’t seem to be a browser cache issue because it happens in IE6/7 and Firefox. If I forcibly refresh the page, however, the content does update. So it’s not completely stuck as uncached, but it’s not updating on every request as it should.

When I look at the response headers I get something like this for uncached pages:
                Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:23:42 GMT
                Server: Apache
                Cache-Control: private, must-revalidate, max-age=300   <- That's five minutes!
                P3P: CP="NOI NID ADMa OUR IND UNI COM NAV"
                X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.7
                Vary: Accept-Encoding
                Expires: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:28:42 GMT   <- NOTE: This date is in the future!
                Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
                Content-Encoding: gzip
                Content-Length: 3029

200 OK

What the sam hill might be going on here? Has anybody else seen this sort of behavior? Might this be a PHP compression issue or something else at the server or ISP, or is this potentially a MODx issue?

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn&#39;t very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                  • 1,611 Posts
                  Phew! This was NOT a MODx issue, although it may be something that ought to be shared more widely in case it comes up again. It sure caused me many, many hours of stress...

The server that this site is one is running the Apache mod_expires module, and that seems to have been interfering with the headers that MODx sets. Adding "ExpiresActive Off" to my .htaccess file corrected the issue. This might be worth adding to the informational text in the default .htaccess file.

The symptoms are somewhat distinctive in that a force refresh (F5) does update the page, but a regular page load often does not. Pages are sent to the browser with a fixed expiration time that all browsers that we use respect, so the browser actually does not request a new copy of the page until after that time is reached. The headers that I pasted in my last post should also help identify that this is going on.

• Thanks for the heads up ZAP. I’ve been playing with mod_expires as a result of tinkering with Yahoo’s YSlow plugin.
                    I wonder if it’s possible to achieve the benefits of "far future" expires headers on certain javascript and css using MODx’s facilities as opposed to mod_expires?
                      Mike Schell
                      Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
                      Email: [email protected]
                      GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
                      Twitter: @mkschell
                      • 1,611 Posts
                      I think that you could use the mod_expires module, as long as you set it up properly. I haven’t looked into it very much, but I believe that the root of my problem was that the host that I’m using for this project has set it up to add those headers to all file types (including .html and .php). If you specified file types or complete names in your .htaccess file, I bet that you could make this module work as it should and not interfere with MODx’s own page headers.

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.