We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,611 Posts
    I believe I’ve stumbled upon a very odd manager issue (possibly AJAX-related). I was having a helluva time saving out a snippet that among other things set a couple of placeholders to ’---’. Whenever I would try to save it, I would get a Forbidden (You’re not allowed to access manager/index.php) error. I could otherwise use the manager fine, including creating and saving other snippets or even this same snippet with different content. By trial and error I whittled down the cause of the error to those five characters. If they’re in the snippet content anywhere, the manager freaks out. If I set the placeholder to ’-’ I get no error.

Even stranger, if I include ’--’ anywhere in a snippet I get the "Erm... Are you supposed to be here?" message...

I got the same results in both Firefox 2 and Opera 9 (Ubuntu 7.04), so I think this may be a general issue and not specific to my browser. Is this something that other folks can confirm? If so, let me know and I’ll open a bug report.
      "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
    • Quote from: ZAP at Aug 29, 2007, 04:46 AM

I believe I’ve stumbled upon a very odd manager issue (possibly AJAX-related). I was having a helluva time saving out a snippet that among other things set a couple of placeholders to ’---’. Whenever I would try to save it, I would get a Forbidden (You’re not allowed to access manager/index.php) error. I could otherwise use the manager fine, including creating and saving other snippets or even this same snippet with different content. By trial and error I whittled down the cause of the error to those five characters. If they’re in the snippet content anywhere, the manager freaks out. If I set the placeholder to ’-’ I get no error.

Even stranger, if I include ’--’ anywhere in a snippet I get the "Erm... Are you supposed to be here?" message...

I got the same results in both Firefox 2 and Opera 9 (Ubuntu 7.04), so I think this may be a general issue and not specific to my browser. Is this something that other folks can confirm? If so, let me know and I’ll open a bug report.
      My first inclination is to blame mod_security. Try disabling mod_security if it’s enabled (you can typically just turn it off for the manager directory via .htaccess directives).
        • 1,611 Posts
        Looks like your first inclination was right on the mark. I added "SecFilterEngine Off" to my manager .htaccess file and the errors went away. Another weird issue that is NOT a MODx error after all...
          "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
          • 958 Posts
          Curious to know that what have been changed from 09.6-RC3 to 0.96 release that causes the 500 internal server warning. im running a site with 09.6-RC3, but unfortunately for a brand new install and db of 09.6, there is no way to bypass the error msg at the same server!.
            [img]http://i10.tinypic.com/52c4eir.gif[/img][/td]
            [td][Wiki] [Persian support forum]
            [SVN] [RTL SVN Branch] [bugs] [FishEye+Crucible] [Learn MODx!] | [My Google Code]
            [font=tahoma][برای دسترسی به راهنمای فارسی به [url=http://www.modxcms.ir]
            • 925 Posts
            In Opera 9.23, in the textbox that holds the code for the pages/chunks/etc. (basically, any textarea in the Manager), when I use the scrollbar to scroll down, it "stops" before it reaches the actual bottom of the text. So I have to click in the textbox and hit the Page Down button on my keyboard to get to the actual end of the text.

This is when I’m not using any of the RTE’s --- I prefer to make my own code. smiley

I dunno what’s causing this, though.
              My Snippets
              -> PopUpChunk v1.0
            • @Soshite: I don’t know if this will help the problem you’re having, but I’ve had a pretty good experience using the EditArea plugin in Opera. It replaces the content text areas with a syntax highlighting, line number showing, search and replacing, tab-key allowing text editor. I couldn’t code in MODx without it! (Well, that’s an exaggeration, but it really has improved my coding experience in MODx by about 1000%).
                Mike Schell
                Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
                Email: [email protected]
                GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
                Twitter: @mkschell
                • 194 Posts
                As mentioned a moment ago on a separate thread, when assigning a custom document type, the manager looks for an image called "page.gif" for the tree - which isn’t there, so you don’t get an icon.

According to the wondrous Web Developer Toolbar, it is: manager/media/style/MODx/images/tree/page.gif (404 error.)

This is on the MODx template. One for the 0.9.6.1 patch?
                  Andy Shellam | www.networkmail.eu | @Pandy06269 @NetworkMail

modx Revolution 2.2.6
                  Windows 2012 | IIS 8 | php 5.4.11 | MySQL 5.5.29

Content-Managed Websites Built on MODX
                  • 925 Posts
                  I noticed this same problem occuring in MyBB’s AdminCP, so it’s either a Opera bug, or it’s being caused due to the skin I’m using (it’s a Opera-ish version of the Blue MS Office 2007).

I don’t think this is a MODx problem...but I’ll look into the EditArea plugin. smiley
                    My Snippets
                    -> PopUpChunk v1.0
                    • 925 Posts
                    It seems that Kesterel (sp?), aka Opera 9.5, seems to have fixed the "scroll" bug.

But for some reason, let’s say I click the link to make a new snippet. It loads fine, but in 10-15 seconds, something starts loading in the background, with a Images: XX/XX in the loading bar, which is weird, since that should mean every image is already loaded. This afffects anything else in the Manager, it seems.

Maybe it’s something that Firefox and IE normally load in the background, and Opera’s accidenally interpreting it wrong, thinking it something else that needs to be loaded in the foreground?
                      My Snippets
                      -> PopUpChunk v1.0
                    • The manager has some javascript that runs on a timer, pulling an image from the server every so often, to keep the session alive. I think that’s what you’re seeing. It’s been an annoyance for me before in Firefox as well.
                        Mike Schell
                        Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
                        Email: [email protected]
                        GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
                        Twitter: @mkschell

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.