We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Introducing MultiMedia Manager - A fully-functional GUI leveraging a powerful Module/Plugin/Snippet combination coupled with display Chunks and an XML Resource to simplify the management of audio/video on your MODx site.

This add-on has been written for an excellent Flash media player: JW FLV Player (http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/) with extensible features like player plugins, AdSolution, Bitrate switching, JavaScript API, player skinning, and more!

NOTE: The JW FLV Player is not included in the MultiMedia Manager package. You will need to visit the URL above and agree to the "noncommercial license" to download the FREE branded player, or you can purchase a commercial license to remove the branding. It *may* be possible to use an alternate flash player of your choice and customize the display chunks to work with the multimedia meta data, but this has not been tested, and any player-specific features would not be available.

Quick Steps:
    Quote from: "Quick

1. Run the MultiMedia Manager installer

2. Download JW FLV Player and place it here: assets/modules/multimedia_manager/player.swf
    NOTE: JW FLV Player 4.2 or higher is required, and I recommend the current stable 4.6 build.

3. Define external media source: Add a row to modx_multimedia_sources (Currently supported connection protocol: ftp)
    NOTE: For this to work as-is today, you will need to edit the database directly to enter your FTP credentials to connect your server and provide a remote path to your multimedia content. Recursive directories are not currently supported.

4. Import multimedia references from external sources (Edit a Resource, scroll to bottom and click "Manage MultiMedia" for modal pop-over, "Import" tab > click Import button)

5. Create a multimedia group and associate multimedia file(s) to a group

6. Place the "{multimedia.player}" placeholder where you’d like the flash player to show up in your template/resource.

A few of MultiMedia Manager’s features:

• Resource Multimedia Association (Module opens in modal window on Resource edit page)

• Global multimedia repository view (imported references from defined External sources)

• Multiple groups of multimedia can be created per Resource (e.g. Group of videos, group of audio, or both!)

• Editing the groups.... Can be changed to individual players (one per multimedia file) or playlist mode (one player, many files via automatic XML playlist)

• Multimedia shortcuts can be created that invoke the JavaScript API and jump right to the page, scroll to the player, and play a given playlist entry...seeking can fast forward right to the desired track time!

• GUI for editing a multimedia group’s items (.mp3, .flv, .mp4, etc). Items can be unpublished, sorted, deleted, etc

• Dynamic XML playlist creation

• MultiMedia property manager (placeholder/value pairs parsed into the player’s display Chunk)...perfect for multimedia level overrides for things like Hiding titles, autostarting, custom HTML, flashvar overrides, etc.

• The Plugin/Snippet combo allow for injecting your media player ANYWHERE within your site... Chunks, templates, etc. Uses a custom “placeholder”: {multimedia.player}

• Chunks (JS/HTML display) and an XML Resource (for playlists) complete the package!

• JSON-based equivalent of Plugin properties manager, only it is more robust and allows for all characters (where things like ";" don’t work today)

• Other features like Duplicating multimedia entries (w/ properties & descriptions), and also global multimedia unpublish/delete (deleting/unpublishing from the repository will also delete/unpublish any references for your site’s defined groups)

• Mix-and-Match: Aggregate multimedia references from multiple locations into one management repository.

• Metaviewer: JW FLV Playe plugin to view FLV meta data such as resolution, duration, video/audio bitrates, and more!

• Exclusively for MODx 1.0.2: OnDocDuplicate support! Duplicating a Resource on MODx 1.0.2 will carry over any defined MultiMedia Manager associations to your new resource!

• TODO: Add GUI for “manual” add feature...for adding local multimedia (e.g. /assets/media/) and interfacing with External sources table

* The installer contains two top-level directories: /assets and /install. It is intended to be extracted in the root of your site. Once extracted, browse to yoursite.com/install to run the installer!

Pick your poison: ZIP or TGZ cool

Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
      MODx Ambassador / Contributor
      [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
      Man, this looks awesome!

Can’t wait to try it!

Kudos for great work.
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • 2,877 Posts
        You ROCK! smiley
          @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
          http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
          http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
        • Quote from: zi at Nov 12, 2009, 11:05 PM

Man, this looks awesome!

Can’t wait to try it!

Kudos for great work.

@zi & mrhaw -- Thank you!

I am now including this custom SQL Insert statement to assist those of you looking for help in setting up your media sources:

INSERT INTO `modx_multimedia_sources` (`connect_server_title`, `connect_protocol`, `connect_server`, `connect_port`, `connect_directory`, `connect_user`, `connect_password`, `serve_protocol`, `serve_server`, `serve_port`, `serve_directory`, `serve_streamer`, `cre_dttm`, `mod_dttm`, `is_active`) VALUES('My Media Server Store','ftp','localhost','21','/Users/username/Sites/my_modx_site/assets/media','username','password','http','localhost','80','media','/~username/my_modx_site/assets','1216747073','1216747073','1');

INSERT INTO `modx_multimedia_sources` (`connect_server_title`, `connect_protocol`, `connect_server`, `connect_port`, `connect_directory`, `connect_user`, `connect_password`, `serve_protocol`, `serve_server`, `serve_port`, `serve_directory`, `serve_streamer`, `cre_dttm`, `mod_dttm`, `is_active`) VALUES('My Website','ftp','ftp.myserver.com','21','/absolute/path/to/assets/media','username','password','http','www.myserver.com','80','media','/assets','1216747073','1216747073','1');

The first example above works on my local Mac OS X 10.5.8, running XAMP w/ FTP enabled. This should give you an idea of the structure for 1.) Connecting to the source server via FTP, and 2.) Building the URI to serve the multimedia. In my test case I simply placed an FLV file in /assets/media...

The second example above illustrates serving from your MODx site when installed at the root (/) of the domain.
            [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
            I will definitely check this out. See if I can integrate it with flowplayer.
              Chuck the Trukk
              ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
              - - - - - - - -
              What are TV's? Here's some info below.
              http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
              http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
              • 2,877 Posts
              Flowplayer rocks, Chuck rocks.
                @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
                • 120 Posts
                Wow - that is fantastic.

May I suggest one more feature? As so many people want to embed YouTube/Vimeo etc, and using the RTE is useless for this unless you switch it off... Could this also be an interface for the embed code?
                • Quote from: Moondawgy at Nov 19, 2009, 08:04 AM

Wow - that is fantastic.

May I suggest one more feature? As so many people want to embed YouTube/Vimeo etc, and using the RTE is useless for this unless you switch it off... Could this also be an interface for the embed code?

I definitely agree that support for YouTube, Vimeo, etc. would be a great addition to this package. Once an interface has been built for manually mapping local multimedia (versus importing external streaming server references), I could see extending the support via the "sources" table for working with these video vendors. It should be as simple as mapping the unique YouTube video identifier. JW FLV player has YouTube support via the "yt.swf" (YouTube proxy), it just needs to reside in the same directory as the "player.swf"

I have not played with Flowplayer, but would be interested to see an implementation with other player(s)!
                  • This is spectacular. Multiple sources are mentioned. I’m not quite sure how to set that up. I’ve used the SQL statement to point to the media folder under assets and placed .flv and .mp3 files there but is there a way, at this point, to reference files from a streaming server for example?
                    • Quote from: rx2 at Nov 25, 2009, 12:18 AM

This is spectacular. Multiple sources are mentioned. I’m not quite sure how to set that up. I’ve used the SQL statement to point to the media folder under assets and placed .flv and .mp3 files there but is there a way, at this point, to reference files from a streaming server for example?

Of course! In fact, it was built as a solution for managing media stored on external streaming media servers, for example, LimeLight Networks.

By analyzing the SQL statement examples, it should be moderately easy to see the expected format for each column. It’s broken into two parts: CONNECT and SERVE. So, if you have a unique domain/FTP server (for Connecting to read the media directory listing) and also a unique domain for Streaming/Serving the multimedia, then it is still supported. If they are the same domain for Connect/Serve, then simply enter it as such.

External Source Setup (Streaming Media Configuration Example):

Connect:

• connect_server_title: LimeLight (RTMP)

• connect_protocol: ftp

• connect_server: upload.llnw.net

• connect_port: 21

• connect_directory: /CUSTOM_FOLDER

• connect_user: USERNAME

• connect_password: PASSWORD

This would generate a complete URI like: (ftp)://USERNAME:[email protected]:21/CUSTOM_FOLDER

NOTE: ftp changed to (ftp) for the above example to prevent forum from displaying incorrectly as: http://ftp://...

Serve:

• serve_protocol: rtmp

• serve_server: fcod.llnwd.net

• serve_port: 80

• serve_directory: CUSTOM_FOLDER

• serve_streamer: /abc123/d45

This would generate a complete URI like: rtmp://fcod.llnwd.net:80/abc123/d45/CUSTOM_FOLDER

As you can see above, the connect_protocol is FTP (port 21), but the serve_protocol is RTMP (over port 80)...
                      As for the connect_directory and serve_directory, if one is not required, simply enter "/" to serve/connect from the root. (Unfortunately, Recursive directories are not currently supported, though not ideal, you can create multiple source records to point to individual folders to circumvent this limitation...)