We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 406 Posts
    There needs to be a reasonable solution for people who are NOT students.
    Probably these people outnumber students and can become paying customers.
    Additionally, further documentation about what Vapor does and does not transfer over would help.
    I'd make Vapor bring over any existing files, images, etc.
    Thank you, Ton
      • 712 Posts
      There are other forum threads on Vapor, but I think the short answer is if it didn't bring over everything in /assets it didn't work correctly. Is that were these missing files were? Thread on vapor errors here http://forums.modx.com/thread/81151/vapor-errors

Quote from: TomMLS at Mar 06, 2013, 09:10 PM
      There needs to be a reasonable solution for people who are NOT students.
      Probably these people outnumber students and can become paying customers.
      Additionally, further documentation about what Vapor does and does not transfer over would help.
      I'd make Vapor bring over any existing files, images, etc.
      Thank you, Ton
        jpdevries
      • IMO, one of the most important things when evaluating any new product/service (free or not) is to gauge the overall impact on your workflow. Will this be more productive? Will things be easier overall? What may save you more time in one area, may cost you more in another. It's up to you to decide what you can live with (or without.)

In the web dev community, (S)FTP/SSH is essentially commonplace. No SFTP/SSH would be a deal breaker for me, but at least there are paid options supporting this requirement.

I am glad I was able to experience MODX Cloud during the free beta period when (S)FTP/SSH was available. Unfortunately, lack of database tunneling and other command line tools helped me realize how important certain pieces of my workflow were, no matter how enticing MODX Cloud still is. It's unfortunate that the free Lab Plan isn't an apples-to-apples comparison with the paid plans. Will I still use one on occasion? Probably.

I could see this leaving many non-paying users ultimately wanting more, which is most likely good business. I am curious to see what other features in the 2013/2014 Cloud roadmap will remain exclusive to paying customers. In the end, my excitement regarding the recent Lab Plan announcement was knocked down a few notches today. sad
          Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
          MODx Ambassador / Contributor
          [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
          I don't see the Laboratory plan as being just for testers or people new to MODX. In my own case, I already have several paid clouds and was looking at the Lab plan because of a lack of available Dev clouds on my account. The lab plan provides a great space to sandbox more complex installs that I wouldn't necessarily want sitting in my Standard plans.
            • 100 Posts
            I wanted to persuade a customer to use modx cloud. So i wanted to demo his website on modx cloud (lab plan) in addition with a new js script.
            But because i am unable to FTP my js files to the cloud, i would to this by hand.
            I am no fan in uploading 170files one by one in the manager.

Any suggestions how i can fix this and upload the files?
            Or is the FTP functionality coming soon?

• For now, you can upload a zip file, then write a quick script or snippet to unzip the files in place.

http://www.bjw.co.nz/developer/php/62-php-unzip-an-uploaded-file-using-php
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • discuss.answer
                Quote from: visvoer at Mar 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
                I wanted to persuade a customer to use modx cloud. So i wanted to demo his website on modx cloud (lab plan) in addition with a new js script.
                But because i am unable to FTP my js files to the cloud, i would to this by hand.
                I am no fan in uploading 170files one by one in the manager.

Any suggestions how i can fix this and upload the files?
                Or is the FTP functionality coming soon?

Hi Visvoer - You will be pleased to hear that we are working on introducing some SFTP features to Lab Accounts to enable faster imports of assets. As a relatively new service, we know that we will not get everything right all the time, but we do listen to our users and innovate as quickly as we can to ensure the Cloud remains as compelling as it is. I cannot commit to a date right now, but hopefully we can release this feature very soon. Please do keep an eye out for the announcement.

• 4,149 Posts
                  Hi guys.

We've added back in SFTP to Lab Accounts. You can now use SFTP in any Cloud in any Lab Account. Once you upgrade to a paid account, all your Clouds will have SSH enabled as well.

We won't be offering SSH for Lab Accounts, for the security reasons I listed in an earlier post. Also, we will only offer SFTP, not regular FTP, for security and stability reasons. But, good news! SFTP is back on for all Lab Accounts, so you guys can batch upload to your heart's content.
                    shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                    • 265 Posts
                    That is great news!
                    • Thanks a lot!
                        MODX Revolution expert
                        Follow ME on Twitter | Feel free ask any question on MODX-club