We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 150 Posts
    Hi

I’ve installed a fresh 2.6.0 final site, however when I add web users with the correct permissions to view certain pages, and set up the default page for them to be sent to after logging in, then actually try to log in, it keeps tellig me "Incorrect username or password" even though I know it’s correct for that web user.

I am right in thinking that at mysite.com/manager web users can use this form to log in and be redirected to the page I’ve specified right? It’s just not working at all for me sad
      Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
      • 1,611 Posts
      You’re confusing MANAGER users with WEB users. Only Manager users can log into the manager. See the MODx documentation for more info on how web users work.
        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • 150 Posts
        Yes, but I’m not - you’ve misunderstood me.

Web users could go to mysite.com/manager to log into the FRONT END in previous versions as I recall. I’m pretty sure I’m not just making this up.

This whole thing could be made less confusing in future versions wink

(It would also help if when people split posts from topic that they leave a note in the original topic saying they’ve done this as it took me about 5 minutes to find my post).

Update:

Even using the weblogin snippet to log in with my web user’s account it just isn’t working. It’s just not logging them in, but rather keeping them on the page with the sign-in form (and I’ve specified another page which only Web Users can view as the page to be taken to once logged in, and no I can’t access it when submitting my user’s details via the form wink).
          Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
        • Quote from: Pete at Jun 10, 2007, 08:55 AM

Yes, but I’m not - you’ve misunderstood me.

Web users could go to mysite.com/manager to log into the FRONT END in previous versions as I recall. I’m pretty sure I’m not just making this up.

This whole thing could be made less confusing in future versions wink
          Look at the Roadmap for 097. We agree. But you are in fact making this up ... webusers never have been able to login from the manager login without extra coding involved anyway.

(It would also help if when people split posts from topic that they leave a note in the original topic saying they’ve done this as it took me about 5 minutes to find my post).

Update:

Even using the weblogin snippet to log in with my web user’s account it just isn’t working. It’s just not logging them in, but rather keeping them on the page with the sign-in form (and I’ve specified another page which only Web Users can view as the page to be taken to once logged in, and no I can’t access it when submitting my user’s details via the form wink).
          Sounds like your weblogin snippet is on a cached page and called cached. Try calling like [!Weblogin ... !]
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 150 Posts
            I could’ve sworn it worked that way before... guess I was wrong then smiley

Yes, it does appear it was cached. I’m so ashamed - definitely won’t be trying things like this late at night or early in the morning again, at least not without some coffee wink

Cheers for the help chaps!
              Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
              • 114 Posts
              I could be grossly mistaken, sorry if so - but, maybe what you’re remembering is a Manager User to login via yoursite.com/manager/ - and then have edit functionality via QuickEdit. Sometimes I’ll hit the preview button from within Manager and eventually forget that I’m still logged in. So it *seems* like you’re logged in via the frontend (as a webuser).. The roadmap seems to have this flow sorted nicely, can’t wait.
                • 61 Posts
                This thread is a great one to show the importance of making sure to not cache your log in pages. I will keep this in mind; good stuff Zap and Pete. wink
                  "Don't waste your time or time will waste you"
                  • 7,075 Posts
                  Quote from: Pete at Jun 10, 2007, 02:29 PM
                  I could’ve sworn it worked that way before... guess I was wrong then smiley

I think you’ve installed ManagerLogin and forgot this was a snippet feature allowing your manager user to log from a front end form... it is all there is to it, you did indeed confuse things a bit but I can understand how it could happen wink
                    .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Quote from: robot at Jun 15, 2007, 03:06 PM

I could be grossly mistaken, sorry if so - but, maybe what you’re remembering is a Manager User to login via yoursite.com/manager/ - and then have edit functionality via QuickEdit. Sometimes I’ll hit the preview button from within Manager and eventually forget that I’m still logged in. So it *seems* like you’re logged in via the frontend (as a webuser).. The roadmap seems to have this flow sorted nicely, can’t wait.

It’s happened to me more times than I care to admin ("Dr. Freud -- line one"). But then, I’m easily confused. embarrassed

Bob
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 114 Posts
                      QuickEdit is sadly so out of date its one of the first things I disable upon installation of MODx. I can’t tell you how many times I was logged in as manager, trying to debug something using MooTools, and QE was ultimately the cause of the issue. Maybe someone should take on getting QuickEdit up to speed, or allowing for enabling/disabling without logging out of Manager.