We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,205 Posts
    I notice some JS errors while logged into the manager and viewing the site. I think it may be a conflict with quickedit or something like that. When not logged in as manager I do not get any errors...and the one I do get are my own fault (bad css or bad js or even bad html).
      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
      • 1,161 Posts
      Interesting questions and I like concept of this section.

I would like to see a "Snippet Calls for Dummies"

Sometimes with the various Snippets there is too much geekspeak technical information right at the top of the documentation: lots of parameters, advanced code, access files, PHP etc.

With regards to Snippets: they are a huge part of MODx and I think newbies want to begin their exploration of Snippets by reading a solid outline of what the Snippet is, what it does, where you should use, why you should use it etc. Provide an online sample maybe, or some capture images.

I think newbies also would benefit from more detailed instructions on how to install the Snippet and create your first basic Snippet Call. I would like to see an explanation of each part of the Snippet Call and what it is doing with an emphasis on the basic install. Then maybe a section of "now you have the basic Snippet Call working you might want to try these options..." and then list the most common and useful options and specific procedures to achieving them.

I wonder if a library of polished useful snippet calls would be beneficial? Maybe a list that helps "Troubleshooting your Snippet Calls..."
        • 2 Posts
        hi,
        i am new to modx,
        how to create new block on home page like
        ’Menu’ having all menus...
        i want to create a block having some content on the home page itself...
        • 1) Forget everything you know about other systems; MODx doesn’t really impose a lot of limitations. Read the documentation on the main site; it’s slightly out of date, but the principals hold fast.

2) Create a template just for the home page

3) Add the appropriate [[wayfinder? &startId=`0` ... !] call to your template where you want it to appear.

There’s many different ways to do this but this one is probably the easiest.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 8 Posts
            alistairjackman Reply #25, 15 years ago
            I have been looking through the forum trying to find the best place to post some thoughts on MODx, and this seems like the ideal topic.

I’m not exactly a newbie, having used MODx on several sites. I’d go so far to add I’m an adpet developer in general. Once I know what I need and have seen a relevant API I’m usually fine by myself.

What I really struggle with when it comes to MODx is finding a good, central location to find the information I need on how to implement a particular feature using the available add-ons/snippets. Let me give you an example, based on a real project I’m working on at the moment.

I am building a site that needs a simple blog. It’s more akin to just News items, that users can comment on (anonymously or as a regstered user.)

Now I’m in no doubt whatsoever that many developers out there (and on this forum) have done this already but I find it very frustrating trying to find a definitive description of what Snippets I need to use, and for what elements. In this particular example I’ve got to the point where I’m fairly certain that I can accomplish what I’m after using Ditto to collate the information from the ’news’ items, and Jot to add the capability for users to comment on those items.

But it’s taken me a fair amount of time to reach this conclusion after going back and forth between the offical MODx documentation, individual Add-On sites or Wikis, the general MODx Wiki, searches on this forum, random Googling etc.

So, getting back on topic.. What I would really really love to see in a newbie FAQ, or on the main MODx site, is some kind of decision ’helper’ app that lists all the common things that website developers may want to build, with suggestions as to which MODx Snippets/Add-ons can be used or combined to produce the desired feature. This could simply be a table listing common features/funcitonal elements as rows, with columns for the various MODx Add-ons and some indicaiton of how suitable it is for implementing that feature.

Such a tool should stay well away from techincal/developer talk. To illustrate what I mean, take the description of Ditto from the Extras section of the MODx site:

Ditto takes advantage of an external class, language files to work with multi-language installs, and uses templates extensively for the ultimate in output formatting flexibility and control. And while it has more than 40 configurable parameters in it’s current implementation, you only need for great results (although telling it explicitly where to start probably wouldn’t hurt).

Now I’m sure Ditto is one of the most useful Add-ons for MODx, but the above description is more or less useless in my opinion. When looking at available Add-ons the first thing I want to know is what it can be used for and what you can build with it not how many parameters it has or any other technical details. Yes, there’s ’category’ information shown alongside the description, but just one paragraph that gets to the crux of what this Snippet can be used for would be much better.

I would like to add that I love MODx and I sing its praises to all who will listen. But time and again the thing that really slows me down and hampers my productivity is simply figuring out the puzzle of what snippets I need to use to do what. The new MODx website looks great, but I would personally really love to see more documentation that can help me make these decisions as a developer, before I venture off into individual Wikis or API docs or whatever.
              • 793 Posts
              I underline every single word in your post. My hope is that after the launch of Revo and Evo (which of course for the moment are binding a lot of manpower) there will be a new effort to work on the really essential point of tutorials. The success of MODx will depend on those who are looking for features (like creating a blog) they know from other CMSs out there.
                • 24,544 Posts
                I’ve written several descriptions of Ditto (not the one you quote, though, which at least doesn’t user the word "aggregate" wink ) and it’s extraordinarily hard to convey what it is to people who know nothing about it. The problem is Ditto’s flexibility. The things you can use it for are endless and quite varied -- News page, blog, photo gallery, events calendar, you name it. In all cases there are ways to do it without Ditto so you can’t say "Ditto is what to use if you want . . ."

That said, any description of it should contain examples of how it’s often used.

The best docs are often written by people who are in exactly your situation so if you can come up with a good description of Ditto (or any other snippet), you can bet it will find it’s way to places where people can see it. smiley

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • Quote from: alistairjackman at Mar 05, 2009, 12:47 PM

I am building a site that needs a simple blog. It’s more akin to just News items, that users can comment on (anonymously or as a regstered user.)

Now I’m in no doubt whatsoever that many developers out there (and on this forum) have done this already but I find it very frustrating trying to find a definitive description of what Snippets I need to use, and for what elements. In this particular example I’ve got to the point where I’m fairly certain that I can accomplish what I’m after using Ditto to collate the information from the ’news’ items, and Jot to add the capability for users to comment on those items.

But it’s taken me a fair amount of time to reach this conclusion after going back and forth between the offical MODx documentation, individual Add-On sites or Wikis, the general MODx Wiki, searches on this forum, random Googling etc.

Did you do an install with the demo content? This is set up as a perfect example out of the box, including comment moderation. Tweak the CSS and a couple of parameters and you’d have been set.

That said, your other points are 1000% right on. First step was launching the new site, next we’ve got to clean some things up, then we’ll get moving with improving the add-ons even more. Thank you for taking the time to provide great feedback. laugh
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 1 Posts

when i first startet to playing around with MODx:

1. I didnt find install instructions on the website smiley.
                    2. I didnt find templatig instructions or templates smiley.
                    3. All info about anything is hidden kinda good behind many links smiley.
                      • 8 Posts
                      alistairjackman Reply #30, 15 years ago
                      The best docs are often written by people who are in exactly your situation so if you can come up with a good description of Ditto (or any other snippet), you can bet it will find it’s way to places where people can see it.

I would be happy to provide feedback on what I’ve done with MODx. Perhaps a mechanism for adding user reviews or aggregating developer ’uses’ for snippets and add-ons?

That said, your other points are 1000% right on. First step was launching the new site, next we’ve got to clean some things up, then we’ll get moving with improving the add-ons even more. Thank you for taking the time to provide great feedback.

No problem, hope I have assisted in some way.