We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 54 Posts
    Okay, fellows. Ryan has (quite unexpectedly) asked me to start making a list of Frequently Asked [Support] Questions (FAQs) coming from newbie users of MODx. The simple reason is to try to alleviate some of the support burden from the MODx dev team by answering some of the most common support questions once and for all. Therefore I ask:

@All seasoned MODx’ers:
    As far as your experience goes, what are the support questions you feel keep coming over and over again?

@All newbies:
    What are the questions you, as new to MODx, feel doesn’t get answered in the FAQ section or in the Documentation?

If you feel you somehow need to explain the reasoning behind the question, please feel free to do so!

Shoot away, folks!

List of suggested Newbie FAQs:

• Q: How do I [insert your problem] with DropMenu?
    • Q: Can MODx run on [insert your Server OS]?
    • Q: How do I style the contact form or the web signup and web login boxes?
      • 93 Posts
      "How do I X with DropMenu?"

It was one of the first questions I asked. ANd the one I see most often.
      Scotty has a great starting place thread that acctually gave me a break through recently. ALso his suggestion using web dev plugin.

Also, "Can modx run on *choose your Server OS*? Is another.
        • 345 Posts
        How do I style the contact form or the web singup and web login boxes?

• 356 Posts
          I wish there was a way to add to the websign up form so we can use it for registering web users instead of having to do up a separate form to be submitted to email. It can be much work adding users manually better to set it up in auto mode but the current websignup doesn’t include some items I would need and i’m not sure if it can send info via email. One way might be to just have them register to signup using the current form then have them register again via another form that submits the info to email may be too much though.

newbie newbie du
            SMF Bookmark Mod - check it out
            http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=350
            • 17 Posts
            I’m still learning but here are my favourites.

1. How do I install the new xxx template into MODx?

2. How do I edit the content without going into the manager?

3. Firefox reports a recursive javascript error. What can I do about it?

4. Do I have to include a reference to MODx on my site?

5. One more time - what is the diference between a TV, snippet, chunk and plug-in?

6. Why would I need to create a new weblink as well document or folder?

7. How can I change the order of the options in my drop down menu?

8. When should I cache or uncache a page?

9. I’m a refugee from Mambo/Joomla/Drupal/Wordpress/ etc.. how can I migrate my site across?

10. How do I import a static site HTML site into MODx?
              The shallower you are, the more ground you cover.
            • And now you can put them all here: http://wiki.modxcms.com/
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 68 Posts
                I found some great answers to newbie questions I had until today at www.moxhost.com ... great resource site (I saw that all of the articles where posted today , 12 october). It would be nice to have links from the main site (modxcms) to all resource sites: wiki , alternate community-driven websites etc smiley .
                  • 1,097 Posts
                  That’s www.modxhost.com and I believe the date is the current server time not the date articles were posted. This only goes to show how daft it is to put the current date and time in your webpage template.
                    No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                    MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                    Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                    Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                    Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                    MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
                    • 86 Posts
                    I need how to use ditto guide! laugh
                      • 1,097 Posts
                      If you could make your questions more specific, that would be helpful.

For Ditto and the Wiki, please see:
                      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,8749.0.html - my request for pointers
                      and
                      http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Ditto - the new hub for Ditto wiki pages.
                        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!