We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 120 Posts
    This is an auto-generated support/comment thread for Kalender Enhanced.

Use this forum to post any comments about this addition or any questions you have regarding its use.

Brief Description:
    A wide-format calendar for scheduling and event listing.
      • 964 Posts
      Looks very nice!!! I will have to give it a try...
      nice site too!!

Does it have a reduced form too? One that can go in the sidebar like the original Kalender?
      and when clicked on a link would turn into a "Kalender Enhanced"???

Thanks for your work!
        MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
        • 120 Posts
        Quote from: charliez at Dec 10, 2007, 05:15 PM

Does it have a reduced form too?  One that can go in the sidebar like the original Kalender?
        and when clicked on a link would turn into a "Kalender Enhanced"???

No, it doesn’t currently.  That’s a great idea, though.  However, I’m not sure it’s worth the time and effort, considering that there is alternative method that would be very easy to do.  Just download both Kalender and Kalender Enhanced.  On your home page, create a snippet call for Kalender, with whatever parent folder has your events.  Place a link below the smaller calendar to the page that has Kalender Enhanced.  On that page, place a snippet call for Kalender Enhanced, and use the same parent folder.  Style both.  No further work required.  From that point on, both calendars will stay in sync automatically.

Actually, the one thing you would need to do is change the folder name of the Kalender Enhanced snippet files, which currently uses the same folder name as Kalender.  You would also need to change the folder name in the snippet code.  It’s a small change.  Maybe if I get time, I’ll take care of that, so that you can run both snippets on the same site.  Otherwise, anyone with even remedial PHP skills can make this happen.

The more I think about it, this might be nice for my own site, so I may take care of it sooner than later.  I could probably integrate both together into one like you’re wanting just as easily. We’ll see though.

Wow, I think I just did a complete 180 degree turnaround mid-post. I guess I’m crazy like that. smiley

Thanks for the great suggestion.
          • 3 Posts
          I currently attempting to use your calendar app and although it does display on the page, none of my events are showing up. I’ve double-checked everything from the installation notes and everything seems to be implemented properly. The only aspect of this app that I am a little confused by is the setup of the TV’s. I created StartTIme and EndTIme but I am not sure what formatting to apply to these....Date? More detail on how to set up the TV’s would be greatly appreciated. That’s what I’m currently using although my events aren’t showing up. The only other concern I have is that in your installation notes you mention the file kalender_snippet_copy_this.php that does not appear in the zip file I downloaded. Was this a typo or am I missing the file?

Thanks for you help with this and I appreciate all the hard work that went into this app.

Michael
            • 120 Posts
            Quote from: trakkstar at Dec 12, 2007, 02:00 AM

I currently attempting to use your calendar app and although it does display on the page, none of my events are showing up.  I’ve double-checked everything from the installation notes and everything seems to be implemented properly.  The only aspect of this app that I am a little confused by is the setup of the TV’s.  I created StartTIme and EndTIme but I am not sure what formatting to apply to these....Date?  More detail on how to set up the TV’s would be greatly appreciated.  That’s what I’m currently using although my events aren’t showing up.  The only other concern I have is that in your installation notes you mention the file kalender_snippet_copy_this.php that does not appear in the zip file I downloaded.  Was this a typo or am I missing the file? 

Thanks for you help with this and I appreciate all the hard work that went into this app.

Michael

kalender_snippet_copy_this.php is something that is left from a much older version of Kalendar.  No doubt the install notes need to be cleaned up.  I did my best to make sure things were clear before I uploaded it, but I didn’t have a lot of time.

One thing I noticed about the way you typed the TVs, StartTIme and EndTIme, is that the "i" in "Time" is capitalized.  Is it capitalized in the actual names of your TVs, or is this a typo?  It shouldn’t be capitalized; it should be StartTime and EndTime.

And yes, good point about the data type, I need to add that to the instructions.  They should be of type date, and the widget for the TV should be set to Unixtime.  This will give you a date picker that will output a timestamp, which is what the snippet needs.  Sorry I left that out.
              • 3 Posts
              "TV should be set to Unixtime." That was it!! Thanks again for your help with this. If its of any pay back I can certainly send you a revised version of the install notes based on my perspective. Its the least I could do for such a useful app. Let me know.

Michael
                • 120 Posts
                Okay, I’ve submitted a new version. Once again, this is a throw-together (life in the fast lane, as always), so if you find any bugs, let me know.

This new version has a new parameter: ’mode’. Setting mode to ’standard’ displays the small, original Kalender, while setting it to ’enhanced’, or not setting it at all, displays the new, enhanced version.

Although you can display the original Kalendar, it still has all of the technical advantages of the enhanced Kalender, i.e. it uses TVs for the dates instead of the published and unpublished fields, and it will display any child document of the specified parents as long as the StartTime TV is set, and this includes folders/containers.

Get it here.
                  • 615 Posts
                  Can Kalender Enhanched show more than one event pr. day? If so, is it possible to style them with different styles (colors)?
                    I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?
                    • 120 Posts
                    Quote from: Sylvaticus at Dec 14, 2007, 06:56 PM

Can Kalender Enhanched show more than one event pr. day? If so, is it possible to style them with different styles (colors)?

Yes and kind of. If you want each event to have a certain style/color, the text for each event, whether that be the description, summary, or content, will have to be in a div or span that has a class or style instructions that make it the color you want.

I could give every other event an "alt" class, that could be styled with a different color.
                      • 345 Posts
                      How hard would it to be to adjust the calendar to accept another TV with a drop down list of colors, ie Dark Red, Light Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue, etc. Then the calendar would automatically insert that span around each title.

The more advanced alternative would be to have the TV drop down contain event categories that you could setup and then style whatever color you wanted. Then in the calendar view you could also setup a list of those categories and show only matching events.

That would lead to a third revision to restrict those events based on web user access privileges.

vCalendar claims to be open source and is pretty slick looking. I wonder how hard it would be to get that reworked to link in to the MODx framework for integration with users and postings.