We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 616 Posts
    Hello

just tried to install the tinyMCE plugin - however, I’m getting an error when trying to edit a document. Line: 704 Error: Expected identifier, string or number.

Am I doing something wrong?
      • 1,131 Posts
      Quote from: mmjaeger at Aug 08, 2005, 08:57 PM

Hello

just tried to install the tinyMCE plugin - however, I’m getting an error when trying to edit a document. Line: 704 Error: Expected identifier, string or number.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hmm...does it say in which document the error is occuring?
        Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
        • 616 Posts
        weird - after reinstalling, it kind of works - still getting an error - javascript debugger is refering to line 32: options.length is null - the file is the advanced/editor_template.js file.

one thing I discovered is that if you install the editor twice, it does not overwrite the previous installation but installs a second instance resulting various double entries in the manager.

when switch to the default toolbar instead of the advanced, the editor doesn’t come up at all - the following error message comes up:

line 704: Error: expected identifier, string or number - I guess the error is occuring in the main manager file right where tinyMCE gets initialized:

tinyMCE.init({
        theme : ’default’,
        mode : "exact",
        elements : ’ta’,
        });
          • 1,131 Posts
          Ah..the error occurs when using the default theme! Ok...that helps a bunch! I’ll look into it when I get to work. smiley
            Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
            • 1,131 Posts
            Ok...I see the errors now. Seems they only occur in Internet Explorer. Different error for default and advanced themes too! Looks like a job for the script debugger! I’ll see what I can do.
              Jeff Whitfield

• 1 Posts
              FYI.... I installed TinyMCE and am editing using a Mac with Firefox and have not experienced any problems yet. I tried using Safari but, as the popup suggests, there is still issues using TinyMCE with Safari. Hope this helps any Mac users.
                • 1,131 Posts
                Ok...I’ve updated the plugin. Redownload it in my first post. This is version 1.22. For the advanced theme, I’ve removed the Zoom and ISpell plugins. The Zoom plugin appears to cause a javascript bug in IE and since it looks to be an IE only plugin...ditch it! Same for the ISpell plugin...which isn’t even included as a default plugin. This should solve the javascript errors for the advanced theme. Now...for the default theme...it was a relatively simple fix. Seems I missed a comma in one of the parameters. wink All looks good so far.
                  Jeff Whitfield

• 1,131 Posts
                  Quote from: fernando at Aug 09, 2005, 02:32 PM

FYI.... I installed TinyMCE and am editing using a Mac with Firefox and have not experienced any problems yet. I tried using Safari but, as the popup suggests, there is still issues using TinyMCE with Safari. Hope this helps any Mac users.

Try the new version (1.22). If you still have problems, post the error code and/or a screenshot. smiley
                    Jeff Whitfield

• 616 Posts
                    Quote from: Bravado at Aug 09, 2005, 03:17 PM

Quote from: fernando at Aug 09, 2005, 02:32 PM

Try the new version (1.22).  If you still have problems, post the error code and/or a screenshot.  smiley

sorry to tell you, but it still doesn’t work - line 701 (default and advanced layout) - tinyMCE is undefined!
                      • 1,131 Posts
                      Alright...here’s what I’ve found out. I looked at the plugin on a Mac here at work and...well...you’re exactly right. Doesn’t work worth a damn on Safari. In fact, it appears that the latest version of TinyMCE doesn’t work for Safari altogether. Check it out here: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/ Go to Examples and you’ll see what I mean. From what I gather on the MoxieCode forums, support for Safari is extremely limited right now and buggy at best...something to do with the javascript support in Safari. Right now, there simply isn’t any fixes available to make the plugin work right in Safari. So if you plan on using TinyMCE, it’s recommended that you use Firefox or Mozilla instead of Safari. Aside from the TinyMCE plugin, it looks like there are still issues with some of the Manager pages in Safari.
                        Jeff Whitfield