We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Okay now that’s clearer.

I guess you’re right there, knowledge spreads from one project to another.

But it’s not really that a tool is better than another one in absolute terms : it depends on the context and in my opinion, when you’re in the business part of the added value is the ability to choose the best tool for the job.

I never thought one tool could do it all. I will keep using textpattern for the projects where it best fits and I will definitely use MODx more and more since it’s a versatile tool...
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • 1,495 Posts
      Quote from: davidm at Jan 18, 2006, 07:36 PM

But it’s not really that a tool is better than another one in absolute terms : it depends on the context and in my opinion, when you’re in the business part of the added value is the ability to choose the best tool for the job.

I second this. Even though we the active user in using MODx system might be biased about our own system, and that’s when we need an outsider to help us open our eyes to all future possibility to improve our system.

For now, I can see that MODx is not as mature as other CMS system such as Joomla, textpattern, or etc, but we are getting there, and it’s an important time for us to decide which way we should be heading. I think the way we approach the roadmap in MODx is really awesoem. I mean we ar enot aiming to have a fully standalone product to serve all the end-users, instead we let the end-user to customize the system into fully unique system. Even though it needs a great deal of knowledge in PHP, MySql, and the current MODx architecture.

I think by having a 3-tier market in MODx will help us achieve this so called "Jack of all Modules, master of the CMS.", Raymon.

The first tier is of cource the core developers who are diligently keep improving the system, and the second tier is the module/snippet/plugin maker who keep extending the capability of the current API and system into a full scalable product for the end user, while the last tier is the end user who just need a system that can be run in a minute and run flawlessly and serve theiir specific needs.

The second tier is more like the bridge to the end user. It can be a paid consultant who knows what they are doing with MODx or the users who are willing to make a package of pre-installed system under MODx for the end user to use it.

Hope we can achieve this kind of community in this 2006.
      Anybody agree with me?
        Wendy Novianto
        [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
        [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
      • I agree 100% Wendy -- I chose Eto and MODx because of the ability for me to have total control over the CMS solutions I was deploying. I wanted something easy for my users to update (like WordPress or PostNuke or Joomla), but without the restrictions on output and structure they imposed.

MODx should provide a market to developers like me, who want a framework to help develop custom sites more efficiently, and a CMS for allowing their users to manage the custom site. It should also provide a market for component developers that want to make some money providing advanced functionality that can be easily plugged in to the core. And finally, it should also provide a market for those that want to add end-user wizards and tools for getting sites up with no development knowledge at all. These vertical-market solutions are the key to getting YAPS users, bloggers, CRM customers, and others to opt for MODx-based solutions, and will require due diligence from the other two tiers to make it possible.
          • 1,495 Posts
          Jason, the CRM thing is really an important issue in here.

Before that, we might need to start having a built in approved PHP AJAX framework to work on MODx. The reason to this, it helps a half coder like me and the rest to start coding in an AJAX based application. Honestly, I know server side scripting a lot, but not in the client side scripting such as javascript. I thought it’s not important at first, but the more this AJAX technology kick in into the the market, the more the end users required the need to have a nice and easy to use interface.

I start looking at the prototype documentation posted by susan. I hope with this, we don’t need another PHP AJAX framework. You know it better as the professional programmer Jason. If you think it will help increasing the interest from the second tier user, I think you can start planning it on for the future release. Whichever way that you pick, I’ll always believe that that’s the best. Becauser right now the first tier is quite stable and reliable to keep improving and bringing the system to the point where we can be proud in using it for our end products.

(Man another long post. Anyway, thanks for all your helps.)
            Wendy Novianto
            • 1,495 Posts
            Wanna consider this?
            http://www.xajaxproject.org/

It looks really simple to implement in my part. laugh
              Wendy Novianto