We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    I am wondering if anyone here cares to compare/contrast MODx and Textpattern.
    I’ve developed commercial sites in Textpattern and MODx looks intriguing to me. Anyone?
      Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion
      • 1,193 Posts
      You may want to PM David M. He has a lot of experience with both TextPattern and MODx, and continues to be a tremendous resource for both communities.

-sD-
        Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
        All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
        • 138 Posts
        The forum rule should be : never post anything shorter than your sig.
          Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
          I Corinthians (ch. XV, v. 33)
          • 1,193 Posts
          Quote from: gaoshan at Dec 24, 2005, 10:04 PM

Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion…. perhaps around their necks? And maybe — dare I dream it? — maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively.
          — Jon Stewart

But damn that is a great quote for a sig! Oh, Oh, Oh... Do I love that John Stewart!
          Kudo’s on the signature quote man! I love it.
            Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
            All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
            • 30 Posts
            Quote from: ScottyDelicious at Dec 24, 2005, 10:16 PM

You may want to PM David M. He has a lot of experience with both TextPattern and MODx.../

It would have been nice to see those comments here. sad
              • 7,075 Posts
              Well would you expect me not to show up on such a thread ? Of course it didn’t take me to long, uh tongue ?

I’ve started discussing Texpattern/MODx differences when I arrived here, 3 month ago in the thread What did you use before MODx ?.

I went on about it on textpattern’s forum when I first mentionned MODx : http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=12490

You might find some things that’ll interrest you smiley

But let’s sum it up and give a short answer : MODx is as flexible as Textpattern, with more features and expandability (though textpattern’s elements might balance this a little bit).

As I said before, I came to MODx because Textpattern was lacking in some areas, especially for corporate websites :

• custom fields : in textpattern, you are limited to 10, and you can’t change the custome field’s type (it’s varchar(255) ). That’s where MODx is truly the king of them all : aside from ezPublish which is slow, I don’t know any CMS with so many degrees of freedom as far as custom fields are concerned. In fact, MODx goes even further than just custom fields if you consider the way you can combine them with @bindings and widgets grin
              • illimited hierarchical levels : as you know, there you only have one level of depth (subcategories) which is not even truly hierarchical in textpattern. That’s a real problem when you try to build complex websites that need a deeper structure.
              • Frontend editing : while textpattern has a plugin for this, it’s very limited compared to what MODx has to offer with QuickEdit, which to me is simply the best frontend editing available in the opensource world. It’s no small item in corporate environment, I see it everytime I demo the system smiley
              • Permissions : You have way more control over permission in MODx, one big item is that you can’t natively control access to pages in Textpattern (of course as usual you can use plugins/hack to do this, it’s less manageable, there are less options and it’s less secure).
              • [li]Content-type: the concept of documents is more adapted to corporate websites than that of articles. Textpattern is aimed at online publishing or blogging, MODx goes beyond with various content-type for documents (recently we talked about MODx’s ability to parse CSS documents which will allow for dynamic stylesheets grin)

That’s the major "pros" I would see that MODx has over Texpattern. MODx still lacks the ability to handle workflow but it will come in time. Revisionning would also be a plus in corporate environment.

That being said, Textpattern has some big pros too : it’s light, it gives you full control over design (maybe it’s because I am learning MODx but sometimes I wish I had more control over the output html code) and you now have more than 280 high quality, feature rich plugins. One thing I still would like to have in MODx is the equivalent of conditionnal tags (Edit : You know have it with PHx !) . In this regard, the filter parameter in the NewsListing Ditto snippet is certainly heading the right way smiley I hope other major plugins give you the ability to define conditions to be tested, it’s very useful to avoid multiple templates (some textpattern websites I have build even have just one or two templates with several conditionnals, it’s a breeze to maintain and build).

Anyway, I must say I am using MODx more and more. I’ll probably use textpattern for very simple/small corporate websites, or those dedicated mainly to publishing or blogging (though MODx’s NewsListing has become somewhat of a killer blog ap : consider that you’ll be able to use fully customisable fields for your blog ! Imagine the possibilities, that is for power blogger or corporate blogging).

As I said somewhere, Textpattern is more a website management system than a content management system (yeah, we tend to dub every web application CMS while they’re not always tool to truly manage content). Once MODx has both tagging and workflow, I think it will be the best content management system around (in many ways, it already is grin But Drupal’s taxonomy module make it a better tool for managing complex content)
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                • 30 Posts
                Does MODx allow taging articles with keywords?
                  • 7,075 Posts
                  Yes it does smiley You can create/edit/delete keywords easily and assign multiple keywords.

You also have a snippet, ListRelated, that is used to list all items tagged with a certain keyword, or certain keywords.
                    .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                    • 1,495 Posts
                    As for my way in approaching that.

I will set the description field to be my keyword field, and my longtitle will be my web title. So in the template all I need is to put [*longtitle*] or [*description*] inside the meta tag value. If you use all those fields, than you can create a new Template Variables to handle those.

Only your imagination can limit MODx. smiley Hope you find MODx to be one of your swiss army in website development.

Sincerely,
                      Wendy Novianto
                      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
                      • 1,495 Posts
                      Btw, that’s a good overview there, even though I know it’s a bit biased, considering David is part of MODx team too. lol. laugh

Note: I’m just kidding! laugh
                        Wendy Novianto
                        [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                        [font=Verdana]Xituz Media