We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Yeah nobody can pretend to be impartial, plus I am an enthusiast by nature grin

Yet I have been involved in textpattern since its beginning in 2004, I am not too partial either wink

I love both applications, even if I didn’t like the way things went ever since Dean "left" the project (this has never been made clear but last time he touched the code was september 2005). Communication between devs and community is not what it used to be, neither is the community dynamics for that matter... the main admin@the forums (and a fabulous plugin writer too) has left unexpectdly, all is not well right now with Textpattern (not talking code wise here...). This page (roadmap) used to be public, for instance...
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • 30 Posts
      Lets say you like TxP... Then it’s also likely that person contribute to his own project to get the same strength and surpasse that in the most liked area.
        • 7,075 Posts
        Not sure what you mean there huh

MODx est l'outil id
          • 3 Posts
          (Yo David.)

Yeah, blogplus, is that a statement or a question?
            It’s not what you’ve got, it’s where you stick it.
            • 7,075 Posts
            Mary, nice to see you here grin !!!

Anything to add to my 2cents comparison between MODx and txp ? Especially as far as Textpattern is concerned, you could have for sure a more in-depth vision smiley

MODx est l'outil id
              • 1,732 Posts
              One thing I still would like to have in MODx is the equivalent of conditionnal tags.

Well, well, well you can never tell what the future holds now can you smiley

I sure hope you will fall in love with it the same way I did. It’s the most flexible piece of code I ever written todate!

MODx - Create and do more... with less!
                xWisdom
                www.xwisdomhtml.com
                The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                • 7,075 Posts
                Quote from: xwisdom at Jan 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
                Well, well, well you can never tell what the future holds now can you smiley

Yeah, well, I don’t know about conditionnal tags, but I do know whatever happens with MODx in the future is going to be exciting ! I like the "vision" behind the app grin

Quote from: xwisdom
                I sure hope you will fall in love with it the same way I did. It’s the most flexible piece of code I ever written todate!

No doubt I love MODx, would I be there if not smiley ?

Anyway, it’s fun to work with ! It’s flexible and as I said, I am just learning and most of the time, when I look for a feature it’s already there or in the hopper smiley

I am always bewildered by the threads on the forums : "Wouldn’t it be great to have MODx do this and do that ?" and bam, usually it’s a matter of hours or days before you get the answer and go on expermimenting... grin

Really, it’s awesome...

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 3 Posts
                  Quote from: davidm at Jan 18, 2006, 01:49 PM
                  Anything to add to my 2cents comparison between MODx and txp?

• "chunks" in MODx are called "forms" in Txp
                  • there is no equivalent (not even close) in Txp to @binding or template variables
                  • MODx "snippets" are created and further managed via the admin interface; in Textpattern (public-side "plugins") they must first be created by an external script and installed before they can be managed

It’s not what you’ve got, it’s where you stick it.
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    About chunks, I find it very nice to have them work with stylesheets (when you handle your stylesheets as MODx documents with content-type:text/css).

Very useful !

Not to mention the ability to have MODx parse CSS, therefore have server-side css with MODx grin
                    Check http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,2343.0.html

MODx est l'outil id
                      • 30 Posts
                      Quote from: davidm at Jan 18, 2006, 01:29 PM

Not sure what you mean there huh

Ex: X was earlier programming CMSA, but left to join CMSB. Naturally X likes to see the new project beat CMSA. ...and the features he really liked in CMSA he will try to push into CMSB.
                      There is a naturall force of copying and coping that leads to improvement. Promoting the new project is both naturall and often true...