We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • From what I understand, Code Press is actually a bit faster, more full featured, works in Safari, and a bit more stable as well. Then again I could be completely wrong. tongue
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
    • Quote from: PaulGregory at Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 PM

This is meaningless. MODx is not a democracy and if it was, 25 people who visited a thread called "Syntax Highlighting for snippet, plugin, module and chunk editing using EditArea" and placed a vote would not constitute a quorum.

I’ve not voted, but my vote would be with the "If you want it, add it yourself." crowd.

Of course MODx is not a democracy, rather an open source PHP Application Framework. You’re absolutely right. My intentions were only to provide a high-level representation of the involved users’ opinions regarding this plugin and their experience thereafter. I’m sorry you felt my statement regarding ’76% of the community’ was referencing the entire MODx following--I was not. I obviously meant a percentage of the users who even bothered to voice their opinion in the poll. I have updated my post to more clearly indicate the percentage referenced only those users who have been involved...

Quote from: PaulGregory at Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 PM

Is it stable yet?

Please note that a few of the instabilities posted have been directly related to the plugin/implementation, and its relationship within the MODx framework. (e.g. Tested on incompatible/outdated MODx revisions, typos, etc. ) We have also discussed issues regarding MODx Resource Wizard implementation techniques as well.

As far as EditArea is concerned, it is indeed stable enough to be used and labeled as ’production-ready’.
      As of EditArea 0.6.2 (plus latest MODx SVN), most known issues are now gone. Are there any specific stability issues that haven’t been addressed?

I was not aware EditArea did not work in Safari huh According to the compatibility chart on the author’s site, this definitely is not defined as compatible, although it appears anything related to a Mac is also untested...

I am interested, does CodePress provide multi-lingual support? Also, I don’t believe codepress offers bracket-matching or line-highlighting, but am not sure...

Quote from: PaulGregory at Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 PM

I can’t see it being pre-packaged before it’s stable. I should point out that there’s talk of multiple packages in the future, so there could easily be a "MODx with EditArea" amongst the versions.

Optionally-packaged release versions, eh? Sounds intriguing. Another reason I like this suggestion is that it allows for the core-code of MODx to remain unaltered (Raw), but would still provide alternate options to its end-users.

Good thing MODx is as great as it is! Whether we ever see MODx pre-packaged w/ any form of syntax highlighting or not, at least we know users who want codepress can add it themselves. Same goes for users who would prefer to use EditArea... IMO, everybody else is simply missing out wink
        Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
        MODx Ambassador / Contributor
        [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
      • Quote from: Gildas at Nov 21, 2006, 10:11 PM

In this version the Cookies are managed by Mootools so you need to upgrade your version to at least 0.9.5 Rev. 2000. Mootools Cookies extension is very limited sad I will change this "bad choice" in a future release.

I have just performed an upgrade to rev 2051... All is well! Cookie error is gone (my bad for testing on outdated SVN)

Would you mind clarifying/illustrating how the new Cookie feature works? I couldn’t seem to notice any difference?
          [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
        • Quote from: PaulGregory at Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 PM

Is it stable yet?
          At this stage this plugin is quite stable with MODx 0.9.5 Rev.2000+, however some improvements need to be done (ie Cookies Managements & External Parameters)...

Quote from: rthrash at Nov 21, 2006, 10:25 PM

From what I understand, Code Press is actually a bit faster, more full featured, works in Safari, and a bit more stable as well. Then again I could be completely wrong. tongue
          The first version of this plugin was developed for CodePress (cf. http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,8029.msg57698.html#msg57698). But if CodePress is actually light, fast and really promising the current version is really buggy with IE, moreover it lack multi-lingual support, search & replace, bracket-matching, line-highlighting...
            Ackwa - Web Design & Development agency | Tours - France | Follow me on Twitter...
          • Quote from: pixelchutes at Nov 22, 2006, 12:08 AM

Would you mind clarifying/illustrating how the new Cookie feature works? I couldn’t seem to notice any difference?
            At this stage a cookie is created by the EAonChange() handler i.e. when changes are detected and submitted. So your position is saved if you edit AND MODIFY your code. That’s not satisfying and I plan to change this Cookies management in a future release...
              Ackwa - Web Design & Development agency | Tours - France | Follow me on Twitter...
            • We have dropped our BETA status!

[*] New version of EditArea (Stable MODx Rev. and SVN compatibility tested!)
              [*] Updated initialization settings
              [*] Release Candidate 1
              [*] Revised and centralized step by step install instructions

It was fun, Development board. Check out the new thread

Grab it as a MODx Resource: [Plugin] EditArea 0.2 RC1

Thread will resume in new location on Resource Items board http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,10689.0.html
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 4,213 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Jan 07, 2007, 11:09 AM

Should be a module, MODx is trying to reduce its core overhead as it is.
                  Umm.. why? What’s different in optional plugin or optional module for core point of view? And I don’t see this being a module as a good thing.. You mean that do a module that has the exactly same tabs and functionality that "manage resources" section in manager has, but just the textarea has this syntax highlighter too.. I’m sorry but I just don’t get that at all.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                  • Quote from: sottwell at Jan 07, 2007, 11:09 AM

Should be a module, MODx is trying to reduce its core overhead as it is.

Hmm...I think I’m in the same boat. Possibly it’s my knowledge (or lack there of) of Modules that prevents me from understanding benefits of such an approach. How would making this a module still allow the same functionality, but reduce overhead? Is it that Modules are only ran in Manager-mode, and it therefore takes one plugin out of the equation of possible other plugins that run outside of the manager? (phew!)
                      Very nice plugin is EditArea that I just installed.

But for some mysterious reason, it looks blurred on my screen.
                      The text that I type in this editor appears with a light grey shadow on its right.
                      Like if I was drunk, and I’m not !
                      Or like a picture which would be bad resized.

Do I have to set some width/height for the EditArea plugin ?

Thanks for your help.