We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 577 Posts
    Ok, picking up from another thread.

Who are the end users?

I'm going to start off the volley with: small to middle size sites

I mention sites since I see MODx as more of framework than a more traditional *nuke.

Please let loose on your comments.
      Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • 56 Posts
      Good initiative, but remember a site itself is not a user. A "user" could be someone interested in developing small to medium size database driven sites. Or creative souls that have a keen eye for site design, whatever.
      • Target now:
        Technically savvy developers and designers who know what PHP is, and who at the minimum have at least attempted to hack some PHP code (which is very different from creating it from scratch in the first place). This could be bloggers, web designers, corporate developers, and even small business owners. These are early-adopter types.

I don't think we're remotely ready for the general masses. But for those looking for a solid CMS platform that doesn't force you into any particular way of thinking, MODx will be a great choice.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 1 Posts
          Target now:
          I don't think we're remotely ready for the general masses. But for those looking for a solid CMS platform that doesn't force you into any particular way of thinking, MODx will be a great choice.

Definitely agreed there. But is that where we want to be or do we want to stay with the programmers?

I see pros/cons both ways.
          • Initially, it'll have to be the programmers. As we continue to put "wizard-like" interfaces between the coding aspects and the end-user, we'll gradually become a more appropriate choice for a broader market. But then again, staying focused on a single, specific user-base might be the best course of action.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • Initially, it'll have to be the programmers. As we continue to put "wizard-like" interfaces between the coding aspects and the end-user, we'll gradually become a more appropriate choice for a broader market. But then again, staying focused on a single, specific user-base might be the best course of action.

Yeah, maybe keep the core free and targeted at programmers, and build an easy way for others to create wizards/plugins that can be either released GPL or commercially. That would be a decent free software-based business model. Just a thought on the staying focused topic.
                • 577 Posts
                I see 2 groups actually.

1.) the one being discussed already. The programmers who we'll be picking up as things start to get going. Imagine all of those projects out there that really could be added in.

2.) the folks who are dangerous enough to install this on their own. These folks are by far the majority that we'll deal with here.

A 3rd group would be folks that people here will most likely deal with on a business level so not much to worry about as in general support.

The idea of splitting the site forums into 2 boards might be a good idea. I have never seen this done or maybe it has but never have noticed.

You could split the boards by permissions but then ... some folks are going to wonder about names and post counts and miscellanous bs like that.

I mention this idea since the 2 areas will be better focused.
                  Tangent-Warrior smiley
                  • 109 Posts
                  I'm wary of targetting "programmers", mainly because I'm not one, and I'm probably a good target smiley

I agree with the broader:
                  Technically savvy developers and designers who know what PHP is, and who at the minimum have at least attempted to hack some PHP code (which is very different from creating it from scratch in the first place). This could be bloggers, web designers, corporate developers, and even small business owners. These are early-adopter types.

I'd like us to keep UI at the top of priorties. Even if we are targetting tech users, the more we move to graphic user interface, the more power we can put in the hands of the ultimate end-users. GUI for the Snippet params is just the beginning.

So I'd like the target market to be:
                  1. Web developers with some technical experience to install/design/configure.
                  2. End-users who won't do the install/design/config - BUT need easy GUI for limited configuration.

The forums and detailed documentation should be aimed at group 1. User guides, manuals and Flash/MOV tutorials for group 2.

Regards

Rich
                    • 3,975 Posts
                    I am 100% agreed with ricardosanX,

and thanks for valuable suggestions,

Regards,

zi
                      Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                      • 577 Posts
                      Nice comments.

Do I hear 3 groups?

With the focus on the 2 that Rich suggested.
                      And a secondary focus on the more techy side.

I realize that it's hard to cover 3 areas especially since they're at extemes.

One worry I have about the cpanel install user group is that we might taken lightly by the techy group.

This is sort of what I was trying to get at last night when I wrote my post. If you split the forums either physically or by user type we might be able to appeal to all 3 in some form or another.
                        Tangent-Warrior smiley

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.