We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I'm still going to target all initial focus towards very technically inclined end users. That doesn't necessarily mean programmers, but it does mean those that can try and are willing to try to figure out where something breaks down for when it inevitably does. Other less troubleshooting-proficient users will fall into line in due course. smiley

And that doesn't mean at some arbitrary point in the distant future. It's more dependent on have a dead-easy installer and auto-patching system put together, which means probably somewhere between 3-6 months from now.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 56 Posts
      rthrash, I think that this approach is preferred as you otherwise would not be able to develop a more "dummy" friendly version in due course. It also helps managing expectations when made clear to the initial user-group. It would be handy if you'd roll out a development map with increased user-base and targetting as to help people decide on adopting the system when they are able to benefit from it.

I think that indeed emphasis at this stage should be on development and thus on users not afraid to make mistakes. However, for the product to get wider adoption a development path would help.
      • rthrash, I think that this approach is preferred as you otherwise would not be able to develop a more "dummy" friendly version in due course. It also helps managing expectations when made clear to the initial user-group. It would be handy if you'd roll out a development map with increased user-base and targetting as to help people decide on adopting the system when they are able to benefit from it.

I think that indeed emphasis at this stage should be on development and thus on users not afraid to make mistakes. However, for the product to get wider adoption a development path would help.

Rest assured that we are building a roadmap and will publicize it once we have common agreement on exactly where MODx is moving technically. I don't think many will be disappointed in the exciting things we already have in mind for the project and these ideas will only mature once we extend these visions to this community.
        • Ditto what Jason just said! wink
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 155 Posts
            After conducting a rigorous investigation of content management systems here at work, I have come to the conclusion that aiming yet another content manager at tech saavy people will spell almost certain casting into a pit of similar contenders. There are hundreds if not thousands of CMSs that claim to be saavy for people on the cutting edge of technology.

The aim of a MODx (IMO) is the blogger that needs something more. If you can Blog, and you can use Windows Explorer, you can use MODx in its current incantation. At this point, there is nothing in the "Lite" category of opensourcecms that even comes close to the functionality.

MODx - When Bloggers want to go to the next level.
            • That’s a great insight John, and very appropros to the discussion here http://superfluousbanter.org/archives/2005/06/designer_cms_on.php#more .

Can you share more of your findings from work. I think your description actually describes better what my initial vision of tech-savy designers/developers, as the "influencers" I so want to chase all fit exactly what you describe.

Great insight!
                • 577 Posts
                ohhhh oh,

So this the direction that we are heading?

:)
                  Tangent-Warrior smiley
                  • 7,075 Posts
                  Waoooww, I’ve been hit grin !

Right on target there Ryan, I am definitely part of this category...

Quote from: rthrash at Apr 02, 2005, 07:55 PM

Target now:
                  Technically savvy developers and designers who know what PHP is, and who at the minimum have at least attempted to hack some PHP code (which is very different from creating it from scratch in the first place). This could be bloggers, web designers, corporate developers, and even small business owners. These are early-adopter types.

I don’t think we’re remotely ready for the general masses. But for those looking for a solid CMS platform that doesn’t force you into any particular way of thinking, MODx will be a great choice.

A few reaction (very late, yeah...)

@SpeedStreet : I totally disagree with what you’re saying, limiting MODx to blogging is not the way to go. Most CMS confine you to a specific model : a portal, a blog, a news publishing system... whatever. What I am looking for, and why I am here, is to find a tool which allows me to create a website that fits my clients (or my) needs for a given project. Not the other way around !

@Carsten : well, the supefluous banter article had Ruby On Rails in Mind, thus how could it be the way we are heading tongue ? Unless you rebuild MODx on Rails, but I don’t think this can be done easily !
                    .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                  • Well, accoring to the Rails guys it would take about 23 minutes and 45 lines of code, right? tongue
                      • 7,075 Posts
                      Don’t know, I am no coder but I’ve been planning to learn a language and hesitating between php and ruby... I love those 37signals apps, and the few examples out there are pretty nice smiley
                        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.