We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 37 Posts
    But has it been released for Modx 1.0.6 or is that still not released?
    • No, it hasn't been incorporated into the official MODx branch.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 11 Posts
        EVO 3D has twice as much RAM and 4 times as much Memory as the EVO. EVO 3D has a 1.2Ghz DUAL-core processor, compared to the original EVO's 1Ghz SINGLE core. 3D will have Android 2.3 (gingerbread) and HTC Sense version 3.0, a larger battery. A much better GPU. A glasses free 3D qHD screen just to name a few
          • 1 Posts
          Hello, I'm just new with Modx, not sure the difference between Evo and Revo. Don't know what to do. Also I saw a tutorial about how to download Modx, but its looks different, I didn;t find the Try Out button and also in the video appears some kind of paying methods and I dont find that also... someone can help, this is getting al confusing for me, thanks.
            • 953 Posts
            @ ehrling

Download:
            Evolution
            Revolution

Difference:
            Evolution is the first generation system created by MODX
            Revolution - second generation

According to MODX LLC, both Evolution and Revolution will be superseded by "MODX 3" - which hasn't been released / built yet.

Paying methods:
            Didn't realise there were any
            • Quote from: ehrling at Nov 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
              Hello, I'm just new with Modx, not sure the difference between Evo and Revo. Don't know what to do. Also I saw a tutorial about how to download Modx, but its looks different, I didn;t find the Try Out button and also in the video appears some kind of paying methods and I dont find that also... someone can help, this is getting al confusing for me, thanks.

Revolution is the version of MODX that is actively being led and developed by the MODX team. It is where our attention for innovation and building projects lies. Evolution is the software that started it all and is seeing bug fixes and new features but is exclusively managed by a small team of community developers. Evo is widely used in Russia and Japan but less so in western countries.

I'd recommend starting out with Revolution. The basic principles are the same in both but the codebase of Evo is nearly 10 years old and future releases of MODX will be more similar to Revolution, though the lightness and speed of the Evo manager will be something we strive for in all future releases.

The best videos to look at for getting started are located here: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/getting-started/video-quick-start-series/

You can try MODX Revolution for free at MODX Cloud, which does offer a paid service, however the lab accounts are always free and do not require a credit card or payment to use. The advantage here is you can have your own instance of MODX without needing to set up hosting either on your local machine or at a paid web host.
                Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                • 437 Posts
                distant_smile Reply #177, 10 years ago
                Hey all sorry to tag onto this but have a small Evo Vs Revo issue. I currently use Evo 1.0.4 and have around 700+ pages to my site, with many more to be added. At the moment it runs great with no real issues. I will be looking to add a blog and a few other things soon too. I am just wondering whether it is worth me upgrading to Revo, whether there will be any noticeable benefits.

I know that Evo used to have an issue with how many pages it could handle, which seems to have been fixed although I don't know in which edition? and I appear to have a slight caching issue with my Freefind search, which another member mentioned Revo may handle better.

I have built the site myself and have quite good knowledge of HTML but I find the switch a little daunting and would only want to do it if there were any real benefits in doing so.

I would appreciate any comments on this?

Regards,

DS
                  www.PawsForWildlife.co.uk
                  www.Borntobrick.co.uk