We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Or you can join with all testers, hunt down the bug, and debug.

Quote from: rthrash at Nov 11, 2009, 11:05 PM

If you’re a true geek that loves toying with the latest gee whiz technology and sinking your teeth into custom code (or an add-on developer), start with Revo.
      Rico
      Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
      MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
    • Quote from: TomMLS at Jan 18, 2010, 03:53 PM

Q1: Has a general release date/timeframe been announced??
      Several times, though not accurately. Never-the-less, we are currently aiming to get a GA release out by late 1Q or early 2Q 2010.

Quote from: TomMLS at Jan 18, 2010, 03:53 PM

Q2: How easy will it be to upgrade from Evo to Revo??
      It certainly will not be as easy as upgrading between versions of Evo, as a lot has changed and some components and techniques will simply not be valid. As of now, I expect that on a typical Evo site, about 2/3 of the upgrade to Revo will be automated and the other 1/3 will require some re-evaluation and possible refactoring of component code or templates. This refactoring will be made easier through the publishing of migration guides that should help you identify and fix some common things that worked fine in Evo, but won’t in Revo.
        • 5 Posts
        i think it comes down to a basic choice between anagrams:

modx revolution = Minx! Love rod out!

modx evolution = O! Mud vixen tool!

• 4 Posts
          I have a similar question as I’m new to MODx. A primary design goal for the site I’m developing is to have some kind of front-end editing capability for users and contributors who won’t have much technical knowledge. Looking around the forums it appears to me that Evo has that functionality built in (QuickEdit perhaps?) while Revo does not. Are these inferences correct?

I already started doing some design work using Revo but will need to rethink that decision if it’s likely to be a while before front-end editing will be available. If I then decide to use Evo instead, will I need to completely uninstall Revo?

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions before I invest more time in a dead-end project. Regards,

Rob.................
          • Your front end design work shouldn’t matter whether it’s Evo or Revo. That said if "front-end" editing is a requirement there are multiple solutions for Evo and none available yet—or in the works that I’m aware of—for Revo.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 4 Posts
              Quote from: rthrash at Feb 15, 2010, 06:30 PM

Your front end design work shouldn’t matter whether it’s Evo or Revo. That said if "front-end" editing is a requirement there are multiple solutions for Evo and none available yet—or in the works that I’m aware of—for Revo.

Thanks for your response. I’m confused, though. Your first statement seems to contradict your second statement. Obviously, I’m missing something (or misreading). Could you clarify?
                • 4,149 Posts
                Quote from: largo84 at Feb 15, 2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks for your response. I’m confused, though. Your first statement seems to contradict your second statement. Obviously, I’m missing something (or misreading). Could you clarify?

Front-End editing ability != front-end design. You cant do editing via the front-end in Revo, since there is no QuickManager+ port or something similar yet.

However, that wont hamper your ability to design the front-end via the manager UI in the backend.
                  shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                  • 4 Posts
                  Quote from: splittingred at Feb 15, 2010, 06:50 PM

Quote from: largo84 at Feb 15, 2010, 06:43 PM

Front-End editing ability != front-end design. You cant do editing via the front-end in Revo, since there is no QuickManager+ port or something similar yet.

However, that wont hamper your ability to design the front-end via the manager UI in the backend.

Thanks for the clarification! And yes, that is an immediate requirement so I guess I’ll be uninstalling Revo and working with Evo for now. Thankfully, i don’t have much built yet, mostly just experimenting with concepts.
                    • 11 Posts
                    thanks for your review. I need it now, so I’ll use Evo and wait until Revo’s stable version appears.
                      CMS-informer.com - PHP Content management Systems Blog and News.
                      Articles, Information, Documentation, Blogs
                      • 236 Posts
                      I’ve started checking out Revo over the last few days, setting up a basic site structure. It’s looking good to me so I might roll with it.

A couple of things that have tripped me up:
                      The initial config errors: Very simple solution, they disappear once you create a resource. I was looking for something far more complicated.
                      Can’t find something? try right-clicking. I took me a bit of time to find where to create new chunks and snippets and so on.

System settings is a bit daunting at first but you’ll soon get to grips with it.

I’m liking it so far.