We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    I’ve found some earlier posts from more than a year ago asking this question, but a lot can change in a year. No comments about my gray hairs please. If you were just getting started with modx now, would you jump into Revolution or stick with Evolution? I’d be perfectly happy if I didn’t have the choice, but I do, so I may as well try to make the best decision I can. I expect Evolution can do everything I need right now, but there are some intriguing things in Revolution. And the latest version of anything is always tempting. I’m pretty proficient in php, mysql, html, and css so I’m not worried about jumping in, but does the availability (or lack) of tutorials, add ons, extensions, etc, steer you more in one direction or another? So what would you advise? Thanks.
    • Stick with Evo. Revo is not out of beta yet, and the basics still apply to both systems, not to mention the majority of third party components / add-ons are typically for Evo.

If you’re a true geek that loves toying with the latest gee whiz technology and sinking your teeth into custom code (or an add-on developer), start with Revo.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 236 Posts
        I’ve been wondering the same thing, I went for Evo and have been using it for around 6 months. I didn’t think using a beta was a good idea for live sites. It seems Revo is well on the way now, final beta? So sometime soon I’m going to start having a play with it so I’m up to speed when it comes out of beta.

That’s my thinking anyhow smiley
          • 4 Posts
          Thanks for the counsel. I was leaning toward getting well versed in Evolution at this point because of all the support currently out there, but it still helped to hear someone say that. I guess after all the time it took to decide on modx, I didn’t want to have to deal with one more decision. I’m spending the weekend working with it and having a ball. I’m sure I’ll be back to the forums for assistance along the way and perhaps someday I can help someone else.
            • 37 Posts
            Hi,

This is my very first post on this forum. I started today to have look on modx evolution and I found a nice tutorial about modx 0.9.6 : http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/working-with-a-content-management-framework-modx/

But I also have read that the revolution version will be out on winter 2009/2010. Is that true? I am not on fire to start with a new project on modx and want to know if it is better to wait on the revolution version! Anyone knows when revolution will be out? Is it about 2 or 3 months?

Thanks
            • If you are playing around with MODx and not using it on client sites yet learn both. Evolution has all the parts but revo takes them further and lets go of the legacy cruft.
                Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
              • Evolution has all the parts but revo takes them further and lets go of the legacy cruf

Do you reckon you guys will ever remove some of the legacy cruft from Evo in future patches? - I find one of the most bizarre things is the Enable Stats Tracking checkbox for each document; it does nothing and nobody’s every developed anything really good for it.

What other things would you regard as Evo cruft? smiley
                  MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
                  • 4,205 Posts
                  Do you reckon you guys will ever remove some of the legacy cruft from Evo in future patches? - I find one of the most bizarre things is the Enable Stats Tracking checkbox for each document; it does nothing and nobody’s every developed anything really good for it.
                  The Google Analytics plugin uses this option, only pages that are enabled will be tracked. There are a few other stats add-ons that take advantage of it.

Also, it is a nice trigger that together with ManaerManager can be used for any other event that needs a trigger. I once used it to set if a document uses a sidebar or not. It is part of the default data set, so it is more efficient than a TV (which needs more JOINs to access the data).

tongue
                    [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
                    Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                  • Also, it is a nice trigger that together with ManaerManager can be used for any other event that needs a trigger. I once used it to set if a document uses a sidebar or not. It is part of the default data set, so it is more efficient than a TV (which needs more JOINs to access the data).

Wow, that’s an awesome idea - I’ve just tired that sidebar idea out and it worked a charm - usually I do that with a TV and PHx, but this is much more efficient! smiley
                      MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
                      • 2 Posts
                      think the same as rthrash - revo isn´t stable at this moment, so i use evo right til revo is stable...
                        lots of informations about Tagesgeldkonto and Tagesgeldkonten