We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 87 Posts
    Can anyone recommend a decent hosted e-commerce solution that offers total customisation so I can either integrate it with a modx site or wrap the code in a similar template?
    • Look at foxycart.com
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 87 Posts
        Many thanks Ryan; looks good at a glance, will check it out properly later today.
          • 87 Posts
          It looks very useful and will probably be great news for MODx developers. I await backend access with bated breathe! wink
            • 160 Posts
            Wow, looks great!

Something is suspicious... there’s a banner at the bottom of that page... tells me something
              Olivier Deland
              Montreal, Canada - Web Developer
            • Now that’s very nice of Brett! He’s the guy behind Foxycart and one of our community members. Looks very cool from the demos I’ve seen ... incredibly well done in fact. smiley
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 87 Posts
                Does anyone have any inklings of a release date yet?
                  • 361 Posts
                  Haha, well, we were planning on posting to the forums this weekend after we had a chance to clean up our docs a little, but we were beat to it. Here’s the (long) post I was preparing:

FoxyCart: Ecommerce by MODx lovers, for MODx lovers.

Hello all.
                  Wondering if anybody in need of ecommerce for MODx would like to beta test our new ecommerce creation: FoxyCart.com. More than anything it’s an *ecommerce backend* that could be used to great effect with MODx. It was born out of a desire to add ecommerce to our clients’ sites without abandoning MODx.

While there are obviously other options for adding ecommerce to MODx, my hope is that this would be of use for more people than just me wink If you’re at all interested, please sign up for a beta here. We’ll probably be inviting people within the next couple of days.

Some of the cooler features:

• Almost no duplication of data required at all. Conceptually, it fits perfectly with MODx.
                  • Automatic shipping rate calculations (USPS only right now, UPS and FedEx coming soon).
                  • Full JSON cart object, so you can pretty much do whatever you want with the display.
                  • Downloadable products, easier for the customer than most other systems we’ve seen.
                  • Pretty radically redesigned checkout process (one page checkout + LOGIN; never been done before as far as we can tell).
                  • Templating in true MODx style. Just add ^^cart^^ or ^^checkout^^ to your templates.
                  • FoxyCart pulls your template in and caches it on our server, so you don’t even need an SSL cert. I’m most excited about this one. Give FoxyCart a URL and it’ll pull in your template, cache all your images, and make the whole thing secure. It’s your website... no template language, no crazy hacking, just your code. Just like MODx wink
                  • XML Data Feed: Send encrypted XML to a URI of your choice after every transaction. Paired with recurring billing, this allows some pretty awesome stuff, like potentially adding customers to MODx or phpList. We’re also very close to adding subscription products, which would allow you to do subscription-based access to a forum or MODx site or anything else.

Some notes:

• Hosted solution. Obviously this isn’t going to work for everybody, but it’s really ridiculously flexible. Also, one of the things I hated about doing ecommerce sites was always worrying about critical security patches long after the project was over.
                  • The XML Data Feeds are really cool. I’ve already created a very basic inventory snippet, but the possibilities are really endless.
                  • We’ll be working on additional MODx integration soon, like a module so you can manage your FoxyCart information from within the MODx manager.

As far as opening it up for access, we’re looking at this weekend. Just need to clean up our docs.
                    Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
                    • 54 Posts
                    ahh... I feel like a father who’s little baby is about to go off to their first day of school.

*sniff, sniff*

We’ve been working on this behind the scenes for... dang, a year and a half now? There’s a lot more we’ll be doing, but it’s also a pretty cool system in its current form.

Thanks for the kind words, Ryan. Brett and I both really respect your opinion and we love that MODx users get the first crack at this. The next couple months (as with any beta testing) will be interesting... but I’m looking forward to the ride.
                    • Wow...very cool! Nicely done.

I will be very interested to see what other basic cart options are available!

e.g. Discount coupons, bundle packages, product option/variants, etc.

Provided a few of the most common items are available, this will be very promising!

At first I didn’t fully understand the template capabilities, however I am pretty sure I grasp the concept. Initially, it wasn’t as clear since the cart is from FoxyCart.com and the template looked like FoxyCart...but the placeholders make sense.

So EVERYTHING is the same, as if on your site directly, only the images aren’t served from your site? Internal links, etc all work as well?

It all makes sense! Does it incorporate well with Authorize.net and more common gateways, too smiley ...getting really anxious now...

Update:

How does/will foxycart plan to handle form hacking where Pricing information is determined client side? Maybe I don’t follow, but this used to be a big issue with PayPal stores prior to offering encrypted form values...

<form class="foxycart">
                      <input type="hidden" name="name" value="A great product" />
                      <input type="hidden" name="price" value="5.00" />
                      </form>

Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
                        MODx Ambassador / Contributor
                        [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart