We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    I have just inherited a ModX Evo 1.0.3 site. The site was moved, including the database, and was renamed all of which was successful. I have been able to do the editing the client wishes but now I can no longer see the editing pages. Sometimes if I upload the /assets/cache/siteCache.idx.php the editing page will show up but as soon as I save, it disappears again. I have looked on the forum and have not found an answer that works. I am a newbie with ModX but not with PHP or databases. Thanks for any help.

This question has been answered by iusemodx. See the first response.

• 953 Posts
      Standard questions first:

• Have you updated the config.inc.php with the new data - database name etc. ?
      • Have you cleared site (login -> Site tab -> Clear Cache) and browser cache ?
      • Have you made modifications to the .htaccess file in the root ?
      • Are you using FURLs' (Friendly URLs) ?
      • Are you working online or local and then re-uploading the database ?
      • Are you getting any errors either front-end or in the manager logs ?
      • What version of PHP is on the server ?

The siteCache.idx.php is generated via the manager - you can in theory delete both the:

• sitePublishing.idx.php
      • siteCache.idx.php

The next time you log back into the system they will be generated again.

Have you tried updating the site yet ?

1.0.3 is donkeys old and should be updated to the latest version for obvious reasons [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 8 years, 9 months ago.]
        • 6 Posts
        Hi - I do not see my last reply in the thread so I will do it again!

• config file updated
        • Cleared both site and browser cache
        • there is a file in the site named ht.access - I will attach it here - I was wondering if it was incorrectly named. PLEASE NOTE, this ModX site is no longer in the root but in a directory.
        • Not using friendly URLs (and not sure why!)
        • Working online www.nrtawave.com/maps
        • Under Elements > Manage Files there is an error, I am attaching a screen shot
        • PHP version is 5.3
        • Have not tried updating the site yet - concerned about making a leap of that many versions. Should the update be done in increments?
        Please see the htaccess.txt (renamed so I could attach) and screen shot attachments [ed. note: nantucket6 last edited this post 8 years, 9 months ago.]
          • 6 Posts
          Hi Again - I am seeing that the 'base-path' needs to change to reflect the directory move to /maps/ but I cannot see in the Manager where I can do this. I have looked in the database and it looks like it may be in the system_settings table but I hesitate to make a change without fully understanding the system.

Thanks for your help.
            • 953 Posts
            Before any changes: do a DB dump just to ensure you can revert changes, same goes for a copy of the files on the server

For FURLs:

rename ht.access in the root to ".htaccess", change "RewriteBase /" to your folder = "RewriteBase /maps"

Login > Tools > Configuration > Friendly URLs : Yes

Reset system settings:

Login > Tools > Configuration > File Browser > File Base Path - Press Reset

Login > Tools > Configuration > File Manager > File Manager Path - Press Reset

Save

If you intend using FURLs you will have to add the base href tag to your template(s) head tag

The default place for templates is: Login > Elements > Manage Elements > Templates

Example of a very basic template with base href:
            <!DOCTYPE HTML>
            <html>
            <head>
            <title>[(site_name)] | [*pagetitle*]</title>
            <meta charset="[(modx_charset)]">
            <base href="[(site_url)]">
            </head>
            <body>
            [*content*]
            </body>
            </html>

You can also take a look here for a bit more info ref: base href options.

You should be able to do an upgrade without problems - others have upgraded from 0.9.6x versions to 1.0.15 without problems - if problems arise, its more than likely to do with custom snippets / modules or plugins - the default packages should update OK. [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 8 years, 8 months ago.]
            • ht.access is an example file for you to use for FURLs. It's not incorrectly named. You'll want to put the contents of the ht.access file into a new file and name it .htaccess.

To expand a bit on iusemodx's post above (all good stuff, do all of it), if your site is in a subfolder you will need to add that to the rewrite base in .htaccess if you are using FURLs.

RewriteEngine On
              RewriteBase /subfolderName/

Additionally, once you moved the site and database, did you reinstall/update/run setup with a new copy of 1.0.3? This alone could be much of the problem actually. You can download a new 1.0.3 at modx.com, look for prior versions.

If you're re-running setup, you may as well update soon thereafter. But to be safe, once you get it running with a reinstall of 1.0.3, do take a backup before updgrading.
                Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                • 6 Posts
                Thanks to both for replies. I have followed the instructions from iusemodx but I still cannot see pages in order to edit. I used to be able to edit sporadically. That's what I'm finding hard to understand.

RE: Frogabog, I did not run setup. I simply uploaded all the files from the original site. I have looked at the modx documentation and can find instructions for install and upgrade but not reinstall. Should I follow the instructions for upgrade to reinstall the version I have? Any dangers of losing my pages? I have done backups.

Also, if I go to Site > Recent Resources and hover over one of the links, the path is correct, but when I click on Edit, I get nothing.

Thanks to you both.
                  • 953 Posts
                  Use upgrade mode, even though it's the same package / version

Just out of interest - when you uploaded the original files, did you upload the files "one by one" or did you zip the whole lot, upload the zip and then unzipped on the server ?

Do you have a local server - Wamp, Mamp etc. if yes, have you tried installing on your localhost ? if yes, does it work there ?

Always make backups of files and the database before you do any major updates. Always better to have a backup if it all goes wrong.
                    • 6 Posts
                    Will try reinstalling tomorrow.

I did not zip the files but did a direct download from the old site, upload to new. I do not have a local server for testing.

Will definitely make backups.

Should I just bite the bullet and do an upgrade rather than reinstall?

M
                    • discuss.answer
                      • 953 Posts
                      You may well have had a transfer error via FTP

Before you go any further - zip all the original files => upload the zip => unzip on the server

Once you've got the files in place => modify the .htaccess (for subfolder) + config.inc.php (DB connection)

Then login and test it.

If it still doesn't work, try an update, although I can't imagine that would work, but who knows

I have never experienced something like this in 9 years of use - I work localy and upload the DB at regular intervals with all the new stuff - I have domains in root and, subdomains and subfolders and they all work

I've moved sites completely without problems multiple times via:

• Zip full server or folder via cpanel or interface
                      • Download zip file
                      • Upload to new server via FTP or interface
                      • Unpack via cpanel or interface or via php unzip command
                      • Add new database
                      • Set server file paths where required
                      • Change .htaccess and config.inc accordingly
                      • Login - reset manager file paths + clear cache (although clear cache is completed when path changes are saved)
                      • Finished - front and back-end work
                      [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 8 years, 8 months ago.]