We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hello. I'm new to MODX and learning as I go. I am in the process of moving a MODX Evo 1.0.6 site from a locally hosted server, to a subfolder in a Godaddy hosting account. I uploaded the site files, created the Godaddy database, imported the database, updated the database username, PW, hostname, and site sessionname. The Home page is coming up okay on the Goddady server, but clicking on any of the other menu items changes the URL, but the page content does not change, and the Home menu item stays highlighted. I didn't clear the cache before moving the site, but did so after the site was moved from within Manager. After many hours of research, I uploaded the installation files for MODX Evo 1.0.6 and did an upgrade installation. The config.inc.php file seems to be okay. Also, the site is still live on the old locally hosted server and when doing an A-B comparison, all of the element settings appear to be the same. It seems like everything is there and maybe I just need to update a couple settings, but I am not sure where to start. I'm also not sure if it is an issue related to being in a subfolder instead of the root directory.

The base path appears to be okay as the physical path on the webserver. The base URL is /, not sure if that should be /subfolder/.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry
      • 953 Posts
      Base href tag in the HTML source e.g.
      <head>
      <base href="[(site_url)]">
      </head>

OR
      <head>
      <base href="[(base_url)]">
      </head>

If you have installed the site in a folder you may need to modify the .htaccess file as such e.g.
      RewriteEngine On
      RewriteBase /

To:
      RewriteEngine On
      RewriteBase /yourfoldername
        • 953 Posts
        You will also have to reset the configuration in the manager:

Tools => Configuration => File Manager

Reset the File Manager Path

Tools => Configuration => Interface & Features

Reset the File base path
          • 3 Posts
          Thank you for the replies. The Base href tag in the template is <base href="[(site_url)]"></base>

The current live site is not using a .htaccess file, do I need to use one now that the site is in a folder?

I did hit reset on the the File Manager Path and the File base path, but they did not change. They appear to be correct, showing the physical path on the server.

Should the File Browser URL in Tools=> Configuration=> Interface & Features be /assets/ or /subfolder/assets ? I've tried both, but I'm just wondering what the correct setting should be, so that will be correct when I get everything else correctly configured.

Thanks again for your help.
            • 953 Posts
            It would be easier if you could post the URL of the website - if you don't want to, simply send me a PM with the URL.

If you are using something like: "domain.com/modx/" whereby you have the complete modx setup in the folder, you have to use a .htaccess file.

If you are using FURLs - you need to have a .htaccess file etc.

Just for info:
            <base href="[(site_url)]"></base>

should be:
            <base href="[(site_url)]">

or XHTML
            <base href="[(site_url)]" />

If you have installed into a subfolder then yes, your resource path(s) should start with "foldername/assets"
              • 384 Posts
              Is your homepage also your 404 page?
                • 953 Posts
                Quote from: eladnova at Dec 18, 2013, 10:14 AM
                Is your homepage also your 404 page?

The response the pages give is "200", the links when clicked don't give a 404 out

The URL in the address bar is what is expected e.g. "domain.com/contact or domain.com/about" etc.., but the content doesn't change, it always shows the homepage content.
                  • 3 Posts
                  Many thanks to iusemodx, who pointed out that it was a problem with FURLs and needing a .htaccess file for the FURLs. I turned off FURLs and the site navigation is now working. Now I just need to get the .htaccess file configured correctly so I can turn FURLs back on.

Thanks for the reply eladnova.