We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • In the database table system_settings find compress_css and compress_js. Set both of those to 0 if they are not already.

In the control panel file manager, find the core/cache folder. Delete all the files within.

It's possible that just the above will fix the manager. If not however, I would suggest running a reinstall of MODX. Fetch a copy of the version your site is using from http://modx.com, upload the modx.zip file to your site and using the control panel's file manager's extract utility, extract the files into a new folder (cPanel is right click-> extract, other hosts may have another method but this should always be done through the file manager on the server itself or via CLI).

Copy/merge all the files into the root installation of MODX. This will give you a new setup folder in which you can then re-run setup using the update option.

Better info here: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx
      Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
      "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
      Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • 184 Posts
      Thanks.
      Well, tried the phpMyAdmin key changes and clear the core/cache directory.

So backed up the site might try the MODX reinstall.
      Sounds scary, I hope the instructions aren't missing any steps, as I haven't done it before.
      Not quite clear where to upload a new downloaded MODX.zip file to, on the website directories?
      You mean the Webhost's Control Panel to extract the MODX.zip file?
      So, unzip MODX.zip to some directory on the website, then copy/merge the Website's files into the root directory of MODX?
        • 184 Posts
        Ok, so I read http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx
        and it says not to use FTP like FileZilla, rather use a Control Panel file manager.
        I don't find a file manager?
        I'm looking in the Webhost details and I can change database passwords, but I don't see any upload options.
        There is a git option, however I don't have git setup on this particular website.
          • 184 Posts
          So, I'm wondering where I should upload modx-2.3.3-pl-sdk.zip to on the website.
          I have FTPed in via FileZilla and have access to the path website.com/public/www.
          I don't seem to have an option to unzip modx-2.3.3-pl-sdk.zip.

Am I doing something wrong?
            • 184 Posts
            ok, the unzipped modx-2.3.3-pl-sdk is now uploaded to ftp.website.com/public/www. I have now opened file ftp.website.com/public/www/modx-2.3.3-pl/setup/lang/en, but nothing happens to set it up?
              • 184 Posts
              Well, I have upgraded MODX.
              I found the instructions aren't clear for me.

Here's all that's needed:
              Download latest MODX > unzip > FTP into website > drag unzipped MODX contents to website/public/www.

So, now the upgrade shows the lower Dashboard screen now, but only Elements and Files. I need the Resources which previously showed the website pages for GUI editing, until I figure out CLI using git.
              • Your web host should have a file manager utility of some sort, where you can upload files. There may be a different utility for extracting files as well, although once you get into your file manager try right clicking. Extract could be one of the options (it is in cPanel). It is correct that you do not want to use FTP to upload the extracted files, that often results in corrupted files so you will want to locate your host's file manager somehow. You may need to call your host for assistance.

Additionally, you don't want to use the SDK version of MODX for your website. Grab instead the Traditional .zip file.

To run setup once you've got the files extracted and copied/merged, open your browser to http://yoursite.com/setup and follow the instructions. Ignore the file that you opened in ftp, that won't do anything for you (ftp.website.com/public/www/modx-2.3.3-pl/setup/lang/en)

The documentation for updating MODX is correct, follow it and this should go nice and smooth.
                  "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                • Quote from: eiger3970 at Feb 08, 2015, 09:48 AM
                  Well, I have upgraded MODX.
                  I found the instructions aren't clear for me.

Here's all that's needed:
                  Download latest MODX > unzip > FTP into website > drag unzipped MODX contents to website/public/www.

So, now the upgrade shows the lower Dashboard screen now, but only Elements and Files. I need the Resources which previously showed the website pages for GUI editing, until I figure out CLI using git.

Yep, it can be done and sometimes works just fine but beware, this method causes more problems than not and that's why it's not recommended. You may run into issues later requiring another reinstall without FTP.

It sounds like you haven't uploaded the database files for your site. That's where your resources/pages live. Do you have a "Resources" tab next to the Elements and Files tab? If that's missing then you've got a problem. Have you uploaded the site files yet? You likely need all of those as well.
                    • 184 Posts
                    Thanks.
                    The domain.com/setup helped.
                    I completed the setup and the MODX Dashboard seems to be working again.

The http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx
                    upgrade needs to be clearer with the steps I mentioned above.

I can't find the webhost's Control Panel.
                    I am familiar with cPanel from a long time ago, but this Webhost doesn't have cPanel.
                    I couldn't easily find a file manager, so stuck with the FTP.
                    I also can't SSH into the Webhost, as the Webhost doesn't allow SSH.
                    I'll try Git, once I update some pages, to get the website back under control.

P.S. Any tips on editing the MODX website locally, rather than live.
                    It scares me and shouldn't be edited live.
                    I'm used to Git, SSH and CLI, so it took a long time to figure out the MODX GUI navigation and bugs.

Ok, thanks for the tip domain.com/setup.
                    • Quote from: eiger3970 at Feb 08, 2015, 10:06 AM
                      Thanks.
                      The domain.com/setup helped.
                      I completed the setup and the MODX Dashboard seems to be working again.

The http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx
                      upgrade needs to be clearer with the steps I mentioned above.

The documentation was actually modified to specifically NOT recommend the steps you used. There is a very good reason for that as shown in the documentation and above in my previous reply.

Any host that doesn't offer a file manager is quite suspect. I would imagine there is one, but you'll have to ask them how to get to it.

I'll try Git, once I update some pages, to get the website back under control.

P.S. Any tips on editing the MODX website locally, rather than live.
                      It scares me and shouldn't be edited live.

You may find this to be of some use: https://github.com/modmore/Gitify

Depending on what you're editing, you can edit live in a few ways without affecting the site. Sometimes simply creating a hidden resource (duplicate resource, then hide from menus) is enough to work on it and keep the changes hidden till you're ready. Or, if you're simply worried about losing previous saves install VersionX. http://modx.com/extras/package/versionx

MODX makes it really easy to do things like create new chunks and tvs and test them before implementing. Nothing will show up unless you call it up on a public resource, and if you work with dev chunks, once you're ready to implement them just change the name of the old chunk or delete it, and rename the new dev chunk to the old chunk's name. All will fall into place.

If I'm really worried about edits (css for example), I've used the dummy/hidden page method and a new head chunk with the paths changed to a dev version of css. These are just a few simple ways to deal with simple site edits. Anything very complex (such as a big redesign) can be done with a subfolder/subdomain and a new/different named database. When the dev site is ready, then move the site to the root.