We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 377 Posts
    How to hide "hidden" folders in the FURL?

I have a folder/page called "Footer links", it is a page that does not appear in the menu but is used to contain all my footer links.

I have the following switched on;
    Use friendly aliases: Yes
    Use friendly alias path: Yes
    Allow duplicate aliases: Yes
    Automatically generate alias: Yes.

But the problem is that in the FURL, the phrase "Footer" is in the URL.

How do you prevent folders from being showing in the FURL?
    • Quote from: worchyld at Feb 06, 2008, 09:37 AM

How do you prevent folders from being showing in the FURL?

In site config, turn off "alias path"...
        Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
        MODx Ambassador / Contributor
        [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
        By switching "Use friendly alias path:" to "No" - it means I sacrifice "’/parent/child". I need parent child as sometimes there are duplicate info and the site will then get very confusing and have bad a SEO/FURL strategy.

I want to use parent/child and yet hide any "hidden" folders without sacrificing the parent/child given to you by friendly alias path.
        • Only solution now is don’t use "hidden" folders in the middle of your structure; which doesn’t really make sense to me anyway. Why aren’t your footer links in a chunk or TV?
            • 377 Posts
            The reason I am using a container/folder is because the user might want to add more pages to the footer.

Currently there are about 4 items in the footer - which includes 3 pages, and 1 hyperlink - so I thought the easiest way to resolve this would be to have a folder to hold all pages.

Footer  (Container/Folder/Parent)
            -> Home (Weblink)
            -> Accessibility (Page)
            -> Terms (Page)
            -> Privacy (Page)

But I guess I can also use a chunk to resolve this problem - but then does this mean that all pages are not added automatically and have to be manually put in every time a user adds a new page to the footer?

I’m not sure how I would use a template variable to resolve this. But if you could go into more depth onto how to use a TV to resolve footer menus, that’d be great!

Thanks!
            • NOTE: I moved this to it’s own thread...

Yeah, I can’t think of a simple solution for that, other than writing a snippet to include a bunch of chunks based on a naming convention or something. Or, like the Home page, have them add the files in the appropriate location in the site tree, then create a weblink in the Footer container? Or, a single TV could be edited that contains the various footer chunks. Or a chunk could contain the other chunks...
                • 377 Posts
                Thanks for moving it into its own folder.

Yeah, I can’t think of a simple solution for that, other than writing a snippet to include a bunch of chunks based on a naming convention or something. Or, like the Home page, have them add the files in the appropriate location in the site tree, then create a weblink in the Footer container? Or, a single TV could be edited that contains the various footer chunks. Or a chunk could contain the other chunks...

That seems a lot just to make it not show a certain "container" appear on FURLs.

There must be an easier way.

I was thinking of moving all footer links to another container/folder/parent and then in the chunk hardcode in the weblinks, but the problem in doing this is that none of the footer links make sense under any other folder/parent/container.

Another alternative is to not have any container/parent, and have all those pages on the root and switch off "show in menu", and perhaps have a template variable called "Show in Footer?"

This seems more logical, but in order to do this the Ditto Template or Wayfinder Template must do an "If" command to see if the TV is there, and it is a "Yes".

I’m going to try this, but would welcome any other solutions.
                  • 165 Posts
                  Hi worchyld

Here is how i would do it:
                  Create the Documents where they semantically belong. Imagine you would automatically create a Sitemap from your MODx Tree, where would you expect "Accessibility", "Terms" etc.?
                  Maybe the Root-Node is a good choice, if these documents don’t fit in any category.

As for the Footer Problem:
                  I’d create a hidden folder called "Footer" and place Weblinks to your real Documents in there. Then use wayfinder to create the Links (by using the Footer Folders id as startId)... they will point directly to your Documents in the root node, thus eliminating your FURL issue.
                  The advantage of this: You can place any Document from your tree inside the Footer, by just creating a weblink to it. Plus: you can give the Weblink another title (maybe a shorter version than you use in the navigation).
                  The only drawback compared to your implementation is that you’ll need to create a Document and a Weblink in order to place a new Item in the Footer.. but i think thats bearable.
                    • 377 Posts
                    I think the alternative solution of having weblinks inside a "folder" and the real documents elsewhere, perhaps on the root - as discussed by the earlier poster, is perhaps the quickest solution to this issue.

ganeshXL: I think you are over-complicating things with your current construction/setup.

I’m not sure how else to put allow the user to create footer links/pages, but I think some of the answers provided here give me enough to work with to resolve this problem.

I’m also looking at the idea of using a template variable checkbox so that I don’t have to create 2 references of the same document too.

If the way I’m doing it is over-complicated, and you have a far simpler solution I would take it on board.

Thanks.
                      • 377 Posts
                      I’ve tried out the idea of using a hidden folder to contain only weblinks to the actual pages - and this resolves the problem. Although you do have to enter the page twice, once as a link and once as the actual page; it does solve the problem.

I’ve decided to stick to this solution as it solved my issue/problem, but I still feel that there is a possibility of using a TV and integrating it in a Wayfinder or Ditto Template.