We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,205 Posts
    Just a thought: You could unpublish the container document and use Ditto to build the links since it can see through unpublished documents.

Will FURL show unpublished documents or see through them? Not sure...and I don’t have an active FURL environment to test this with.
      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
      • 17 Posts
      I mentioned this earlier in another context, but if you could get by with calling the footer container alias ".", then it would still work with FURL paths. However, for some reason, MODx can’t find files with the path index.php?q=/./footer1.html This would be useful for other issues as well.
        • 377 Posts

Just a thought: You could unpublish the container document and use Ditto to build the links since it can see through unpublished documents.

Will FURL show unpublished documents or see through them? Not sure...and I don’t have an active FURL environment to test this with.

I just tried this, and this doesn’t work - if you switch unpublished, it means all children of parent become hidden too.

I’ve got a project where the client wants all documents grouped under "featured projects" but not make featured projects a page itself. If you switch on FURLs and page aliases, it causes all sorts of problems because the link has "featured projects/child/child/" and if you try to go to featured projects, it does nothing because there is nothing there.

I may make it redirect so that if you do go to "featured projects" it goes to the first featured project, or the homepage.

Other than making the hyperlink solution (as mentioned earlier) there is no other way of hiding folders/containers appearing in the FURL.
          • 4,205 Posts
          When I use hidden folders I always place a redirect either to the first child or someplace else just in case someone tries to go there. It would be nice to get them out of the URL but I don’t think it is possible.
            [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
            Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
          • I have created complex menus like this with multiple Wayfinder calls, and "stitched" them together with CSS so you can’t tell that they are separate sections. You can also tweak the different Wayfinder templates to make them all mesh together.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 6 Posts
              Hey people,

I think having the option to hide folders from URL’s is an obvious, reasonable and desirable situation.

I picked up on a thread, also talking about it but this one has more life so will repeat my thoughts here and link that one in.

In a site map you would want to show :

Articles
              -----Category
              ------------Article 1
              ------------Article 2
              ------------Article 3

Even in the document tree, in the manager, it is nice to group things this way.

However in a lot of instances this is a repetition within the URL, for eg.

domain.com/portfolio/sector_type/technology

Well technology is a sector type and frankly this type of tautology has no place on the modern interweb... smiley

I have done some initial investigation and have made a change to getParents() in cache_sync.class.processor.php. Basically if any parent has a particular template variable (represented by the constant URL_HIDE_TMPLVARS_ID) set, it is excluded from being included into the path and written into the cache file.

Thing is, this is not the only place this file gets written, if I go and change a template for example when I save it the infiltrator is back.

One of the nice things about ModX is every time I have had a look at the code base to make a change, or extension, there has been a really obvious place to insert my code. Does anyone who has a knowledge of the caching system have any input for me on this one?

Thanks.
                • 6 Posts
                Hello techies,

I was hoping more people would be up for this one but it seems not so ... sad

I have been away from this task for a few days but now am back on it. It seemed I was wrong before, cache_synch.class.processor.php is the only place this gets written and this processor is called in many different situations.

If this file is called when saving content the query (I now have two but originally there is one) returns ok but when this is called via save_templvars.processor.php the query returns false. If I echo the query onto the screen and run it, I get a row but if the code runs it false.

Does anyone have any clues to this?, I am completely stumped and fear I am either over looking something really stupid or there is something deeper down in the system that I am not considering that may come back and bite me.

Anyone?
                  • 6 Posts
                  Hello lurkers,

Talking to myself here but I have solved the issue that I described above.

Essentially the query I wrote did not have the database table included in the join.

LEFT JOIN $dbase.".$table_prefix."site_tmplvar_contentvalues

in other words I left the $dbase bit off and in some instances the db connection already knew the database and some it didn’t. This is pretty wierd in itself but adding the $dbase variable into the SQL resolves it all.

I think I have solved this issue of hiding folders now and will post the code here when I am sure I have it nailed.

• 43 Posts
                    Hi all,

I’ve just been looking for a solution to this problem myself.

gags: I’m looking forward to seeing your solution smiley

Thanks,
                    Matt
                      • 55 Posts
                      Just ran into the same issue on another site. I figured since I can hide folders that are just containers from breadcrumbs, we would be able to do the same with FURL’s. Looking for some guidance on how to address this. Any takers?