We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 87 Posts
    Thanks Frogabog, unfortunately that didn't fix it. I did clear all cache's before testing as well.
    • Have you tried flushing permissions and logging out?
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 87 Posts
        Manually deleted cache, flushed permissions, flushed sessions...did all that. Still borked.
        I checked error logs and there is one item in there:

[2012-01-28 17:58:26] (ERROR @ /connectors/workspace/namespace.php) Error caching lexicon topic lexicon/en/core/namespace

Dont think this has anything to do with it though. Damn this is frustrating.
        • Does right click quick create work?

Re-install?

Is there a new RC available with a fix perhaps?

"Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            • 87 Posts
            Selecting a template via quick create seems to work fine. Question though...why does changing a template require the whole temporary save/reload process whereas Quick Create doesn't do this? Why does changing templates require a reload of the page? Is it to preserve work that might have been done? Why not just select a template, save, and be done with it? Just curious.

Anyhow, I tested on my dev environment and changing templates worked as expected. I checked date/time settings and it matches production environment. Same as I posted here:

PHP date.timezone is set to America/Toronto
            MySQL time_zone is set to SYSTEM, and system_time_zone is set to Eastern Standard Time
            MODx date_timezone is blank, and server_offset_time is 0

The difference (other than OS..dev is win2k, production is win2k3) is dev database is localhost, whereas production databases are on separate server.

Anyhow, I will try reinstalling and see if that helps.

By the way, when re-running setup, can I just upload the /setup folder or should all files (that I download from MODx) be uploaded? [ed. note: graves007 last edited this post 12 years, 3 months ago.]
              • 387 Posts
              I was having the same problems - say yes to the 'temporary' pop up - then the page is reloaded and the template change is reversed and any other unsaved changes are gone.
              I suspected the MySQL v php server time problem (though it has never caused problems before) the thing was where do I find the MySQL server time zone? (this on shared hosting - limited options!)

Here are two ways:
              1 - I have access to my data base via phpmyadmin:- after logging into the manager and doing something I went to my shared hosting control panel, opened phpadmin and looked at the Structure of the modx_session table - there is a time of the 'Last update' there in my case it was the same as my local time equivalent to UTC -5
              2 - Click on 'Create New Document'. Select the Settings tab, Click on Published On and click on "Today" - a date will appear - go over a box and click, a time will display this time seems to come from the MySQL server (at least it did not match my php server time)

Finding the 'php time' is easy - you write a snippet and stick it on a page
              $now = date("F j, Y, g:i a");
              return $now;
              or perhaps easier: in the Revo manager Under the Reports tab select System Info - you can view the phpinfo and look for the time setting which I think will be the same as the "Server Time:" just below the link to "View" phpinfo

So if they don't agree go to "System - System Settings" type time into the search box - then set the Default Time Zone - I used UTC -5 since my MySQL server was 5 hours behind my 'php time'

Worked for me ( on revo 2.2.0 pl2 )
                • 87 Posts
                Thanks whistlemaker. Another way to find out what MySQL is using is in phpMyadmin under SQL tab, type "show variables". You'll get returned a whole list of vars, two of which are "time_zone" and "system_time_zone".

As for php.ini, I can edit this as I have access to the server, so I specifically set it to "America/Toronto". I also tried adding it to MODx system setting.

In MODx System Info, Server Time and Local Time match (both 8:34:21AM at time of check). Server offset is at "0".

Question...if you used UTC-5 because MySQL server was 5 hours behind 'php time', what happens at daylight savings? You have to go in and manually change this each time?

<digress>Seems easier to just get rid of this tied-to-date-template-reload-thing altogether. If users are going to lose unsaved data then the prompt would be better served telling them so. Or just work like 'Quick Update'. You can change a template here with having to go through any hassle</digress>

Can someone confirm re-running setup, whether I can just upload /setup folder or do I have to upload everything provided by MODx? Thanks for the replies
                • Just upload all the files as if you were installing a new version. If it's something that re-running setup will fix it's in all those other files.

Good luck :~}
                    • 87 Posts
                    Re-ran setup, manually deleted cache, flushed permissions and sessions...still not working. Sigh.
                    • It's still reverting to the original template, correct? This isn't just the save button not being available after changing the template, right?

I couldn't be more clueless on this one. I hope someone has an answer for you.