We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 87 Posts
    Quote from: kevince52 at Mar 01, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Not sure if this will work for everyone but I did manage to get my template issues fixed. Not 100% sure which one of these steps fixed it and I have tried these in various combinations before. For what it's worth though here it is:

1. Deleted any content/settings I had for default timezone and server offset in Modx system settings. So just blank for both.
    2. Cleared cache and flushed all sessions.
    3. Completely deleted the contents of core/cache.
    4. Dumped a fresh copy of Modx 2.2.0-pl2 over my current install. (proper folder merge settings, backup!, all the normal warnings here.)
    5. Ran the Modx setup and did an upgrade (I was already at 2.2.0-pl2 but what the heck)

After that I logged back in and everything worked fine. Anyway hope that helps someone. Worked for me.

Yay!.I repeated these steps and it *seems* to have fixed my issue. I pretty much gave up because I had already tried reinstalling with no luck, but I thought Id give it another shot and so far so good!. I just hope it stays working.....
      • 70 Posts
      Right on. Glad it work. I haven't had any issues since I posted those steps so here's to hoping.
        • 20 Posts
        Yes I tried changing all settings + loads more (changing it in .htaccess and the index file), but the modx settings only seems to change the Default timezone in php, not the date.timezone.

Do you have a date.timezone value in phpinfo? Mine is no value. Just feel there could be a problem with this and not being to edit via php.ini when on a shared host.

Quote from: kevince52 at Mar 08, 2012, 02:43 PM
        I do agree that this is a shame. Something did change with 2.2.0 that seems to be causing this. I've worked with Revo since it came out and have at least 12 sites running on it. I've used the same development environment and the same production servers and never had this issue until 2.2.0. Hope someone smarter than I can figure this out.

My thoughts exactly.

Surely it is too wide a problem to ignore. I know fixes have been made within the settings, but obviously it is not enough as so many people have still not resolved the problem and are having to use quick edit.

The site in question has been online since Early Revo with no problems at all. I have installed fresh installs on a different directory and have tried everything, but no joy. Exactly the same error.
          • 70 Posts
          My dev server (MAMP running on a mini) PHP

Default timezone America/Halifax
          date.timezone local value: America/Halifax master value: America/Halifax

I did set this but long before this problem occurred. I also removed the values at one point while trying to fix the issue but I've never touched MySQL settings as far as I know by default MySQL will use system time.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/time-zone-support.html

I did have the same issue on a production server when I upgraded to 2.2.0 It has:

Default timezone America/New York
          date.timezone local value: (no value) master value: (no value)

That's on a shared host so I had no control over timezone settings. When I talked to tech support they said that both PHP and MySQL should be getting time zone values from system time. So there should never be a problem with them being synced. (big grain of salt)

I'm not sure what fixed that one unfortunately. I was furiously trying to get things done as it was a production server. The last thing I did was removed the Modx timezone setting in system settings. Not sure if that's what did it but it certainly seemed like it. At the time it looked like THE solution but left me wondering what the point of that setting was if it couldn't be changed. When I ran into the same issue on my dev server and there was no value in time zone system settings my confidence in that solution waned a bit.

On production server install I do have a server offset value in system settings of 1 but nothing in timezone. In the system report I get the right times for local and server but oddly Quip still uses the timezone and ignores the server offset. That's another issue though.

The long and short is that nothing I did to the time zone settings on the server seemed to have any bearing on this issue. I may be wrong but it seems to be a Modx problem. Maybe it's not one that shows up all the time but when it shows up it's huge.
          [ed. note: kevince52 last edited this post 12 years, 1 month ago.]
            • 87 Posts
            If it matters (and I doubt it does but who knows), other than the reinstall, my only change was removing '0' as the Server Offset setting. So now its blank.
            What I dont like and what doesnt fill me with confidence regarding MODx is, major issues like this just seem to pop up out of nowhere. One day its working fine, next day you cant change templates. Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence, which I think is what kevince52 is eluding to?
              • 70 Posts
              I am a huge fan of Modx. I've spent my time with the other popular systems and that just reinforced how good Modx really is. The vast majority of issues I have are mine. My lack of knowledge or understanding.

I sure that you're not questioning that graves007. I just wanted to speak up in case someone reads this who might be wavering on what CMS to choose. I believe on the whole Modx is the best option out there.

This issue is a bit frustrating when it does pop up. Our conversation hopefully is part of the solution.

For what it's worth I do have a value of 1 in the server offset settings on one of my production servers. 0 on at least one site on my dev server and blank on another site on the same dev server. Neither has an issue now but the one that's blank did until I followed the steps I outlined above. I know there's and answer to this but the server offset doesn't seem to be a consistent variable.
                • 20 Posts
                Kevince52, where are you located in the world?
                  • 1 Posts
                  I've never post here, but after spending all day with this problem I though I'd offer something that may help someone.

Like kevince52, I am a huge fan of Modx. The majority of my problems have been my lack of knowledge or understanding.

The last few sites where I've installed MODX Revolution 2.2.0-pl2 or upgraded to it, I've had this problem changing templates, but I never had the problem with older versions of revolution. The problems have always been solved by setting the date_timezone correctly.

This week I started a new Revo 2.2 site and had the same problem, but changing the date_timezone did not solve the problem. I did not worry and just used Quick update to change templates, because I did not have time to look into it further until today.

This site is on the same server where I just finished 2 Revo sites last week and they could change templates after changing date_timezone, so I was confused?

After reading everything here, comparing this install to the 2 from last week, reinstalling, and trying everything I could think of, I noticed the 2 sites from last week could no longer change templates?

Then I tried 2 sites on a different server from right before those sites and they still worked. They were set to America/Chicago, but the 3 latest sites on a different server were set to America/Denver?

The 2 sites that work (America/Chicago) are on a Rackspace server and the 3 that no longer can change templates (America/Denver) are on a Virtual dedicated Server from Godaddy.

Then it occured to me that Godaddy is in Arizona and Arizona does not follow Daylight Saving Time, which was last Saturday.

I changed the 3 sites that had a problem to America/Phoenix and now they can all change templates correctly.

I don't know why phpinfo() said the Default timezone was America/Denver in the first place, but if anyone has a Godaddy server try changing to America/Phoenix.

I hope this helps someone.
                    • 51 Posts
                    Just to confirm what a few people have said, changing the timezone to what matched phpinfo worked.

BUT...this is a crazy bug and should have been fixed by now
                      • 70 Posts
                      Well this happened to me again. I've got a little more information though. I checked phpinfo using Modx and it told me one default timezone and phpinfo not from Modx tells me another. Something odd is going on. Can someone smarter than me think of a reason this may be happening? I've uploaded a screen shot to show you what I'm talking about. Obviously this is the same server. Anyone?