We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 680 Posts
    I tend to lean a bit toward making it part of the core. Part of me says keep the core as streamlined as possible. But because this is a feature that a lot of the big boys (i.e. TYPO3 and Mambo) have, I feel that it would be good from a markeing standpoint to have it as a core feature. But I can see advantages on both sides.

If we do have it as a plugin I’d like to see it included with the typical install. But I’m biased smiley
    • A Plugin distributed as part of the core. No question, as some folks may in fact never want it in. Same reasoning as making RTEs as plugins vs. embedded in the core.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 3,250 Posts
        I have installed the frontend editor and it seems to work except for two things. It seems to break FCK editor on a new TP3.1 instal and it does not respect the manager theme choice (if you choose default instead of modx theme). aNoble any idea of why this could be happening? Otherwise it works great. Thanks for the great submission.
          • 680 Posts
          FCK is working on the installations I’ve set up. Are you getting some sort of a javascricpt error you could send me?

I did not take the manager themes into acconut. Honestly it never even crossed my mind. I’ll see if I can get that working.

There are other things I need to fix also.

- Permissions for the TVs are not working if no document group is selected.

- I’ve had some scrolling issues with the richtext editors in the edit window.

- I haven’t done anytnig with locking yet.

- I also haven’t done anythnig with caching yet. That may be tricky we may have to modify the core or have some sort of a cache overide plugin ability so that the edit links will show up after logging in. I’m not sure yet.

Basically all that to say that this is still a work in progress. You can consider this a tech preview for the tech preview tongue

But I definitely want to get to the bottom of the FCKeditor problem as I wasn’t aware of that.

BTW let me take this chance to thank everyone for their great input. This is truly a friendly and exciting development community to be a part of. I’ve had a lot of other projects recently and haven’t had a lot of time to get deep into MODx but hopefully I will be able to keep my current pace and continue doing some programming for this project.
            • 3,250 Posts
            No, I am not getting any javascript errors. It is just not loading. When I switched back to my old manager directory (I backed it up) FCK editor worked (sans front end editing though). My "new" manager directory was a direct copy from the 3.1 zip + my config.inc.php file with you front end editor zip overlayed. I hope this problem can be resolved as this is a great addition to the core.
              • 680 Posts
              Strange. Could you send me the HTML output source of the editor window, that could help me figure this out.

Did anyone else have a problem with FCKeditor working?
                • 1 Posts
                as for core or no well it’s not really for me to say. It’s not many files and doesn’t add much in the way of size.

For those useing fck editor, it is the most finicky editor I have ever seen. I get the not loading editor issue also but I have noticed it is very picky about firefox extensions that you have installed. It loads the editor plugin component but the menu’s at the top of the text areas are simply missing it still loads the iframe though there is just no way to change font size and what not else. You can only enter text like you normally would.

I’m using the tinymce editor right now and it loads and works well. Some things I dont like about it but for the most part seems to be very stable.

I do have other issues though the highlighted areas dont really look highlited it simplt covers my content area with a light green colored box over the top of the content so that the content becomes invisible. I’m using firefox under linux. I’m not sure why or iff this should make a difference but it seems to.

And now to ask for a request. How about buttons for adding a child or sibling document also? in this way it would be very easy to add a new document werever you want.
                  • 680 Posts
                  Is the content that is getting highlighted white by chance? The light green color of the highlighter could cause problems with light colored fonts. We could either change the color of the font also when hovered over or we could ditch the background color and just change the border. Makes no difference to me either way. I think someone will probably end up make some graphical changes to the frontend editing links. They can make the decision on how the highlight will ultimately look.

I’m not quite sure what to do about FCKeditor. Mark, did you try the editor in both IE and Firefox?
                    • 1 Posts
                    You know I had not thought about that. Yes I’m using a red theme and the font color is white for all my content. I cant say for anybody else but it also kind of messes with my site layout. Right now I’m using a tabeless layout with css and is xhtml strict compatable. I’m not sure if it the javascript or css but it kind of punches the bottom of my site down some. It is kind of strange becasuse the content area is about the right size and it does highlite the content well. Well other than the font being white.
                      • 1 Posts
                      doh one more issue is you have oage cashing turned on then the edit button shows up even for users that are not logged in and also for guest users with no logon.