We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    @moderator : I think this debate could be splitted from this post on -> Edit : thanks rthrash, uh Ryan wink

I have been following this thread with great interrest... there is a lot of valuable content and input in there, which goes well beyond UI changes

NB : My (limited) perspective and my experience @MODx tells quite a bunch of people will jump in and contribute - thus things will greatly speed up when we reach the public beta phase.

As far as I am concerned I lack the skills to contribute at this stage, but will definitely help with reporting bugs and testing and write documentation but only from a end user or designer point of view (still limited by my PHP skills...).

One thing I could work on is help attract more coders to the party, maybe we need to develop a strategy to that end. Marketing to coders is often overlooked, as it could seem antagonistic but exemples like that of CodeIgniter makes me wonder...
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
    • Thanks davidm for the suggestion... split.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 958 Posts
        I might be comepeletely wrong but, One thing i’v find out that there are no actual or routine process of getting new users (possible contributors) who have an ideas interested in participation, or they may get the fear of being ignored, it might be caused by the forum deriven comunications that fine thoughts might get lost in time, but i also agree this is an easiest way to communicate!
        Not sure but, This may be solved by relying on something like wish-list for major sections of working areas or finding the way that makes more inteaction between new (possible) contributors and those who make the decisions, this could extract the needs to the ideas and finally adobted in the logic party!.

Second is that there is actually many users with different eyesight of how the things could be done, or how many arears can be changed or findout left-behind without addressing the needs globally but, those are just an ideas without the knowledge of how that idea could possibly transformed to the php logics.
        Again! am not sure but i think there is a lost peace of a chain that possibly could be filled with medium-level guys who have the time and interest to get the ideas from users and knows how is actually capable/responsible of taking care of the issue or the idea.
        This way both the community and developers makes sure that every possible idea has filtered down to the fresh pieces of the usable solutions.

Edit: I know that my english grammar sucks! & am sorry for that, tried to make it easy to understand but i know thats not okay! lol :-]
          [img]http://i10.tinypic.com/52c4eir.gif[/img][/td]
          [td][Wiki] [Persian support forum]
          [SVN] [RTL SVN Branch] [bugs] [FishEye+Crucible] [Learn MODx!] | [My Google Code]
          [font=tahoma][برای دسترسی به راهنمای فارسی به [url=http://www.modxcms.ir]
          • 24,544 Posts
          Quote from: MotSmart at Jan 19, 2008, 02:24 AM

I might be comepeletely wrong but, One thing i’v find out that there are no actual or routine process of getting new users (possible contributors) who have an ideas interested in participation, or they may get the fear of being ignored, it might be caused by the forum deriven comunications that fine thoughts might get lost in time, but i also agree this is an easiest way to communicate!
          Not sure but, This may be solved by relying on something like wish-list for major sections of working areas or finding the way that makes more inteaction between new (possible) contributors and those who make the decisions, this could extract the needs to the ideas and finally adobted in the logic party!.

I think this is a key point. I’ve thought about contributing but haven’t been able to imagine a path to do so other than to try to answer questions on the forum to take pressure off the people working on 0.9.7. I can get some idea of what’s being done by looking at the SVN and Trac but can’t really see what’s not being done that needs doing or what’s already being worked on but not posted yet. In addition to the points above, I think people are reluctant to dive in only to find later that someone else is doing the same task.

It seems the tasks are pretty well thought out so maybe it would be possible to have a thread here with some "job postings" for people with particular skills to complete particular scheduled tasks?

Bob
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 332 Posts
            Quote from: davidm at Jan 18, 2008, 07:17 PM

@moderator : I think this debate could be splitted from this post on -> Edit : thanks rthrash, uh Ryan wink

As far as I am concerned I lack the skills to contribute at this stage, but will definitely help with reporting bugs and testing and write documentation but only from a end user or designer point of view (still limited by my PHP skills...).

I’d have followed the development on 0.9.7 closely, and I love to help too, but my skill on programming is close to none and my English writing suck, therefor I dared not even participate this discussion...

I do, however consider myself an advanced CSS coder, and pretty good with ’visual’ web design, but not sure if you guys need my ’expertise’ as what I think I am good at, is pretty common among web design community grin
              • 7 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Jan 19, 2008, 02:51 AM

It seems the tasks are pretty well thought out so maybe it would be possible to have a thread here with some "job postings" for people with particular skills to complete particular scheduled tasks?

A meta-concern, to be sure. This is what originally drove my (now) thread. There may be greater immediate priorities, but I sense additional managerial processes may help drive future development. Responses by potentially capable hands appears to bear out the potential for such. Trac until then, I understand.
                • 7,075 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Jan 19, 2008, 02:51 AM
                I think this is a key point. I’ve thought about contributing but haven’t been able to imagine a path to do so other than to try to answer questions on the forum to take pressure off the people working on 0.9.7. I can get some idea of what’s being done by looking at the SVN and Trac but can’t really see what’s not being done that needs doing or what’s already being worked on but not posted yet. In addition to the points above, I think people are reluctant to dive in only to find later that someone else is doing the same task. It seems the tasks are pretty well thought out so maybe it would be possible to have a thread here with some "job postings" for people with particular skills to complete particular scheduled tasks?

[anchor=suggestions]
                That’s what I meant when I said we had to devise a "marketing" strategy, maybe I should have said communicate better towards contributors, and define a page with "entry points" for would be contributors (be it devs or user, designers...). We could have a "Contribute to the project !" button on the homepage, and a contribute.modxcms.com subsite with a simple structure and hopefully catchy content, something like :

You’re a MODx user ?

<button>Contribute to the user documentation</button>
                <button>Join the community !</button>
                <button>Report a bug !</button>

You’re a designer and love MODx ?

<button>Contribute to the designer’s documentation</button>
                <button>Submit a template !</button>

You’re a developper and would like to contribute ?

<button>Contribute to the API documentation</button>
                <button>Contribute a patch / bug fix for the current release !</button>
                <button>Check out latest dev branch, participate in testing and contribute code !</button>

This is a "quick and dirty draft" but you get the idea.

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l&#39;outil id
                • I’ve fixed the broken layout in the manager login page if anybody’s interested. All I did was copy the <style>...</style> block from the one for 0.9.6 and pasted it in. Now it looks the same; the "remember me" checkbox is where it belongs.

I’m also making a list of where all this stuff is as I learn my way around.
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                    • 4,149 Posts
                    Quote from: chinesedream at Jan 19, 2008, 02:56 AM

I’d have followed the development on 0.9.7 closely, and I love to help too, but my skill on programming is close to none and my English writing suck, therefor I dared not even participate this discussion...

I do, however consider myself an advanced CSS coder, and pretty good with ’visual’ web design, but not sure if you guys need my ’expertise’ as what I think I am good at, is pretty common among web design community grin

Actually, as soon as we finish the port of 097 to ext2, CSS stylers and graphic help will be one of the _primary_ needs.
                      shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                      • 332 Posts
                      Quote from: splittingred at Jan 19, 2008, 07:33 PM

Actually, as soon as we finish the port of 097 to ext2, CSS stylers and graphic help will be one of the _primary_ needs.

Count me in then. I reckon you guys will make another announcement when ready right?