We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,098 Posts
    Quote from: hazymat at May 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
    On the other hand, many of Evolution's snippets and extensions haven't been updated for a while now, and I wonder what future it has.
    Evolution is evolving...read the progress in this thread:
    http://forums.modx.com/thread/74766/bringing-evo-back-to-life-again
      • 40 Posts
      Specifically the documentation for the core of ModX *and* the range of modules and plugins, I find Evolution is absolutely superb because of the excellent resources online (from the likes of Bob Ray and Susan Otwell), not to mention the fact it's been in the wild for so long therefore benefits from my being able to google practically *anything* and someone has already come across my issue.

On the other hand, many of Evolution's snippets and extensions haven't been updated for a while now, and I wonder what future it has.

I think you boil it down to the main issues here. Both are evolving, Revo in the form of support, all be it seems slow at times. Many Add-On devs are moving over to Revo now. Still the main question is:
      Which has the better Add-Ons and support for them and which is better to push to clients for back end ease of use?

Usage for site builders is mostly the same, besides tag differences and some other small things. Many like Evo for a lot of good reasons, but even BobRay will tell you Revo is the future of MODX. The biggest drawback I find personally is that to really be able to work the Add-Ons you need to have some PHP background and in general have a really good base knowledge in AJAX and associated tech. It is easy enough to get a basic site up and running with chunks and tvs and some quality HTML/CSS, but to move beyond that it is a rather large step up in knowledge needed to get into upper-intermediate and advanced usage of the tool in general.

Being that MODX core is made completely separate from the extras in a modular design they focus on supporting the core. So the development and support for Add-Ons is done by the gurus and dev pros and although there is some great documentation out there they obviously don't have time to field every question or keep the tuts up to date with every new release all the time. The Add-Ons there are are robust and solid but I know at least for myself I wish there was a real centralized effort to bring more simplicity and/or training on usage. With such a great core designed CMS I truly believe that this would propel MODX into, or even above, the big 3 that still dominate the market.
        MODx helps me stay in the white
        • 68 Posts
        If you are a beginner to MODx - start off with Evolution

Then if you have further experience of MODx - Go ahead with Revolution

wink
          IntoVPS - VPS hosting service with super-fast response.
          If MODx does not suit your needs then you have a lack of imagination.
          • 37 Posts

You forget that if you start with Evo there is no upgrade path to Revo if you use Evo Addons. So if you start with Evo and then be prepared to stay stuck with Evo too. The Evo Addons are not even being updated and some are abandoned. Reminds me of the Xoops addons!
          What a Marketing failure!
            • 34 Posts
            Quote from: modxjr1 at May 22, 2012, 01:55 AM

You forget that if you start with Evo there is no upgrade path to Revo if you use Evo Addons. So if you start with Evo and then be prepared to stay stuck with Evo too. The Evo Addons are not even being updated and some are abandoned. Reminds me of the Xoops addons!
            What a Marketing failure!

Welllll - I guess the debate is still live-and-kicking then. Hah!

As for me, I stuck with Evo for now, and find the decision is a constant compromise between the wide range of available addons and documentation vs. the fact people can't be bothered to talk about their 4 year old snippets on the forums any more...

Nevermind, ModX Evo is still brilliant in so many ways and I'm grateful I can use it at all. [ed. note: hazymat last edited this post 11 years, 11 months ago.]
              • 88 Posts
              If I want to upgrade my version of ModX, Is modX version 1.0.6 Evo secure? Or do I need to completely upgrade them to the newest version of Revo?

Thanks!
                Doug Peters, Symbiotic Design. (605) 251-8973
                http://W3DN.com | http://www.DomainHostmaster.com
                • 1,098 Posts
                Yes, Evo 1.0.6 is secure, the 1.0.6 was actually released to solve security issues.
                  • 10 Posts
                  My own personal version of it:

About a year ago, the sum total of my web design experience consisted of, er, two sophomoric Geocities sites (one, I should say, written in HTML/CSS with notepad rather than with that infamous wysiwyg editor). I was then roped into designing a large and unwieldy political website on the basis that I was the last fellow available who was generally 'good at computers'. It was already about a quarter done, by somebody who does this for a living and was generously helping us out pro bono, and who uses Evo. So I had to learn it double-quick.

On tuesday night, after several false starts and plenty of inane questions from muggins here on this very forum, the beast finally went live. In the meantime, I've been playing around with Revo, knocking up a personal website/blog (which currently sits, out of view, on my hard drive) and using it to play around with JQuery and such in a 'controlled environment'.

On the basis of that experience, I will be using Revo in future. Perhaps I'd have come out on the other side of the fence, had I been doing the big old daunting project on Revo and the fun-time thing on Evo. But I don't think so - I've learned enough to know that much of the most useful functionality in Evo - one thinks of PHx - is jerry-rigged by ingenious developers into that platform, but integrated into the core of Revo; and that the latter's interface, complaints about speed notwithstanding (I've never noticed a difference, personally), is much slicker and more usable (I was getting rather pissed off at having to click on the chunks tab every four seconds because of the way the elements page works, for example).

Future proofing I think is ultimately not the issue - enough people, clearly, are Evo loyalists to keep that going, even if the 'resurrection' is in its early stages. The important thing for ModX, if it's going to REALLY make it big, is to attract people like I was a year ago, who don't know much of the 'hard' techie stuff but still want to have proper control over how the damn thing looks and works, without being slung into a wordpress-style straitjacket. Nowadays, when literally everyone has some basic level of computer literacy at least, I suspect there's quite a lot of us ;-) Revo, being generally slicker, is off to a better start on that point.

Anyway, for giving me the chance to make something big, and passably eye catching, without having to know more PHP than would fill half a side of A4 paper, I have fallen in love with ModX, and would rather not have to use any other CMS in future. Looking forward to number three.
                  • As far as the "clicking on the chunks tab", there is a Configuration setting to remember your last open tab. You can also right-click on a main menu item and choose to open it in a new browser tab, which makes switching between resources and elements much easier.

That said, Revo does make it much easier with its "Quick Edit" options.

On a personal level, I have decided to go over to the dark side, and instead of just having an itchy feeling that "I don't like it", dig into it enough to find exactly what it is that gives me that feeling, and fix things. I'm sure it will take me much longer to get the codebase under control, since there are several programming methods and conventions I also need to learn, but I suspect that it'll be much the same as going from a simple backwards/forwards/zig-zag sewing machine to one of the these nifty electronic ones with 500 built-in embroidery stitches, a USB port, and a 6" lcd screen with a menu. Sure, I can do my own repairs on the first machine, but the second one does so much. Of course, first I have to build a few more websites so I can afford the $10,000 for one of those bad boys... http://www.pfaff.com/global/18608.html
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Welcome aboard Susan! I remember some serious floundering when I first tried to understand the Revo codebase. It seems really logical now, but it sure didn't then.

I talked Shaun into creating this page to help me make sense of it: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Explanation+of+Directory+Structure

I imagine that we're all waiting for MODX 3 when these discussions will be moot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting