We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Sorry no, and I am currently a bit absent from the forums here for personnal reasons.
    Be sure I’ll post back here when I do though...
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
    • Nice story about how it all started: http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/2127230
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 150 Posts
        What sort of integration are folks after? I mean, it shouldn’t be too difficult to have subscription and un-subscription pages available in MODx pages via a snippet I wouldn’t have thought, but if we’re talking about porting the whole system as a module or something... that’d be a little trickier wink

Anywho, I’m off to download as this looks like it will end another one of my long searches for a decent mailing script smiley
          Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
          • 53 Posts
          From my point of view it would be great if it was integrated as a module. I Know that it can easily be included as subscription pages. But it would be more appealing to non technical folks that there is an Incorporated newsletter system.

And it is indeed a great mailing system
            • 150 Posts
            Ah, well the problem there is that you’d then have to pick apart poMMo to do this and whenever the poMMo coders make a new release, make the updates in the module.

If only they had an API that allowed you to basically run poMMo outside of poMMo if you see what I mean...
              Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
              • 788 Posts
              Actually they are intending to move to a new static-based OO API vs. the filename based function groups that currently exist, which should making integration a lot easier.
                Jesse R.
                Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
                Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
                Donate now. Every contribution helps.
                • 1,611 Posts
                Modules are pretty independent of MODx, actually. You might be able to just create a module that includes the Pommo admin files and it would work just the same as if it were outside of the Manager. And handling subscriptions would be easy enough to do with eForm (and shouldn’t break when Pommo is updated unless they alter the table structure).
                  "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                  • 7,075 Posts
                  All this is music to my ears smiley
                  Great news !
                    .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                    • 150 Posts
                    How did I forget PHP includes? wink

So, you could technically do this so long as someone was willing to update whatever interface was built to have it hooked into MODx when there were major changes.

Probably better to wait til the new API is done.
                      Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
                      • 2 Posts
                      Hey guys! I must say that I am glad that you find poMMo useful and am excited about the possibility of it being integrated into MODx. I am also willing to help with this process in any way I can -- be it contributing code or answering questions wink

Let me express my "gameplan";

poMMo is yet feature complete. I still need to finish the mailing template system, administrative notices, and bounced mail processing. I would also like to have plugin architecture in place to allow developers to easily extend functionality and offer a few "stock" plugins such as Multi-User poMMo (List Managers, Editors, and Administrators). This plugin framework may or may not make it into the "1.0" release, but if it does.. I do foresee some API changes (although the function names and passed in/out arguments will probably remain the same). With this in mind, poMMo is not "complete" yet.

There is a developer roadmap and TODO available @ the site WIKI (http://pommo.org/Development). What should be gathered from this is that poMMo’s PR16 release will be considered "complete", and the beta will begin shortly there after. When the project is in beta, developers will focus on stabilizing the program, writing documentation, and implementing the "per page" support WIKI. No features will be added while in beta, thus no "new" API -- although the API may see modifications/security updates/etc. During this period I planned on commenting the API source (.PHP files in inc/classes and inc/helpers) in JavaDoc syntax so that API documentation can be generated with phpdoc. After all this is done, I have always thought that my work would revolve around "embedded poMMo" and making integrations. This is, however, a flexible chronology.. and so there’s no reason to wait to begin playing with integrations wink

A new static OO API was introduced in PR14. This model is proving to work out well, and I don’t forsee any changes unless better developers than I convince me otherwise wink . Currently all functionality of the program relvovles around this API, and is contained within the files of inc/classes and inc/helpers.

What I tried to do with PR14 was create system functionality that was friendly towards embedding. The variable namespace is reduced to a single global ($pommo).. so it’s integration should not interfere with scripts. There is room for improvement -- e.g. the API functions could be embedded into a single object by means of object extension, and so fourth... but I like the simplicity of what we have. That said, I would be very interested to coordinate and share ideas with other developers for making poMMo more accessible & embeddable. There is a lot of information in the source files explaining the various API functions -- however no browsable overview is available at this time.

The standard method of accessing the poMMo API is to call bootstrap.php (located in the poMMo root). This file sets up the $pommo global.. accessible via "$GLOBALS[’pommo’]" or "global $pommo;". You’ll see that most of my program files (in admin/* or user/*) call bootsrap.php and then execute the initialization function $pommo->init(); -- The initialization function reads the config.php, sets up a reference to the database (as $pommo->_dbo), and so fourth. It can be found in inc/classes/pommo.php . All other API functionality is made available with Pommo::requireOnce(FILE). For instance, if you want to include the subscriber API (functions to add, delete, update, and return subscribers) include inc/helpers/subscribers.php via Pommo::requireOnce($pommo->_baseDir.’inc/helpers/subscribers.php’); You will now have access to PommoSubscriber::add(), PommoSubscriber::update(), and so fourth. From the proceeding example you may see that $pommo->_baseDir holds the string value of poMMo’s "base directory" on the server -- e.g. "/home/www/vhost/modxcms.com/pommo/" or "c:\inet pub\sites\modxcms.com\" on win32. ..OK enough of the primer wink

For now, since the documentation is not written, I’m here to answer technical questions. I’ve found that while email works, AIM/Skype seems to be a better route. My AIM/Skype handle is "bricecubed". Let me know if you have any questions or ideas.

Thanks,

~ Brice