We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • If this is some kind of clustered server setup, then what may be happening is that each time you request a page (such as when saving or otherwise moving around in the Manager) the request is being serviced by a different physical server, and it doesn’t have access to your session file, which is by default stored in the main /tmp folder, but on the first server you logged in to.

The best solution to this would be to specify the session_path in your .htaccess file to be somewhere in your web space. Unless your php is running as a cgi module and with suexec, you’ll need to have a world-writable folder to put the session files in. Even better would be to use database storage for the session, but that’s another story.

The cluster should be configured to handle that already. Sloppy.
      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
    • I’m a proud MediaTemple GS account holder as well. And Susan, what you say could be true of other services, but this one only clusters the web server itself, while the file system and database servers are handled separately. In fact the sessions are stored on a common file system which every web server in the grid has access to. I’ll play around with my existing modx installs on the GS account when I get a chance, but I’ve never had a problem like this with the service before...
        • 129 Posts
        Well, any ideas to a solution or a way to test for more info would be helpful.

I really need to get this fixed :’(

I don’t know anything about the core so if one of you dev types can point me in the right direction I will try to debug it...
          "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
          -- Sydney Harris
        • Well, indeed, it appears something is very wrong with the grid... huh >:(

I cannot login at all; and though it started to load the manager on the third attempt, it finally spit me back out to the login page again. Hmmm. Very disconcerting.
          • Quote from: OpenGeek at Apr 02, 2007, 10:40 PM

Well, indeed, it appears something is very wrong with the grid... huh >:(

I cannot login at all; and though it started to load the manager on the third attempt, it finally spit me back out to the login page again. Hmmm. Very disconcerting.

I can also confirm this bug, as it has been irritating me upon recently surfacing some time ago. When it happens again, I’ll be sure to pass along Rev.#, environment, etc.

Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
              MODx Ambassador / Contributor
              [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
            • Quote from: pixelchutes at Apr 02, 2007, 10:57 PM

Quote from: OpenGeek at Apr 02, 2007, 10:40 PM

Well, indeed, it appears something is very wrong with the grid... huh >:(

I can also confirm this bug, as it has been irritating me upon recently surfacing some time ago. When it happens again, I’ll be sure to pass along Rev.#, environment, etc.

I assume you mean the "bug" with the MediaTemple GS service? Cause MODx was working fine there last time I checked before today... So, just to be clear, this is something to do with MediaTemple, not MODx...
                • 62 Posts
                I put in a support ticket to MT to see if anyone from there can help... I’ll keep everyone posted.
                  Faithfully using MODx since 2007!
                  • 129 Posts
                  Just a note that I also have a DV server with MediaTemple and it is unaffected. Probably fairly common sense since the DedicatedVirtual is a totally different service than their GridServer.

On another note, I know MT just changed the way they do their SQL on the Grid so maybe that is what did it...
                    "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
                    -- Sydney Harris
                  • Quote from: OpenGeek at Apr 02, 2007, 11:36 PM

I assume you mean the "bug" with the MediaTemple GS service? Cause MODx was working fine there last time I checked before today... So, just to be clear, this is something to do with MediaTemple, not MODx...

That is really odd. I was experiencing the exact same issue, only no MediaTemple GS. I was definitely experiencing random logouts during manager sessions...Hmmm. No worries then wink
                      Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
                      MODx Ambassador / Contributor
                      [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart