We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 62 Posts
    When I update pages in MODx its sometimes logs me out without saving the changes. I get no error or anything like that, it just takes me to the login page to sign back in. Sometimes I have to log back in 2-3 times before it lets me save my changes. I am using MODx on another site and have never encountered this issue. Might it have something to do with multiple people making updates to the same site? I created more users so were not sharing one login. Please help.
      Faithfully using MODx since 2007!
    • It could in fact be multiple users logging in and logging out. You really shouldn’t ever allow multiple content editors use the same account. I’d temporarily disable that user simply by changing the password so that no one will know what it is to enforce users using their new accounts.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • Are you sure of that, Ryan? A login is tied to a given session; I don’t see how someone else with a different session could log out and it would have any effect on my session. I just logged in as the same user with FF and Safari, and it doesn’t have any effect on the other if I logout in one of them. Sounds more like a session timeout issue; especially on shared hosting that can be very arbitrary sometimes, as the timeout will be based on the shortest timeout setup on the entire server. What version of MODx are you using, runningthingz?
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • Definitely not sure about it, but it’s still a bad practice. smiley
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 62 Posts
            I am using version modx-0.9.5, I downloaded this about 3 weeks ago. Might this have anything to do with the server its being hosted on? I have a virtual server with Media Temple and am running MySQL 4.1.11

Its so weird because I am using modx for another one of my sites that is hosted on cleverdot.com and I have yet to encounter this issue.

I also encounter this issue when I am the only one logged in.

I tried logging in from other other computers to see if this has something to do with my browser but encountered the same issue.
              • 3,975 Posts
              PHP 4.1.11 huh
                Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                • 62 Posts
                Sorry, we are running PHP 4 on our server.
                • PHP 4.what? I think you’ll have problems with anything earlier than PHP 4.3.x but ymmv.
                    • 62 Posts
                    PHP Version 4.4.4
                      • 129 Posts
                      Ok, I am having the same issue with getting logged out for no reason, and not only when I save. It happens fairly frequently and seems to be pretty much every time I do any kind of action. A few times it even happened while logging in and logged me right back out. Seemed to be the most common when editing templates where I would have to log in several times in order to get one actual save.

This did not used to be a problem on the same server when I had MODx 9.5 rc2 installed. I first noticed the issue today on on my site after upgrading to 9.6 rc1. Later, I did a fresh install for a new client project and the problem persisted into the fresh install so it is not a issue of users.

I had thought it might be a 9.6 issue but runningthingz is using 9.5 so there goes that theory.

I am also a MediaTemple Grid Server with the PHP 4.4.4 and MySQL 4.1.11 in both cases, I was running MODx 9.6 rc1. They just made some changes to their MySQL system which makes me wonder if this may have sparked an issue. Hopefully someone has some idea for a fix since this makes MODx almost unusable on my main host :’(.
                        "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
                        -- Sydney Harris