We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,154 Posts
    Wow finally! Congrats!
      • 670 Posts
      Quote from: nuan88 at Apr 22, 2016, 01:50 AM
      Wow finally! Congrats!

Ha ha - thanks all for your advice and help - this is such a great community!
        • 88 Posts
        hi guys,
        hoping this isn't considered a thread hijack, cause i'm having the same(?) problem. only i have not been able to find any commonalities yet, and it's not happening all the time; just for a few folks here'n'there.

we've had our site public for a couple weeks now, and have had a ton of successful registrations/logins; but every day or two i get at least one person who either:
        1) gets the 404 page upon clicking the activation link in the email, or
        2) supposedly have successful registrations, but then can't login, so they go the "forgot password" route & get a new auto-generated password that's too short for the validation rules!

it's been very difficult getting precise information from these people as to what's happening & the steps they take. so i've done a slew of testing (again) and...
        1) i have not been able to replicate the 404 issue myself; so i'm just at a loss as to why others are.
        2) i've had logins with just numbers go thru successfully, so not sure why you said they aren't allowed.
        3) i've tried many combinations of both usernames & passwords using all kinds of characters, numbers, letters, symbols, etc, & they all work... for me!
        4) the only thing i've been able to confirm that does NOT work is the "forgot pwd" auto-generated thing (but i realize that's not part of this thread).

so do you all have any thoughts on why registration & login does work for most but not for some?

fyi: using Revolution 2.4.3-pl & the Login extra 1.9.2-pl.
        i have the activation link going to just the ConfirmRegister page which redirects to the homepage.
        oh, & also, to address a prev post, No, the people that get the 404 page are NOT being Activated.
        thanks.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I have the same problem at Bob's Guides with the occasional registration not working. The users are there, but not marked as active and activating them manually works fine.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the registration is time-sensitive. Maybe some users are waiting too long click on the link, or the email got delayed, though I've never thought to check with them. You can change the time interval that the registration link is good for.

I've always suspected that the users who can't log in are either misremembering or mis-typing their passwords.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 88 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at May 02, 2016, 08:26 PM
            I have the same problem at Bob's Guides with the occasional registration not working. The users are there, but not marked as active and activating them manually works fine.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the registration is time-sensitive. Maybe some users are waiting too long click on the link, or the email got delayed, though I've never thought to check with them. You can change the time interval that the registration link is good for.

I've always suspected that the users who can't log in are either misremembering or mis-typing their passwords.

THANKS BOB!!! really appreciate your quick reply.
            i just read something that caused me to wonder the same thing. so i did a test registration & am waiting until the time limit is up before i click the activation link to see what happens. if that's the issue, i suppose i should add some text to the submission page & email about that. i'll also try the special error option too.

now whilst i wait for that time to run out, i'm investigating that other issue i mentioned above, but just made a new post for since it's a bit off-topic from this thread. would appreciate your review...

https://forums.modx.com/thread/100064/forgot-password-length-too-small#dis-post-541123

thanks!!
              • 88 Posts
              Quote from: syberknight at May 02, 2016, 09:08 PM
              i just read something that caused me to wonder the same thing. so i did a test registration & am waiting until the time limit is up before i click the activation link to see what happens. if that's the issue, i suppose i should add some text to the submission page & email about that. i'll also try the special error option too.

FYI - yup, it sure does expire! be default (for me) is 3 hours (180 min). and everything it does seems to be everything people are describing to me that they're experiencing. so yay, figured that part out. now i just gotta write some text that stands out to them about it.