We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 670 Posts
    Ah Ok I see thanks.
    Is there any way i can find out what is going wrong - is there a debug code I can add in?
    I've triple checked all the settings, and everything seems to be correct. one minute it's working, the next i'm getting errors - just cannot figure out what is causing it to go wrong!
      • 1,154 Posts
      Can you pls strip down the confirmRegister snippet to just the basics, and do not redirect to the special page, instead don't redirect at all or just redirect to a random, open page that anyone can view. I feel sending to the "authorized only" page could be the issue here.

We need to get the user confirmed before anything. If we can get that, it won't be hard to get the user to the right page, eventually.
        • 670 Posts
        Quote from: nuan88 at Apr 21, 2016, 06:48 AM
        Can you pls strip down the confirmRegister snippet to just the basics, and do not redirect to the special page, instead don't redirect at all or just redirect to a random, open page that anyone can view. I feel sending to the "authorized only" page could be the issue here.

We need to get the user confirmed before anything. If we can get that, it won't be hard to get the user to the right page, eventually.

OK thanks for this.
        I just tried with a redirect to the home page - and got a 404 message
        So I tried with just this in the Membership Confirmation Handler resource:
        [[ConfirmRegister]]

and still get a 404 error.

For sanity's sake, i removed the snippet altogether to see if the resource worked, and it does - but as soon as I add the snippet, I get a 404 error -

The URL looks like this:

http://domain.com/membership-confirmation-handler/?lp=eXIwa3E3ODI&lu=MTIzNDU2Nzg

but I still get a 404 error even if I just go to:

http://domain.com/membership-confirmation-handler/

The user is grey in the users window, so they haven't been activated.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks again for your help on this!

Andy
          • 1,154 Posts
          Ok that means next step is to figure out why your link is malformed...

wait no the syntax is this, with the exclamation point:

[[!ConfirmRegister]]
            • 670 Posts
            Quote from: nuan88 at Apr 21, 2016, 08:56 AM

wait no the syntax is this, with the exclamation point:

[[!ConfirmRegister]]

Thanks for this - I added in the exclamation point so that it's not cached - but still get the 404 error unfortunately!

• 1,154 Posts

So could you perhaps make a new thread with appropriate title? This one is also already answered as well.

We want people to know clearly what the problem is. That link ain't resolving, it seems.
                • 670 Posts
                Quote from: nuan88 at Apr 21, 2016, 09:30 AM

So could you perhaps make a new thread with appropriate title? This one is also already answered as well.

We want people to know clearly what the problem is. That link ain't resolving, it seems.

Will do thanks!
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  Hey, just thinking out loud here, but do you need to confirm their addresses at all? As I remember, these people have special codes you have given them when they register, is it right?

It might be better to just totally avoid the whole confirming thing, and throw them right to the members page after registration...
                    • 670 Posts
                    Quote from: nuan88 at Apr 21, 2016, 02:13 PM
                    Hey, just thinking out loud here, but do you need to confirm their addresses at all? As I remember, these people have special codes you have given them when they register, is it right?

It might be better to just totally avoid the whole confirming thing, and throw them right to the members page after registration...

It's a nice idea - but I don't have a record of their membership numbers etc - and we don't have email addresses of each member, so they need to register I'm afraid! thanks though!
                      • 670 Posts
                      hi All,

I sorted this with the help of a few, and alos form searching previous threads.
                      The nmerical username was the key. Login doesn't allow these, so the workaround was as so:

Register page - a snippet to prepend 'u' to the username:
                      if (isset($_POST['registerbtn'])) {
                      $_POST['username:required'] = "u".$_POST['username:required'];
                      }

On the email tpl - remove the 'u' so the user doesn't see it..

[[+username:stripString=`u`]]

Then a similar snippet to prepend the 'u' to the login form (as the user won't know the u exists)

<?php
                      if (isset($_POST['Login'])) {
                      $_POST['username'] = "u".$_POST['username'];
                      }