We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    That would be one option. If it doesn't work, you know it's not a plugin problem. If you knew which plugins might fire on login, you could just do those.

I was hoping it would be the 'name' field of the context table, since that's a common cause of login failure.

If you put in the wrong credentials, do you get an error message on the login screen?
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • discuss.answer
      Quote from: BobRay at Feb 04, 2016, 06:32 AM
      That would be one option. If it doesn't work, you know it's not a plugin problem. If you knew which plugins might fire on login, you could just do those.

I was hoping it would be the 'name' field of the context table, since that's a common cause of login failure.

If you put in the wrong credentials, do you get an error message on the login screen?

Yeh, everything worked on the server prior to migration, so I'm assuming we're not dealing with plugin problems, but anything is possible at this point. Tomorrow we're going to have the server admin set us up with an empty database and we're going to do an install of a fresh MODX on the server and install only the Login snippet and try with that fresh setup. If it works, then we know it's a plugin issue we're having on the main site. If not, then we have other problems.

When I put in the wrong credentials I get nothing back. Same thing...the screen just refreshes.
        Precision Web Development ... SmashStack.com
        • 24,544 Posts
          My MODX Extras
          • 24,544 Posts
          I should have mentioned deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies. Sometimes it works. You could also check the paths and URLs in the core/config/config.inc.php file.
            My MODX Extras
          • Quote from: BobRay at Feb 04, 2016, 06:41 AM
            I should have mentioned deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache an cookies. Sometimes it works. You could also check the paths and URLs in the core/config/config.inc.php file.

Yeh, those were the first steps we tried...98% of the time that fixes the problem but this issues looks like a much bigger problem. Thanks for the advice though.
            • Quote from: BobRay at Feb 04, 2016, 06:38 AM
              There's also a long discussion of the issue here: https://forums.modx.com/thread/30690/modx-manager---always-redirects-back-to-login#dis-post-166401

Awesome...gonna review that thread. Thanks for the find.
              • Hi Kris,

If you're not getting any feedback when entering wrong credentials as well, that sounds like the POST might not be making it through properly. One possible reason for that which could occur following a migration is that there's something in the htaccess (or a plugin) that's causing a redirect to happen, which loses the posted data. Try opening the browser dev tools on the net(work) tab before submitting the login form, and see if there's any additional redirects happening that shouldn't.
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                • Quote from: markh at Feb 04, 2016, 11:44 AM
                  Hi Kris,

If you're not getting any feedback when entering wrong credentials as well, that sounds like the POST might not be making it through properly. One possible reason for that which could occur following a migration is that there's something in the htaccess (or a plugin) that's causing a redirect to happen, which loses the posted data. Try opening the browser dev tools on the net(work) tab before submitting the login form, and see if there's any additional redirects happening that shouldn't.

Yeh, that thought came to mind too as we've seen that type of thing happen before as well...we'll test that out shortly.