We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 953 Posts
    This goes out to all those who have been waiting for the latest version of Evo

A major update to the core code has been completed and Evo 1.1RC (Release Candidate) was recently released

The release can be found and downloaded from here: https://github.com/modxcms/evolution/releases/tag/v1.1RC2

A huge amount of hosting providers are updating their PHP versions to 5.5+ and as we all know Evo has its problems in 5.5 and 5.6 - 1.1RC works upto PHP 7, so hosting problems should be a thing of the past for some time to come.

There are new features in the 1.1RC release, including a fix to remove the so-called page limit.

In the config, there is now an extra box to tick in the friendly URLs section - "Use AliasListing only for Folders"

What this does, when chosen, is only write the URL path of folders to the "siteCache.idx.php", dropping the file size dramatically.

The "siteCache.idx.php" is one of the restrictions when it comes to large sites with thousands of pages - having thousands of pages whilst using FURL's creates a huge "siteCache.idx.php" as all of the FURLs are written to this file as well as tons of other information.

To ensure that all of the changes fully work in a multitude of situations I call on all Evo user to test this release.

Known issues:

• "Ditto" in combination with "aliasListing" (Use AliasListing only for Folders) - GitHub (Resolved)
    • Listindexer still uses mysql_ instead of mysqli_ - GitHub (Resolved)

This question has been answered by iusemodx. See the first response.

[ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 8 years, 1 month ago.]
    • discuss.answer
      • 953 Posts
      Please report any problems here, I will add them to the first post and add them to GitHub

Cheers for the help in getting this release ready for public use.
        • 338 Posts
        Just came to find out what versions of PHP people were running Evo 1.0.15 on. I've currently got a site running on 5.2.17
        and testing it on 5.3.28 before upgrading the server. But it looks like people are running it successfully on versions below 5.5.

I shall test Evo 1.1RC as soon as I get the opportunity in the next couple of weeks.

It would be wonderful if this works out. Thanks for the work you are doing!!

Cheers
        Mike
          • 953 Posts
          1.1 Release candidates can now be downloaded directly from MODX

You can find the RC / pre-release download here: http://modx.com/download/evolution/prereleases/
            • 953 Posts
            Versions of PHP I currently use 1.0.15 in:

• Local = 5.4.12
            • Live = 5.5, 5.6 (to mention just a couple)
              • 1,198 Posts
              Great release, testing these days on two live sites and a local site. For now, no problems.
              Will also be included the additions from Yama like Cross Reference and Builtin Phx?
                Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it
                -----------------------------------------------------

MODx IT  www.modx.it
                -----------------------------------------------------

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design
                • 1,613 Posts
                I have no issues with a site on RC2 but its not that heavy.
                Did anyone test it yet on a site with YAMS?

Recently getting more and more questions about PHP (6) updates on client servers.
                So I'm waiting for 1.1 to come and upgrade so they will be safe till PHP7 smiley
                  Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
                  • 153 Posts
                  I haven't had time to test yet, but thank you to continue to keep Evo alive. Great thank you!

If you have some returns with YAMS, I'm very interested.

Anyway, when this release will be officially deployed?
                    • 953 Posts
                    There have been 66 commits since RC2 was released, so I am not sure when 1.1 will be officialy released.

I'm not sure if there will be an RC3 first of all. Referenced on GitHub

Reference YAMS - sorry, have no idea. [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 8 years, 2 months ago.]
                      • 315 Posts
                      I was just thinking about the version of php for modx Evo 1.0.15. Great news on having a major update due to carry us forward.

My main install is running on 5.3.28 with another on 5.4 but I would like to move forward. I would like to test but fearful I wouldn't have the time to give it.
                        BBloke