We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    How do you add custom styles to the format pull down in this version of TinyMce?

When using the other versions of TinyMCE you could add a list of styles to the System Settings-->Core-->CSS Selectors for Editor field and they would appear on the style drop down in the tool bar.

In the new version, there is no style drop down. There is a Format button that includes headers, block, inline and alignment groupings with the default styles. These are specified in System Setttings-->tinymcerte-->Inline Format like this:

[{"title": "Bold", "icon": "bold", "format": "bold"},
    {"title": "Italic", "icon": "italic", "format": "italic"},
    {"title": "Underline", "icon": "underline", "format": "underline"},
    {"title": "Strikethrough", "icon": "strikethrough", "format": "strikethrough"},
    {"title": "Superscript", "icon": "superscript", "format": "superscript"},
    {"title": "Subscript", "icon": "subscript", "format": "subscript"},
    {"title": "Code", "icon": "code", "format": "code"}]

I tried adding an additional style to this using following the examples here http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/custom_formats.php

{"title": "test", selector: "img", "classes": "imageleft"}
    {"title": "test",  inline: "span", "classes": "imageleft"}

Either of these cause the inline category to disappear from the drop down.

Note: The examples of custom formats use single quotes, where as the system settings are using double quotes.

What am I missing?

• 144 Posts
      Hi,
      Under "system setting", go to the tinyMCE section.
      Read under "css selectors" click onnit and read how to list the css classes.
      Possibly you have to add a "custom style button".
        • 416 Posts
        First thing I tried. That works for TinyMCE 4.3.3-pl.

It has no effect with TinyMce Rich Text Editor 1.1.0-pl. There is no style button and I could find no documentation for adding a style button to the tool bar.

Have you done this with this version?
          • 8 Posts
          I don't know if it is still an issue, but I had the same problem ("disappear from the drop down") as you and solved it this way:

First create a new setting in system setting > tinymcerte:

Key: tinymcerte.my_formats
          Name: setting_tinymcerte.my_formats
          Description: setting_tinymcerte.my_formats_desc
          Field Type: Textfield
          Namespace: tinymcerte
          Area Lexicon Entry: tinymcerte.style_formats
          Value (example):
          [{"title": "Title", "selector": "ul", "classes": "class"},{"title": "Title2", "selector": "li", "classes": "class2"},{ and so on}]

Then add this new setting to existing Style formats:

[{"title": "My personal styles", "items": "my_formats"},{"title": "Headers", "items": "headers_format"},{ and so on }]
            • 1,145 Posts
            Try http://modx.com/extras/package/tinymcewrapper
            You won't need to do all these
              TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
              Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
              5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
              • 8 Posts
              Quote from: donshakespeare at Mar 14, 2016, 12:51 AM
              Try http://modx.com/extras/package/tinymcewrapper
              You won't need to do all these

While I understand that tinymcewrapper is a powerful plugin, every time I installed it, I uninstalled it later. Why? Because with it I get more snippets, templates and chunks that I have of my own in modx install. Because I get resources with literally some new bootstrap website. Because I must then go through settings and search what to uncheck to keep it simple. And so on. And in midway of this I have always uninstalled it, because I really don't need so much of everything.

My idea is - tinymcewrapper needs a light version, or possibility to choose what to install from package, or some kind of framework/core, that doesn't install galleries, four file managers, front end manager etc., but lets simply create custom styles, templates, buttons, etc.
                • 1,145 Posts
                See the road map on that link:
                You'll soon get a chance to butcher install....very soon
                  TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
                  Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
                  5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
                  • 372 Posts
                  Hi, I can't make it work... Did someone can help please?
                  I would like to add custom CSS classes to the toolbar for end user.
                  • Hi there, I had a bit of trouble to start with but I've got this working now. Here are my settings.

Firstly go to System Settings, then select tinymcerte from dropdown and create a new setting with the following details

Key: tinymcerte.custom_format
                    Name: Custom Format
                    Description: (optional - I didn't use this)

Then in the value field add the following:

[ {"title": "Dark Grey Text", "selector": "p", "classes": "grey-text"},{"title": "Small Dark Grey Text", "selector": "p", "classes": "grey-small"},{"title": "Bold Red Text", "selector": "p", "classes": "strong-red"}]

The above code provides the title for the formatting, then the tag you want to apply the formatting to ("selector" : "p") and then I've applied a class.

Next update the Style Formats to include the new Custom Format settings above.

[{"title": "Custom Format", "items": "custom_format"},{"title": "Headers", "items": "headers_format"},{"title": "Inline", "items": "inline_format"},{"title": "Blocks", "items": "blocks_format"},{"title": "Alignment", "items": "alignment_format"}]

Then clear your cache and go play with your Custom Formats....

See screenshots for more info smiley

Helen Warner
                      Number one pixel!
                      Proud to be linked with MODX at Crimson Pixel
                      • 372 Posts
                      Quote from: boomerang at Oct 27, 2016, 05:01 PM
                      Hi there, I had a bit of trouble to start with but I've got this working now. Here are my settings.

Firstly go to System Settings, then select tinymcerte from dropdown and create a new setting with the following details

Key: tinymcerte.custom_format
                      Name: Custom Format
                      Description: (optional - I didn't use this)

Then in the value field add the following:

[ {"title": "Dark Grey Text", "selector": "p", "classes": "grey-text"},{"title": "Small Dark Grey Text", "selector": "p", "classes": "grey-small"},{"title": "Bold Red Text", "selector": "p", "classes": "strong-red"}]

The above code provides the title for the formatting, then the tag you want to apply the formatting to ("selector" : "p") and then I've applied a class.

Next update the Style Formats to include the new Custom Format settings above.

[{"title": "Custom Format", "items": "custom_format"},{"title": "Headers", "items": "headers_format"},{"title": "Inline", "items": "inline_format"},{"title": "Blocks", "items": "blocks_format"},{"title": "Alignment", "items": "alignment_format"}]

Then clear your cache and go play with your Custom Formats....

See screenshots for more info smiley

This work for me! Thank you very much boomerang!